Author Topic: Teacher suspended for stating that some comparing Bush to Hi  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Teacher suspended for stating that some comparing Bush to Hi
« on: March 03, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
From the way it reads the guy was suspended for saying that some people have compared Bush to Hitler.  It looks like the teacher didn't even actually say it himself, just a reference to others.
 :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/03/03 ... index.html

Teacher on leave for anti-Bush remarks

Friday, March 3, 2006; Posted: 9:56 a.m. EST (14:56 GMT)

AURORA, Colorado (AP) -- About 150 high school students walked out of class to protest a decision to put a teacher on leave while they investigate remarks he made about President Bush in class, including that some people compare Bush to Adolf Hitler.

The protest came Thursday as administrators began investigating whether Overland High School teacher Jay Bennish violated a policy requiring balancing viewpoints in the classroom, Cherry Creek School District spokeswoman Tustin Amole said.

"It was peaceful. The students yelled, but there was no fighting," Amole said. "Most of them did return to class."

A telephone number listed for Bennish, who has been teaching social studies and American history at Overland since 2000, had been disconnected.

Sophomore Sean Allen recorded about 20 minutes of Bennish's class during a February 1 discussion about Bush's State of the Union speech and gave the recording to his father, who complained to the principal, Amole said.

"After listening to the tape, it's evident the comments in the class were inappropriate. There were not adequate opportunities for opposing points of view," she said.

Deborah Fallin, spokeswoman for the Colorado Education Association, which represents about 37,000 union teachers, said it will not represent Bennish because he is not a member, but said that Bennish has hired an attorney.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »
I know what it's like to be "Bush-Whacked" and DHS is the Third Riech Headquarters. They guy was telling the truth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Why is there a scandal everytime someone mentions the word "Hitler"...? Americans have been thoroughly propogandized.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »
Hitler was smarter than Bush, fwiw

The propaganda machine is out of control. Americans seem to have no idea how reviled Bush is worldwide.

Facism was really corporatism, the state and financial/industrial interests were all that mattered. Sound familiar? Keep the rifraf scared, tell them you will protect them, and they will keep you in power. And don't forget to appeal to the nationalism (but call it patriotism) in your people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »
On 2006-03-04 06:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Why is there a scandal everytime someone mentions the word "Hitler"...? Americans have been thoroughly propogandized."

Exactly what came to my mind. You can mention Stalin, Mao or other WWII era leaders who were much more 'evil' than hitler and get nothing as close to the response.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
Hitler = firebombed his own reichstag
Bush = 9-11

Offline mandelduke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
I think that's a damm good comparison a lot of us feel that way.  He's more like Hitler then most people know..

Tuesday 09 November 2004
    Associate United States Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson was the chief prosecutor at the Nuremberg Tribunal. In his report to the State Department, Justice Jackson wrote: "No political or economic situation can justify" the crime of aggression. He also said: "If certain acts in violation of treaties are crimes they are crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does them, and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct against

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »
I agree with one of the other posters. This really is an insult to Hitler.

For one thing, Hitler's approval ratings were MUCH higher than Bush's are right now.

I guess maybe one of the few things they do have in common is awesome spin machines. Although Hitler's was still a lot better. Goebbels trounces Rove in that department.

Thirdly, as far as I know, Bush isn't a scat and golden shower fetishist.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
I hate Hitler, but he was a genius, and Bush is a dunce.  

But frankly, the fact that over half our country voted for him does not speak well of our collective intellect.

All of Bush's mistakes could be predicted by anyone with common sense from the outset.
hanlea

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 02:49:00 AM »
But frankly, the fact that over half our country voted for him does not speak well of our collective intellect

I think that speaks more to what a fucking shit bag of a loser Kerry was. Shit, man. I mean, if you lose to BUSH, then you must really suck!

As one comedian put it, we had a choice between a lying idiot, or someone who reminds us of a tree from the wizard of oz.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Bush is far worse than a lying idiot. I mean that is such an extreme understatment. And hell,  a tree rom the wizard of oz would have done far less global damage than the jack ass we have now. So, yes, I'd vote for the tree from OZ--or any tree--for that matter rather than Bush.

And I stand by statements about the American public who voted for him. ESPECIALLY the second time!
hanlea

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
I think that I shall never see
A candidate as lovely as a tree

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »
excellent poetree

Kerry was a real dead tree stump alright, he only said anything wothwhile when it was too late, too fookin' timid

However, I have to agree with shanlea's comments, how anyone could vote for him in 2004 after he had screwed up a good bit of the world, is beyond me.

I have a grave fear he will have a new war underway for the elections this year, and the American public will line up behind him as they did last time. Republicans will blindly support him until he does something that hurts them personally. Democrats will support him in sufficient numbers that GOP will retain control in Congress. We are screwed.

I pray I am wrong. Let's take back our country!

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
The problem with America is we don't read varied news sources;we are sucked in by sound bites (more and more important with the advent of 24/7 news); and we vote according to who would be fun to have over at a BBQ than for someone who is best able to run the country. Kerry always said that issues pertaining to domestic and foreign policy shouldn't be summed up in a sound bite--they are too damn complicated. But increasingly, we even want convoluted issues McDonaldized for public consumption. It really doesn't say much about our brain power.

Additionally, the theological aspect of politics scares the living bejesus out of me. The last thing I want is to live in a theocracy. Religion should stay out of it. Those who don't think you can be a moral and ethical person without a religious code governing your life are essentiallly too weak and deficient to have developed an internal basis of right and wrong.

The most ethical and moral people I know are agnostic or atheistic--they are generous of spirit and strive to do the right thing on an intrisic level--they don't need an external framework to direct them (and sometimes misguide them) accordingly.

Maybe I'm just venting because I live out in the boondocks with religious dogmatics.  And I see people suffering needlessly for it.

Historically, religion has been used to oppress people, keep them in line, give them a feeling of both shame and guilt AND moral superiority, and remove intellectual thinking from the process. This is helpful, because without logic and intellectual reasoning, you have little resources to fight dogma. That is why my friend's father in Iran (who advocated religious freedom) was jailed and killed-he was an intellectual and religious progressive who was charged with "thinking against the government." He was also a nonviolent pacifist--it was his thinking that drew fire.

Today, I feel we are increasingly asked to support platforms and policy based on religious grounds. This is not a healthy development.

I  don't know what it would take to get people to think more deeply on the issues, but even the powerful Roman empire fell.

The next President needs to focus on re-developing strong foreign ties (we don't live in a world where we can be the lone rangers, making unilateral decisions anymore), and keeping religious moral issues a private matter that people can attend to at home or at church or by creating programs independent of the government.  Let the government do their job of dealing with global, domnestic, and economic concerns.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
:nworthy: :tup:  Wow!A good bit of what you have said there is one of my ongoing arguments; that Americans are disinterested in pursuing information, so we are ripe for propaganda/dogma.

As a nation, we want to be told the answers, and we want them in soundbites, alright. We want it all simple, black and white. That comment of Kerry's was one of his useful ones, but per usual, he dropped the ball and did not go on the attack to explain it, and it was used in soundbites to hurt him - amazing, and sad.

I spend a good bit of time spreading background information on political topics around. People are so drawn in by dogma, they never know the facts behind the issues. I try to have a disparate group of sources, makes it hard for someone to shoot down your argument. I love it when someone arguing with me says only "I saw it somewhere on the internet". If they gripe about a quote from the NY Times, give 'em one from the Washington *Moonie* Times. The media for both sides spew out lots of facts, and results of studies, etc.,but rarely expound. They merely state something, then act as if it automatically supports their agenda. Fox News comes to mind. And the NY Times, forever a target of the Right, was blatantly used as a propaganda outlet for the BushCo warmongers. Yeah, they sure are a leftist media outlet!

It is sad what has been done by organized religion. I am not an athiest. But, I figure if Jesus appeared today, he would be in Guantanemo in a very short time, or else straight out lynched. It seems that virtually anything He spoke out on, is routinely ignored by the religions formed in His name. Organized religion is all about intolerance, sadly. It's just another place for people to turn when looking for quick answers.

That's enough drivel for now.

Keep up the good work, Shanlea