Author Topic: Coral Reef Academy  (Read 13265 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Coral Reef Academy
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »
BODIN: Terrible, terrible company that is based completely on $money$ interests. Money from the child's referral to the program, and money from the vulnerable parent's who are impressionable and believe the "expert advice" bodin gives them. If Bodin knows what they are doing so much, why don't they open up their own damn program??! And why don't the ever check up on these places they refer the kids to? They sent me to an abusive program too. This is no OK, especially when youth is involved and treated worse then inmates on death row. Complete con artists... Something has to be done. :flame:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:54 PM »
Hmmm. Might the enrollment numbers be dropping off?

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Breaking News
Posted: Jan 11, 2009

Coral Reef Academy
Somoa

Coral Reef Academy Discounts Tuition

Admissions
702-233-0444
http://www.coralreefacademy.com

January 7, 2009

As you are all aware, as a result of the tightening economy it has become more and more difficult for clients to select an affordable treatment option for their students. To help address this problem, from Jan 1 until March 31 2009, we at Coral Reef Academy will extend a 30% discounted tuition rate to your clients. This will equal a rate of $4,500 a month, allowing families and clients to choose a placement that has a proven track record of success coupled with an excellent level of care.

We look forward to working with you and your clients in the near future and wish you all good health and prosperity in the coming New Year!

Please contact us with any questions or to request additional information.

Coral Reef Academy
PMB C18 9101 W Sahara Ave, Suite 105
Las Vegas, Nevada 89117

Copyright © 2009, Woodbury Reports, Inc.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 01:31:47 AM »
Here are brief bios for most of the staff listed on Coral Reef Academy's website. Unfortunately there were no brief bios for the two Founders (I took their pics from the Home Page).

Outside of the locals, Second Nature @ Blue Ridge seems to be a common element in a few bios, as well as one or more unnamed RTCs in Utah. I think the "adolescent therapeutic boarding school located in Bahia de Kino, Mexico" referred to in Lu Vaughn's bio may be Positive Impact. Color emphasis mine.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Our People

RODNEY RICE
Founder
702 233 0444

DAVID SMYTH
Founder
702 233 0444

BREDA TIPI-FAITUA
Director of Operations
Vonage: 801 805 6925

Breda's focus includes Educational and Residential services in addition to other core administration related services within the program. She graduated from the University of the South Pacific (Fiji) with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in English Language-Literature and Public Administration. She then continued on to Auckland College of Education (New Zealand) and graduated with a Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching. Further studies at Massey University (New Zealand) resulted in a Postgraduate Diploma in Public Sector Management. Breda has recently completed her MBA from the University of the South Pacific. Breda's teaching career commenced at the top government high school "Samoa College", where she taught English language and literature from junior to senior high school levels. From Samoa College Breda moved into a position as an English language and literature lecturer at the National University of Samoa. Breda was appointed as Head of the National University of Samoa's English department in 1994. Since her appointment at Coral Reef Academy, in 1997, she has continued to connect with Education by tutoring an evening class "English for Academic Purposes" for the University of the South Pacific.

Breda is of Samoan and Tongan descent and was born in Auckland New Zealand and is married with three daughters. She has recently been blessed with her first grandchild.

LU VAUGHN
Clinical Director
Vonage: 585 298 9770

Lu's education includes a Bachelor in Social work from Mars Hill College, a Master in Public Affairs and a MS in Community Counseling, both from Western Carolina University. She is also a Licensed Professional Counselor. Prior to becoming a clinician, Lu worked as a Program Director with Boy's Clubs of America and was a municipal Recreation and Parks Director. Her clinical experience includes 7 years with the State of North Carolina Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Center, Director of an adult therapeutic community, Primary Therapist and Clinical Director for an adolescent therapeutic boarding school located in Bahia de Kino, Mexico and Primary Therapist and Assistant Clinical Director at Second Nature Wilderness Program, Blue Ridge. Lu specializes in addictions treatment along treating oppositional defiance, adoption issues, behavioral issues and family issues.

Outside of her experience Lu brings a love of adventure and travel to the CRA and My Choice programs. She believes in challenging herself and her students to get outside of their comfort zones to learn more about themselves and the world around them. Lu also has a love for animals and traveled to Samoa with both her dog Lucky and her cat Smokey.

JEFF STEWART
Therapist

Jeff Stewart is currently working as a program therapist for My Choice and Coral Reef Academy. He has a Bachelor degree in Family Studies from Central Michigan University and a Master in Marriage and Family Therapy from Purdue University Calumet.

Jeff has worked with adolescents in various settings including alternative education high schools, summer youth programs, individual therapy, family therapy, and court mandated therapy. He has helped adolescents work through problems involving poor parent-child relations, substance abuse, anger management, oppositional defiance, poor school performance, low self-esteem, and various other issues.

Jeff grew up the youngest of 4 in Flint, Michigan. He also spent a lot of time throughout his life in the Houston, Texas area. Jeff spent the three years before coming to Samoa in the greater metropolitan area of Chicago finishing his education and providing therapy for individual, couples, and families.

In his off time Jeff enjoys playing guitar, listening to music, hiking, photography, and exploring the islands.

ANDY FERGUSON
Therapist

Andy was raised in Provo, Utah. He is the seventh child of nine in a blended family. He grew up teaching tennis and skiing lessons to young children and adolescents in his community. Andy knew from this young age that he loved to connect with people and wanted to pursue social work.

Andy received his bachelors in Psychology as well as his Masters in Social Work from Brigham Young University. Andy worked for four years in residential treatment for adolescents in Utah prior to receiving his Master's degree. During his time working in the residential department, Andy worked with adolescents struggling with addiction, depression, personality disorders, family issues, and anxiety. Andy's clinical experience includes counseling individuals, couples, and families at LDS Family services as well as counseling young children and adolescents at an outpatient Medicaid facility.

Andy moved to Samoa in May of 2008 with his wife and young son, Tyler. He enjoys playing tennis and being active outdoors. He also has a talent for photography and will often take pictures of the students to send home to parents.

BRYAN MARKS
Admissions Coordinator
702 233 0444

Bryan was raised in Western New York and has spent 7 of the past 10 years in Samoa. He speaks fluent Samoan and considers Samoa his second home.

Bryan received his BS in Health Science with a specialization in Substance Abuse Counseling from The State University of New York at Brockport. He has completed his Substance Abuse Professional Certificate and is also a Certified Behavioral Technician. Bryan has worked in several treatment settings and has found his home at Coral Reef Academy and My Choice working to help potential parents and students make the ever important decision to see if CRA Samoa is right for their son, loved one, or themselves.

In Bryan's free time he likes to read, hike, listen to music, coach baseball, and volunteering with local treatment organizations.

JULIA FERGUSON
Parent Liaison

Julia was raised in the suburbs of Chicago. She attended Brigham Young University in Utah and graduated in 2004 with a degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development. Prior to her family's move to Samoa, Julia worked for five years at a residential treatment center for adolescent girls in Utah. She worked as a residential supervisor for several years, as well as a physical education instructor. After the birth of her son in March of 2007, she began work from home as an Alumni Coordinator and assisted in developing the school's transition program. As the parent liaison, Julia brings experience from many aspects of residential treatment. As she addresses parents' questions and sends weekly photos, Julia helps parents feel in touch with the program and most importantly their son, from a distance.

In Julia's free time she enjoys spending time outdoors with her husband, Andy, a Coral Reef therapist, and young son, Tyler. She also enjoys exercise, especially running in road races. Julia has lived in Samoa since May of 2008.

NICHOLAS LAWRENSON
Experiential Coordinator

Nick joins the Coral Reef Academy team from the beautiful pacific island of New Zealand. He received his BA is Pacific Island Studies from BYU, Hawaii. Aside from being well versed in the pacific island culture Nick also has experience in working with at risk youth. He has served as a probation officer and is well versed in addiction and recovery processes. He assisted in the family drug courts in the state of Hawaii. He brings a love and knowledge of the South Pacific and its people to our program. He is skilled in many local traditions such as Maori Art, wood carving, Cook Island Drumming, and Kapa Haka. He is able to not only share his knowledge of the region but brings an understanding of the meaning it has within community. He also brings a love for all things physical. He enjoys jogging, surfing, camping, hiking, fishing, and he is the former featherweight Australian and Queensland title holder in Muay Thai Kickboxing.

ALLISON HUGHES
Director of Education

Allison was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. She and her husband Craig moved to Samoa with their two dogs in June 2008. Her excitement to support the students in their academic careers and her eagerness to help students connect with the Samoan people through community service will greatly enhance each students experience at My Choice and Coral Reef Academy.

Allison has a Bachelor's Degree in Forest Environmental Resources from the University of Georgia and a Master's Degree in Education from Georgia College and State University. In early stages of her career, she served as the Undergraduate Coordinator for The Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources at The University of Georgia. In this position, she directed the college and career counseling program, designed to guide students through their college studies and help prepare them for life after graduation. Through this experience, Allison developed a passion for working with young adults. This led her to Georgia College and State University where she earned a Master's Degree in Education, with specialization in Outdoor and Environmental Education.

In the most recent years, Allison has served as an educator and community organizer for Georgia Adopt-A-Stream, the State's volunteer water quality monitoring program. Her experiences as a community organizer will help expand our community service program which will allow the boys leave a positive footprint on Samoan soils.

In her free time, Allison enjoys riding bikes and hiking around the island, learning the Samoan language and spending time with her husband and two dogs.

CRAIG HUGHES
Director of Residential Services

Craig was born in Washington DC and grew up in Clearwater Florida. He studied Outdoor Education at Georgia College & State University. He earned two Bachelor of Science degrees, one in Outdoor Education and the other in Psychology and was named student of the year. Craig has also been an active member with the Association for Experiential Education since 2002. Craig first started working with at-risk youth in 2003 at Second Nature Blue Ridge. There he advanced to a level 5 field instructor, helping fellow field instructors develop their own therapeutic styles.

Craig enjoys holding boundaries with oppositional teenagers and anything that takes place outdoors. He can often be found fishing, biking, hiking, surfing, kayaking (the list goes on) or relaxing with his lovely wife Allison and two dogs Mica and Rusty.

HARRY CARTER
Residential Manager

Harry is our day shift Residential Manager. Harry helps plan and coordinate student activities, works with scheduling, and works with all supervisors and mentors to help them work to the best of their abilities. Harry is often endearingly called "Uncle" due to his friendly and jolly demeanor and his skillful way of teaching life lessons through talks and even jest. Harry has been with us since 1998 and has worked in various roles throughout the company.

Harry and his wife Barbara have two sons and a daughter and Harry spends much of his free time with his children. Harry is an avid rugby supporter and former referee.

FRANK ULBERG
Student Services

Frank has worked for CRA since 2004. He started as a student mentor and worked his way up to Student Services Coordinator. Today he is a Residential Manager for My Choice and Student Services Coordinator for both My Choice and CRA. Frank was born in Samoa but immigrated to New Zealand with his parents at only 18 months old. Although he was raised and educated in New Zealand for over 30 years he never lost his desire to return to Samoa and his cultural roots.

Frank is happily married with 2 boys. In his free time he enjoys walking, movies, music, sports, and maintaining his plantation. Frank has a cattle ranch and plantation on his property. Frank has a kind heart and fierce competitive streak that has allowed him to be a winning softball coach for our students and others.

MARIA BERNARD-ISAIA
Teacher

Maria is a graduate from the University of the South Pacific with a degree in Bachelor of Education majoring in Literature and Language. Maria started with CRA in 2004 as a Teacher Assistant and eventually became a full time Teacher in 2005. Maria has great experience working with young men as she formerly had been teaching for two and a half years for a private owned Missionary High School on the island. She has been a tutor in the National University of Samoa and a marker for Pacific Senior Secondary Exam. Maria is a dedicated worker who strives for the best for her students.

Maria has a loving husband and two beautiful children who she spends as much of her free time with as she can.

CAMILLA STEVENSON-TULUA
Teacher

Camilla has been with Coral Reef Academy since September 2005. She graduated with a major in English and minoring in Public Speaking from the Brigham Young University. She is married to a wonderful Samoan man and they have 3 kids – all boys that she loves to spend every spare moment with. She has been teaching for the past 8 years and has taught middle school and high school aged children in Samoa. Camilla also completed her internship at BYU teaching young adults from various areas of the world including students from Asia, Pacific and Europe. Camilla has an outgoing and warm personality that helps students feel comfortable working with her. Camilla develops a warm and strong relationship with both students and parents to ensure that the educational plan for each student is catered to his own individual need while at the same time keeping with the norms of the Program. Camilla believes in the old saying – "it takes a village to raise a child" and feels we have created our own "village" here at the Coral reef Academy and My Choice Programs which welcomes a student and makes them feel safe while he is with us. Camilla also believes that students will benefit greatly from the cultural experience that he will have here in Samoa and she will continue to help create a nurturing environment which will ensure that our students will enjoy a positive and creative educational experience.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »
They seem to have some kind of a connection to Second Nature. Some time ago one of our volunteers found this link.

http://http://www.n0rkus.com/Samoa/tableofcontents.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
I am a former patient of cra and most if not all of the things posted on this site are extremely exagerated and or false. They were most likely formed in the minds of teens in need of help who took there confusion out on the program they were sent too.... It offends me that parents like yourselves belive this without any evidence besides hear say BS. Check your sources people

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
Why on earth do you think I would have reason to lie about such things?   My son has been permanently damaged by this program, and I want only to protect other kids from having this experience.  I did my due diligence, at least I thought so, but the CRA website presented only series of lies and exaggerations; had I seen this facility, this "academy", I would never have sent my son there.   For those that do not know, Samoa is a third world country.  There is not a plethora of fresh vegetables on the island.  Like all islands many vegetables and fruits have to be imported.  So the highly nutritional diet that the website promised was mostly chicken and rice, fried foods.   The drinking water was filthy.  Ocean waters were polluted by open sewers.  We stayed at the "high end" hotel in Apia and it was disgusting.  During my visit, my son refused dinner every evening.  What he revealed after three days was that  he had been vomiting blood for weeks on end, was hospitalized for dehydration, without my knowledge and without my consent. He was a minor at the time.  I took him to the only western doctor on the island, a bleak, concerning office.  We were told that it was likely parasites and were sent to the local hospital for bloodwork.  I have traveled throughout Asia and India, and never have I seen a hospital as horrifying.  In the end, not only did my son have parasites, he had Hepatitis A.    When he complained continually to the nurse on staff of his ailments, he was accused of manipulation, was told to drink more water, and was bumped down a level.

After his return and his concerning downward spiral, he was diagnosed with PTSD.   I began researching this program and the directors aggressively.  First thing I found was a warning on the Department of State website about behavior modification programs in Samoa.  Had I found this at the start, this program would have been off of the list, without question. Corporal punishment is LEGAL in Samoa.  What parent in their right mind with this information would send a child to this country for "rehabilitation".  
This is an offshore program.  Legal action is impossible.  

I urge all parents to read the book "Help at Any Cost" by Maia Szalavitz.  Szalavitz is a former producer for the Charlie Rose Show and for Bill Moyers - highly respected producer and journalist.  I heard an interview with her on National Public Radio upon my sons return from Samoa and read her book shortly thereafter.  Paradise Cove was not simply "closed".  It was ridden with abuse, and shut down.  And it is highly concerning that any staff from this program was rehired CRA.

This is what I know now to be true.  Troubled teens reflect family dysfunction.  These teens should not be sent away, punished with confinement and severe consequences.  What is needed is family therapy.  We, as parents, need to look at ourselves with rigorous honesty.  Healing for the teenager comes only when the family is healed.
In our case, unfortunately, the damage may already be irreparable for my son, but I still have hope.

What I am wondering is this....if you are a student that was/is content with your experience at CRA, why are you on this teen advocate website.  It is you, not I, that is suspect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
Quote from: "CRAabuse"
Why on earth do you think I would have reason to lie about such things?   My son has been permanently damaged by this program, and I want only to protect other kids from having this experience.  I did my due diligence, at least I thought so, but the CRA website presented only series of lies and exaggerations; had I seen this facility, this "academy", I would never have sent my son there.   For those that do not know, Samoa is a third world country.  There is not a plethora of fresh vegetables on the island.  Like all islands many vegetables and fruits have to be imported.  So the highly nutritional diet that the website promised was mostly chicken and rice, fried foods.   The drinking water was filthy.  Ocean waters were polluted by open sewers.  We stayed at the "high end" hotel in Apia and it was disgusting.  During my visit, my son refused dinner every evening.  What he revealed after three days was that  he had been vomiting blood for weeks on end, was hospitalized for dehydration, without my knowledge and without my consent. He was a minor at the time.  I took him to the only western doctor on the island, a bleak, concerning office.  We were told that it was likely parasites and were sent to the local hospital for bloodwork.  I have traveled throughout Asia and India, and never have I seen a hospital as horrifying.  In the end, not only did my son have parasites, he had Hepatitis A.    When he complained continually to the nurse on staff of his ailments, he was accused of manipulation, was told to drink more water, and was bumped down a level.

After his return and his concerning downward spiral, he was diagnosed with PTSD.   I began researching this program and the directors aggressively.  First thing I found was a warning on the Department of State website about behavior modification programs in Samoa.  Had I found this at the start, this program would have been off of the list, without question. Corporal punishment is LEGAL in Samoa.  What parent in their right mind with this information would send a child to this country for "rehabilitation".  
This is an offshore program.  Legal action is impossible.  

I urge all parents to read the book "Help at Any Cost" by Maia Szalavitz.  Szalavitz is a former producer for the Charlie Rose Show and for Bill Moyers - highly respected producer and journalist.  I heard an interview with her on National Public Radio upon my sons return from Samoa and read her book shortly thereafter.  Paradise Cove was not simply "closed".  It was ridden with abuse, and shut down.  And it is highly concerning that any staff from this program was rehired CRA.

This is what I know now to be true.  Troubled teens reflect family dysfunction.  These teens should not be sent away, punished with confinement and severe consequences.  What is needed is family therapy.  We, as parents, need to look at ourselves with rigorous honesty.  Healing for the teenager comes only when the family is healed.
In our case, unfortunately, the damage may already be irreparable for my son, but I still have hope.

What I am wondering is this....if you are a student that was/is content with your experience at CRA, why are you on this teen advocate website.  It is you, not I, that is suspect.

Thank you! A decent parent!! Amazing
The "people" defending these "schools" are professional torturers and cult members. You cant expect anything less. We have to put up with them for legal reasons.

You should contact ISAC and fill out a sworn testimony, so the TRUTH about these GULAG TORTURE CHAMBERS enters the public record.

PLEASE DO THIS for the kids who never made it out

Offline SeanMCleary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »
Quote from: "Mttbrady"
I am a former patient of cra and most if not all of the things posted on this site are extremely exagerated and or false. They were most likely formed in the minds of teens in need of help who took there confusion out on the program they were sent too.... It offends me that parents like yourselves belive this without any evidence besides hear say BS. Check your sources people

I too attened CRA, when you did i'm pretty sure, and i do agree that a lot of things said about CRA are pretty exagerated. It is true that the place sometimes sucked and they did strange things like "basement" and "observation" but in my experience, no one was ever beaten or molested. and i will ad that we had a pretty good rapour with the "questionable" staff.

About Dr. Macbeth and Lu Vaughn, they most certainly used scare tactics, avoidance, and manipulation or at least tried to. Most of us had already been through these programs before. While i won't say there weren't sincere moments, most of us were tryin to get outta there.