Author Topic: Islam Cartoons  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »
Saddam doesn't look so bad now, does he...

Remember before we went in, all the propoganda about how he has a human blender... rape room.. etc. WHy hasn't the military found the human blender? I wanted to see what a damn human blender actually looks like. I've seen it in cartoons... why can't they show us his human blender? Fark WMD's we want to see some human blendage!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 12:37:00 AM »
On 2006-02-10 06:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Does anyone know if the the Muslim cartoonist

make fun of others?"

http://angrygwn.mu.nu/archives/126452.php

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »
On 2006-02-10 18:21:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Again, I ask...who thinks these people are ready for democracy??  Only an ethno-centric idiot would think so.  

Look how these people react to a free press!  As for "free elections"-  look at that nut who runs Iran!  

Saddam doesn't look so bad now, does he..."

The Miriam-Webster online definition:
ethnocentric
One entry found for ethnocentric.

Main Entry: eth·no·cen·tric
Pronunciation: "eth-nO-'sen-trik
Function: adjective
: characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior

Are you and others here not being ethnocentric yourself by the words you have posted?
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 02:52:00 AM »
Good question Webcrawler.  You took the words right off my key-pad.  I think there's enough "ethnocentric idiots" on both sides of this conflict.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
Are you and others here not being ethnocentric yourself by the words you have posted?

I'll admit to that. I don't try and explain away my human instincts. IF I have to pick sides, hell yeah I'm picking the west.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 03:20:00 AM »
I don't think that my ethnic group is superior, have never thought that (at least, not in comparison with those in other countries)...oh, until I saw these groups of people on the news, burning buildings in response to A CARTOON!

It actually restored some of my faith in our way of life.  

I mean, half of America (the red parts) may living in the Dark Ages, but nobody would start violent riots over a cartoon.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 03:33:00 AM »
Iranian paper aims for cartoon contest

BY NASSER KARIMI
ASSOCIATED PRESS

February 8, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran -- An Iranian newspaper said it would hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West extends the principle of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide as it did to the caricatures of the Muhammad, the founder of Islam.

Meanwhile, about 50 protesters hurled firebombs and stones at the Norwegian Embassy in Iran's capital, the second straight day of violent protests against European missions in Tehran.

Hamshahri, one of Iran's largest papers, made clear the contest is a reaction to European newspapers' publication of Danish cartoons of Muhammad, which have led to demonstrations, boycotts and attacks on European embassies across the Islamic world. Several people have been killed.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called the proposed contest outrageous.

The newspaper said the contest would be launched Monday and cosponsored by the House of Caricatures, a Tehran exhibition center for cartoons.

The paper and the cartoon center are owned by the Tehran Municipality, which is dominated by allies of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, well-known for his opposition to Israel.

Ahmadinejad, who was Tehran's mayor until being elected president in June, provoked outcries last year when he said on separate occasions that Israel should be wiped off the map and the Holocaust was a myth.

Elsewhere, protests and demonstrations continued Tuesday:

# Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen called the protests a global crisis.

# NATO peacekeepers in Afghanistan exchanged fire with protesters who attacked their base in a second straight day.

# Protests occurred in India, Pakistan, the Gaza Strip, Egypt, Nigeria and the Philippines.

Copyright © 2005 Detroit Free Press Inc.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Although I mostly agree with free speech concepts, the newspapers could have made a free choice to not offend an entire region of the world.  I don't really get why they did the cartoon in the first place.  There are people who argue that free speech should not apply to hate speech, like burning crosses on black people's lawns, harassing gay people, and so on.  I sort of see the value in not protecting hate speech.  The concept of free speech was brought about to allow citizens to speak freely against their governments.  Is there really any value in protecting hate speech against citizens or other non-government parties?  I would see a lot of value in, say, the Saudi government protecting that sort of press, but what value does that have in the west?  Westerners should be poking fun at the crazy Christians running our governments.  I mean, Bush talked to God before deciding whether to invade Iraq.  How funny is that?  I'd pay top dollar for footage of Bush talking to God about Iraq.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
Yeah I mean... it's not nice and all to  poke fun at people's gods or whatever... but I think what surprised everyone was the response of the muslim world. They issue fatwas to kill the cartoonists, etc.. violence.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
I do make fun of Christians.  

But these Muslim protesters are behaving just as ridiculously as our Christians here.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
Islam Cartoons
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
I'm not saying that they're not behaving like lunatics.  I would have been surprised if they didn't.  I mean, these are people who are beheading citizens of other countries just to make political demands.  

I'm just saying that the reasons behind free speech rights are inapplicable here.  They exist to protect citizens from their own government.  For instance, in Iran, people are free to slander Jews and Christians to their hearts' content.  But if they said anything about Islam, they would be put to death.  The citizens in that type of situation need free speech rights if change is to be brought about.  Their government is run by fundamentalist Shiite Muslims.  Speech against the people in charge should be allowed.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.