Author Topic: Need your help to curb child abuse in Massachusetts  (Read 662 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Need your help to curb child abuse in Massachusetts
« on: March 02, 2006, 05:22:00 PM »
Department of Social Services wants hitting children kept legal

The Department of Social Services in Massachusetts (DSS) oversees all child abuse cases and foster care in that state. Despite support from dozens of other Massachusetts organizations, as well as legislators, activists and voters, DSS has rejected all proposed laws to curb corporal punishment of children, even hitting and hot-saucing infants! They -- who should be in the forefront of reform -- are standing in the way of legal reform to protect children!

You can ask DSS to change their position by emailing the Commissioner of DSS, Harry Spence, at [email protected].  You can also call DSS at: (617) 748-2000 or (617) 748-2329. You might remind them that their first priority is protecting children and stopping child abuse! Studies show that about half of all child abuse cases in Massachusetts are the result of legal corporal punishment. About 2,000 children die and nearly 150,000 children are injured in the US each year from corporal punishment. The time is past due for those who are mandated to protect children to become proactive in curbing abuse, and not wait until after a child is injured or dead.  

Silence=complicity. PTAVE implores every reader of this message to act now. Telephone, e-mail or both.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan Riak, Exec. Dir., Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education (PTAVE), P.O. Box 1033, Alamo, CA 94507-7033. Web site: "Project NoSpank" at http://www.nospank.net  Telephone: (925) 831-1661
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Need your help to curb child abuse in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
Dear Mr. Spence:
It has been brought to my attention that DSS has rejected all proposed laws to curb corporal punishment of children, even hitting and hot-saucing infants. Could you please explain to me why DSS has taken this position? I believe it should go without saying that children and infants should not be beaten, should not be hot-sauced, should not be struck by an adult many times their size. It has been proven time and again that hitting and assaulting children is damaging to the child. There are other more productive ways to deal with children and infants.

Consider the chart below where I illustrate a comparison of child weight, adult weight, and the difference between them:

Child/Infant    Adult      Difference
10 lbs          150 lbs  (15x)    2,250 lbs
30 lbs          150 lbs  (30x)    750 lbs
60 lbs          200 lbs ( 3.33x)  666 lbs

What I am trying to point out is that if a baby weighs 10 pounds and is struck by an adult weighing 150 pounds, there is a 15 times difference in their weight. Therefore, it would compare to an adult weighing 150 pounds being struck by someone weighing 2,250 pounds! A 30 pound child struck by a 150 pound adult is like a 150 pound adult being struck by someone weighing 750 pounds, and a child weighing 60 pounds being struck by an adult weighing 200 pounds is like a 200 pound adult being struck by someone weighing 666 pounds. The force can be deadly without much effort.

It has been proven time and again that spanking and assaulting children and infants is damaging to the child. There are far superior ways to raise a child.

Please consider this. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." We hear this all the time. People believe they must hit a child in order that they do not spoil their child. What they fail to do is dig a little deeper, research what that means. In the bible, where this is referenced, the rod is a shepherd's rod. Shepherds never hit their sheep. The rod is simply used to guide the sheep. Therefore, the message is to spare the guidance and you will spoil the child. Guidance, Mr. Spence, is very different from striking a child into compliance.

It is my understanding that the Department of Social Services in Massachusetts (DSS) oversees all child abuse cases and foster care in that state. It is further my understanding that despite support from dozens of other Massachusetts organizations, as well as legislators, activists and voters, DSS has rejected all proposed laws to curb corporal punishment of children, even hitting and hot-saucing infants! They -- who should be in the forefront of reform -- are standing in the way of legal reform to protect children!

I am writing to ask that you do whatever you can to stop corporal punishment of children.

Children are innocent and should have the same rights that you and I have. We have the right to be safe. We never have to be concerned about being struck by an adult weighing 2,250 pounds! Where are the children?s rights? Please, as the Commissioner of DSS, I ask that you do what you can to help see to it that children are protected.

Nothing positive can be gained from corporal punishment, in my opinion. Children can successfully be raised without ever being hit, belittled, berated, embarrassed. They can become happy, loving, kind, and productive adults. I know, I raised kids without hitting them and know many other who have done the same. .

So please, be sure that children do not need to be hit in order for them to become good, productive citizens. Children need love and guidance.

I ask that DSS change their position as protecting children should and must be your first priority. Taking this step is the first step to stopping child abuse! Corporal punishment inflicted upon children should never, in my opinion, be legal. Ever!

About 2,000 children die and nearly 150,000 children are injured in the US each year from corporal punishment. The time is past due for those who are mandated to protect children to become proactive in curbing abuse, and not wait until after a child is injured or dead.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please feel free to call me should you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »