Author Topic: Dewey, Cheetham & Howe fan club  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Dewey, Cheetham & Howe fan club
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
http://DCHFans.org/

Nothing of value to the individual happens by coercion.

--Plato

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
Better get lawyered up quick folks, Eudora isn't going to have enough money to go around if this stands.

New Federal Anti-Stalking Bill Raising Concern Over Vague Rules Governing the Internet
USA TODAY
Richard Willing
February 15, 2006

the First Amendment and Free Speech.

WASHINGTON -- It didn't get much publicity, but an anti-stalking bill passed by Congress recently makes it a federal crime to "annoy" someone over the Internet.

And that's really beginning to bug some people.

It's a stupid law that has slipped in under the radar," says Clinton Fein, a San Francisco-based artist who runs annoy.com, a website that he says offers "unique and irreverent" commentary on politics and culture. "Who says what's officially annoying? Is that a business we really want our government to be in?"

The law makes it a crime to anonymously "annoy, abuse, threaten or harass" another person over the Internet.

Rep. Jim McDermott of Washington inserted the provision into legislation that reauthorized the federal Violence Against Women Act. It carries a prison sentence of up to two years and an unspecified fine for those convicted of violations. President Bush signed the bill into law Jan. 5.

McDermott said he was prompted to act by the case of Joelle Ligon, a Seattle woman who was sent menacing e-mails, falsely accused of resume-padding in messages to co-workers and impersonated in sex-oriented Internet chat rooms from 1998 to 2003.

Some of the communications were traced to a former boyfriend in South Carolina. He was sentenced to five years of probation and 500 hours of community service after he was prosecuted under a federal telecommunications law that protects against harassment.

To eliminate questions over whether phone law applied to the Internet, McDermott pressed for the new legislation. The language "annoy, abuse, threaten or harass" was taken directly from the telephone law.

Mike DeCesare, a spokesman for McDermott, says the new law is not intended to curb free speech.

"This is about bad people doing bad things. ... It relates to somebody who does something to somebody else," he says. "It's not about posting something on a message board. It's got to be direct, one-to-one communication."

No one has been prosecuted under the new law, DeCesare says.

Critics aren't satisfied. Fein says it is unclear whether the law refers to annoying "conduct" or simply an e-mail whose message irritates its recipient.

"No one knows what this means," Fein says. "That in itself has a chilling effect."

Barry Steinhardt, a lawyer who specializes in privacy issues at the American Civil Liberties Union in New York City, says the new law's chief problem is the "subjective nature" of the word annoy. "Words like threaten, harass and abuse can be defined by what a reasonable person understands them to mean," he says. "Anyone who's ever had their spam filter stop something they wanted, or let something through that they didn't, knows that deciding what is annoying is something else again."

He says the ACLU is considering whether to ask a federal court to declare the new law unconstitutional because it's too vague.

A scholar who specializes in cyber law says the law could be difficult to overturn. Susan Brenner, a University of Dayton law professor and a consultant to the Secret Service on cyber laws, says courts likely would read "annoy" together with the words that follow it -- "abuse, threaten or harass" -- and conclude that the law refers to specific behavior.

In 2004, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit used that reasoning to uphold the conviction of Erik Bowker, an Ohio man who had stalked a Youngstown television reporter via telephone.

But in 1999, a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., ruled that a  could not be prosecuted for "annoying" conduct because he had telephoned the U.S. attorney seven times to complain about a case that had been brought against him. The calls, the court found, were political speech protected by the First Amendment.

David Hudson, a lawyer with the First Amendment Center, a speech-rights advocacy group in Nashville, says the different ways that courts have interpreted the word "annoy" make the new anti-stalking law "ripe for a challenge."

To see more of USAToday.com, or to subscribe, go to http://www.usatoday.com

© Copyright 2006 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.

See More News Stories

Home | Feedback | Site Map
525 Arch Street, Independence Mall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19106 ph.215.409.6600
Content Copyright 2006, National Constitution Center. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy  
 :cry2:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Why don't you do a little research before you go shooting your mouth off.  I don't think Eudora has sent HLA or any of its staff or clients any emails.  That's what they're talking about.  It really doesn't apply to hosting a website where others post information.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
For those of you with limited reading comprehension skills, let me parse out from the prior article:

"Fein says it is unclear whether the law refers to annoying "conduct" or simply an e-mail whose message irritates its recipient.

"No one knows what this means," Fein says. "That in itself has a chilling effect."

So before you open your mouth, anon...oh forget it, I wouldn't want to "annoy" you.
 :cry2:

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
Does anyone know where he got his Psychology
Degree from??  No one can seem to turn it up???

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 02:33:00 AM »
On 2006-03-03 18:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"For those of you with limited reading comprehension skills, let me parse out from the prior article:

"Fein says it is unclear whether the law refers to annoying "conduct" or simply an e-mail whose message irritates its recipient.

So before you open your mouth, anon...oh forget it, I wouldn't want to "annoy" you.

"

Ottawa,
If you believe Fornits to be a little cyber-den, a tiny crevice of the world, WHY in the world do you come here and continue to ANNOY, ATTACK, HARRASS, THREATEN survivors? You are one of the worst offenders. Your research is done. What is your obsession with such an ?insignificant? site?

Go back to the Carlbrook/CEDU threads and stop annoying the readers of the HLA forum?

BTW, did anyone every cough up the name of DJ's employer for you? Which catagory would that fall under? Stalking? One not mentioned.

"This is about bad people doing bad things. ... It relates to somebody who does something to somebody else," he says. "It's not about posting something on a message board. It's got to be direct, one-to-one communication."

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2006-03-22 12:18 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Look, Karen, or whoever you are, the "new internet law" is basically an extension of existing aggravated harrassment laws in most every state.  

It is a crime to INTENTIONALLY "annoy, harass or threaten" others.  Recently, in my state, the harassment law has been significantly weakened as well.  It is no longer a criminal offense to post material on the internet that someone feels is "annoying, threatening or harassing" SO LONG AS IT IS TRUE or that there is a REASONABLE EXPECTATION that it is true.

What has been done to ME is harassment.  I have not harassed any other party.  If you don't like what I have to say then leave and don't come back.  It's really that simple.

As far as the information on HLA that was sent to me, well, I'm glad you're not my attorney, as you're a piss poor one.  I already HAVE retained a lawyer who specializes in first amendment rights and she says, flat out, that you are full of shit, as we all have known for some time.

You have been trolling this site threatening lawsuits for over a year and you've done exactly NOTHING and you will do only more of the same.  Keep up the good work.  No wonder you're still unemployed: you're so full of shit that your eyes are brown.

BTW, Deborah asked a good question.  While you were soliciting information about my workplace for the express purpose of harassing me and causing me financial damage, you were knowingly breaking the law.  How 'bout I make a formal request for your ISP's records and share them with the BAR association?  Aren't attorneys held to a higher standard than this?  You are one pathetic individual.

Incdidentally, why does it make you so mad that HLA, ASR and Carlbrook are being exposed to the light of day?  The lid has been blown off HLA and ASR and Carlbrook are only a couple of steps behind.  It only takes time to get documentation.  HLA lasted a decade before the whistle-blowers came out with solid evidence and documentation and reported to the proper authorities.  I have good reason to believe the others won't last as long.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
DC&H hit Clarke Poole with a cease and desist letter the day after he sent internal email documentation of HLA's "improprieties" to 25 EdCons who do business with HLA.  They don't waste any time, do they?

The story I'm getting is that he's a "fighter" and is going to pay the requisite price to fight the machine.  It will be very interesting indeed when all of his other records come to light under discovery.  I would bet he's got enough dirt to bury the place either legally or by reputation.  We'll have to wait and see...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
I've added a little more to my Dewey Cheetham & Howe Fan Website. Anyone want to send me some copies of your autographed letters?

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes