Author Topic: Hyde School, Organizational Incest  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School, Organizational Incest
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Vocal minority! :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »
On 2006-03-31 08:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-31 03:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

IT is not surprising to me that the notion of an internal moral compass, and that that compass should be a key part of leadership scares you.  Again Joe never claimed to be a "higher power" in the context of Bill Wilson's writings, or a prophet as claimed in another thread."

He might not have claimed to be a "higher power" in the one letter, but he certainly has claimed it in the past and seems to still be doing it.

Truth is there is nothing wrong with the leader of this school running it whatever way he wants. It is not for any of us to say. What is important is that potential parents go in with their eyes wide open based on truth rather than the false hype the school dishes out."

Joe has never claimed to be a higher power in the sense in which the term was coined in Bill Wilsons "Blue Book."  The fact that you are willing to lie about that and are unwilling to 'fess up when confronted with your mendacious malarkey, shows you for the "spinless chameolion" ( thank Jim) that you are.  No wonder you failed at hyde. You are a bald face liar.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
Quite the contrary.  I graduated Hyde and was thought of as a leader.  I played their game which is easy to do unless you are totally screwed up. Do you not think that it sticks with me the times I was laying in bed in my dorm listening to one of the girls throwing up in the bathroom because she had an eating disorder?  According to Hyde's rules you must report this or you can go on 2-4.  Well I reported this and what do you think they did?  Seminars, group, with a VERY young gay teacher straight out of college with no experience with bulimia no less girls.  

I don't think much about Hyde, but when I start writing I then become sad knowing that Hyde can and has been harmful to many kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
On 2006-04-01 14:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Quite the contrary.  I graduated Hyde and was thought of as a leader.  I played their game which is easy to do unless you are totally screwed up. Do you not think that it sticks with me the times I was laying in bed in my dorm listening to one of the girls throwing up in the bathroom because she had an eating disorder?  According to Hyde's rules you must report this or you can go on 2-4.  Well I reported this and what do you think they did?  Seminars, group, with a VERY young gay teacher straight out of college with no experience with bulimia no less girls.  

I don't think much about Hyde, but when I start writing I then become sad knowing that Hyde can and has been harmful to many kids."

This is exactly what I experienced at Hyde.  Incident after incident involving other students with major problems-drugs, eating disorders, depression.  Like you said, the school dealt with this stuff in seminars run by teachers who are barely out of college, dealing with their own issues, completely out of their league, etc.  THAT was Hyde, and I bet it still is.  I feel real bad for those students who didn't get the help they needed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
would you please post the letter?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

"Quite the contrary.  I graduated Hyde and was thought of as a leader.  I played their game which is easy to do unless you are totally screwed up. Do you not think that it sticks with me the times I was laying in bed in my dorm listening to one of the girls throwing up in the bathroom because she had an eating disorder?  According to Hyde's rules you must report this or you can go on 2-4.  Well I reported this and what do you think they did?  Seminars, group, with a VERY young gay teacher straight out of college with no experience with bulimia no less girls.  

I don't think much about Hyde, but when I start writing I then become sad knowing that Hyde can and has been harmful to many kids."

If you played hyde as a game then you are a failure. I never turned anyone in at hyde because  I thought it was wrong.  I dispised the kids like you that did it as a game to get through.  I was open about my resistance to the policy. Isn't intergrity one of the five words?

Back to my point I would like see some proof that Joe claimed he was a "Higher Power".  I  AA the group will offer to be though of as a higher power for athiests, so I am not talking about that.  So me a email or a document in which he claimed to be a god.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
On 2006-04-02 07:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

If you played hyde as a game then you are a failure. I never turned anyone in at hyde because  I thought it was wrong.  I dispised the kids like you that did it as a game to get through.  I was open about my resistance to the policy. Isn't intergrity one of the five words?

Back to my point I would like see some proof that Joe claimed he was a "Higher Power".  I  AA the group will offer to be though of as a higher power for athiests, so I am not talking about that.  So me a email or a document in which he claimed to be a god."

I am sorry.  That was harsh.  I understand why you did what you did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »

"

Back to my point I would like see some proof that Joe claimed he was a "Higher Power".  I  AA the group will offer to be though of as a higher power for athiests, so I am not talking about that.  So me a email or a document in which he claimed to be a god."

No, I am not a failure and in fact I have become very successful.  I do not judge success by the amount of money I am making, I judge it by my integrity, humility, honesty, and kindness to others.  I am a great success when I look at myself this way and guess what?  Hyde had nothing to do with it.  I take that back, Hyde did have something to do with it.  I was repulsed by the sicko's running Hyde and realized that I needed to work on myself in the right way rather than "the Hyde way."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 01:23:00 AM »
Dear Hyde-DC Faculty;

I apologize for the length of this email, but I ask you to read it thoughtfully, because I believe the basic issue is critical to what Hyde-DC could and should be.

Now that you all have had to think about and respond to the Wednesday Wrap up Confrontation, I want to address what I believe to be the deeper issue that was involved.

I was encouraged by faculty members who made it a point to express their appreciation for what I did, but disappointed that only one faculty member directly addressed his concerns and strong disapproval for my performance. If I am reading the entire faculty correctly, there were many more who were also upset with the way I handled the situation. If so, the fact they have yet to directly express their disapproval or concerns to me or Joanne signifies a serious weakness in faculty leadership.

Further, speaking frankly, I don't believe Ms. Cooke would have refused my directive to stop if she did not feel strong faculty support for her position. Events eventually made it clear that some middle school teachers have been upset by the leadership conflict between Mr. Djassou and Ms. Goubourn, and the wrap up became the very wrong choice to vent those concerns. What happened was very disrespectful to both Mr. Djassou and Ms. Goubourn, and their extensive efforts to resolve the leadership issue of Mr. Djassou.

However, I feel the larger problem at the wrap up was the failure of senior faculty members to provide moral leadership for the entire faculty. If such behavior was in fact known to be unacceptable to veteran faculty members, this professional confrontation and breakdown in authority would never have occurred.

Hyde uniquely addresses personal growth of teachers as well as students, parents and families. However seminars are expressly designed for this purpose, which are distinctly separate from our professional responsibilities. If there are internal conflicts and concerns, they should be directed to Joanne's administration, and not in a public forum like a wrap up.

This ugly situation revealed a huge gap in Hyde's discipline, and a damaging weakness in our administrative structure. Joanne had asked me to conduct the wrap up, which became sidetracked by issues that should have been addressed to Joanne directly and had no business being expressed in a professional workshop. Once it got out of hand, I asked Ms. Cooke 3 times to stop, finally directing her to leave. The fact that many faculty members left with or after Ms. Cooke revealed a major teacher insubordination of Hyde authority.

At this point my anger was directed at the faculty as a whole; how could the faculty tolerate and remain oblivious to this blatant example of unprofessional behavior and its damage to our organization? How many teachers have expressed their concerns to those who acted unprofessionally? Clearly there is a double standard at Hyde; accepting and sometimes even supporting attitudes and behavior of colleagues they definitely would never tolerate in their students.

This situation was perhaps the biggest disappointment in my 53 years of teaching; I had felt Hyde-DC was much farther along than this. However I do believe in the overall potential of the DC faculty, and I am very hopeful the situation will trigger the emergence of the moral leaders in our faculty.

I am examining how I might have handled the situation more effectively. I also believe it is critical for every faculty member to thoughtfully examine their own role. If we are going to accept the moral leadership role with our students, we certainly must express it with each other.

Those concerned with the Djassou-Goubourn conflict should have taken their concerns directly to Joanne; she is the moral leader and ultimate authority of the Hyde community. Equally important, other faculty members should have urged them to do so. The responsibility begins not with the administration, but with the faculty. This is the example the entire Hyde community needs. We cannot lead students and parents if we cannot lead ourselves.

One of the greatest strengths I see in the Hyde-Bath and Hyde-Woodstock faculties is their ability to examine themselves and acknowledge their shortcomings and mistakes–an absolutely essential quality of leaders. They do have the advantage of experiencing deeper seminars than we presently have in DC, but it is a challenge we must address in DC. We have too many situations where the first impulse is to protect oneself from constructive criticism, which is a powerful means to help us become our best.

We all need to understand the structure of Hyde. Hyde-DC seeks to become a powerful and nationally recognized educational organization, which deserves to be replicated. We are governed by a dedicated group of nine trustees, including two Hyde parents, who regularly assess and guide the leadership of our head of school.

At their meeting last Thursday, the board strongly expressed their confidence and trust in Ms. Goubourn's leadership. However they also directed her to reduce her working hours until she resolves her medical situation. Adding to this the vital training period of Dr. Frierson to manage the school, we should all realize that the emergence of the moral leadership of the faculty is more important than ever before.

We recently had the national example of what Terrell Owen's ego did to undermine the proud Philadelphia Eagles organization. The lesson is that no individual is greater than the whole. The Eagles may struggle this season, but they have restored the integrity of their institution.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." I know there are potentially strong leaders in our DC faculty, and I look forward to their emergence.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. Regards Joe

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
On 2006-04-05 20:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

No, I am not a failure and in fact I have become very successful.  I do not judge success by the amount of money I am making, I judge it by my integrity, humility, honesty, and kindness to others.  I am a great success when I look at myself this way and guess what?  Hyde had nothing to do with it.  I take that back, Hyde did have something to do with it.  I was repulsed by the sicko's running Hyde and realized that I needed to work on myself in the right way rather than "the Hyde way."  "

Hyde works well when it works.  When it does not it fails miserably.  I saw this conflict in situations were the question "Is hyde for hyde or is hyde for the people is serves"
 There in the dark history of hyde is an instance where for the good of hyde a parent was asked to concent to something that would threaten his livelihood.  When this fellow demured he and his family were driven out in a public meeting. Not satisfied with this Joe drove a wedge between this fellow and his children.

Was this good for Hyde?   No
Was this good for the family?  NO

Going back to the AA model "priciples before personalities"  My concern then and remains now is that to some degree hyde is a personality cult where individuals in power are allowed to act mecurically without regard to principle.

Offline Joey Shakes -Moitoza

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
I LOVE HYDE

NOT!!!
orry Joey but its true you shake alot Thanks Moitoza for the inspiration

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 22:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

Hyde-DC seeks to become a powerful and nationally recognized educational organization, which deserves to be replicated.

This is the scariest part of that letter.