Author Topic: Two 14yr-olds dead *Update*  (Read 21650 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Two 14yr-olds dead *Update*
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2006, 02:29:00 PM »
murdering thugs?!!   i've been following the georgia case closely and it seems to be a bunch of mistruths propogated against the counselors by the state to avoid a lawsuit.  i had always thought about becoming a teacher, but i will never work with kids or for the state because it is too dangerous.  you go to work with good intentions, a tragedy ocurrs that could've happened to anyone, and suddenly people call you a murdering thug.  no thank you, i'll just work a desk job.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
Well, if you have significant contact w/ operations run by Drug Free America Foundation, Florida Department of Law Enforcement or any of a number of other organizations using the same methods and you can't extrapolate that some kids are going to die by what you're helping to do, then you're not necessarily murderous but just too dumb to breath, unworthy of the priviledge and dangerously self deluded.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those that torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
C.S. Lewis, God In The Dock

What was done with the seed saved from the India Hemp last summer? It ought, all of it, to have been sewn again; that not only a stock of seed sufficient for my own purposes might have been raised, but to have disseminated the seed to others; as it is more valuable than the common Hemp.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington, Writings of Washington, Vol. 35, pg. 72

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »
On 2006-03-29 11:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"murdering thugs?!!   i've been following the georgia case closely and it seems to be a bunch of mistruths propogated against the counselors by the state to avoid a lawsuit.  i had always thought about becoming a teacher, but i will never work with kids or for the state because it is too dangerous.  you go to work with good intentions, a tragedy ocurrs that could've happened to anyone, and suddenly people call you a murdering thug.  no thank you, i'll just work a desk job."

Denying a kid an inhaler or piling on top of him is not something that could have happened to anyone.

How stupid do you have to be to *not* give an asthmatic

Newsflash:  If you can write off a dead kid as "something that could have happened to anyone," then as a mother I certainly don't want you working around kids.  I don't know any parent who would.

I think you're right that you should do something else for a living.

Why do you think it would matter to us or anyone else if you decided to do something else for a living?

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
er... not give an asthmatic his inhaler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
OH Jesus , how sad this situation is. I am so happy to have gone to the March.  I heard little things here and there.  But, did not know the whole story until I was at the March.   I am a mother of two and could not imagine in amy way Ms. Jones pain.   I will continue to support the anderson/Jones family amy way I can.  I also will continue to keep them in my prayers.   God, will see justice done.  Also, to the family pray and stay strong.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
FDLE Chief Resigns, Protesters Want Arrests In Beating Case (12 hours before the rally in Tallahassee)

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/arti ... Chief.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
TALLAHASSEE - Guy Tunnell abruptly ended his controversial run as head of Florida's Department of Law Enforcement on Thursday, days after sources said he made off-color remarks comparing black leaders who were to attend a Capitol rally to Osama bin Laden and Jesse James.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14392819.htm

Beating a kid to death is fine, but make a racial comment and YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!!!  (not that I condone the comment but that [/i]prompts Bush to ask for his resignation and not kids dying left and right under this guy's command?)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
Two months worth of sheriff's office email RE: Boot-camp death deleted

State attorney: I'm not trying to hide anything in Martin Lee Anderson case

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 010/NEWS01

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Beating a kid to death is fine, but make a racial comment and YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!!! (not that I condone the comment but that prompts Bush to ask for his resignation and not kids dying left and right under this guy's command?)

Thats what pissed me off the most about that kids death. If he was white, hed be just another kid on Barbe's memorial page, another tear shed, another notch in the belt of ToughLove? but because hes black, it would seem the race card got played and something got done.  :roll:

Its such PC bullshit man... people should care because hes another kid who got killed by a fucked up system, not because hes a black kid who got killed by the system.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/ ... 408446.htm

Boot camp inspections missed red flags

For years, Florida boot camps received high scores on state inspections, despite spiking use-of-force incidents.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
[email protected]

While oversight was breaking down, physical force incidents escalated.

Although guards at a Panama City boot camp routinely roughed up teenagers for minor infractions, state auditors for years praised the facility for its record-keeping, nursing care and use of physical force, rating the camp's performance ``commendable.''

The camp did so well in its 2004 inspection that it wasn't inspected at all last year -- despite 180 questionable use-of-force reports since January 2003. Guards physically punished youngsters for smiling, smirking, failing to complete exercises or other so-called ''insolent'' behaviors, records show.

The ''quality assurance'' audits, mandated by state law to ensure the facilities are safe and properly run, portray the Bay County Sheriff's Office Boot Camp as a Grade A operation. That changed Jan. 6, when 14-year-old Martin Lee Anderson, charged with stealing his grandmother's car for a joyride, died after boot camp guards punched, kneed and choked him -- all captured on videotape.

A Miami Herald review of audits conducted by the Department of Juvenile Justice's Quality Assurance division found that inspectors for years failed to detect that guards were routinely violating state policies that banned use of force -- takedowns, chokeholds, pressure-point restraints -- except as a last resort.

NO ONE CHARGED

While oversight was breaking down, physical force incidents escalated, rising each year until they doubled in 2005.

No guards have been charged or fired. A special prosecutor appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Tallahassee are investigating Martin's death. The Bay County boot camp was shut down in the aftermath.

GLOWING REPORTS

Time and again, auditors consistently found the camp to be in full compliance with regulations. Among the findings in the 2004 report:

? Inspectors judged the camp's exercise policies to be ''superior'' and ''administered in a safe, fair and consistent manner,'' adding that the boys would not be required to exercise beyond their ``endurance levels.''

''Interviews with five youth indicated that staff discuss with them their endurance levels and improvements,'' the report said. ``All youth indicated that they are in better shape now than when they arrived at the camp.''

Martin collapsed after complaining that he could no longer exercise, prompting guards to manhandle him for 40 minutes as the boot camp nurse stood by. The camp's own use-of-force report quoted Martin saying he ``was tired and couldn't breathe good enough to run any more.''

? The camp received superior scores for much of its medical care program. The 2004 report praised the camp's nurse for conducting quarterly or even monthly medical emergency drills and for being available for sick call more often than is required.

The nurse, Kristin Anne Schmidt, is under investigation by state medical regulators over claims that she stood by for 40 minutes without acting as guards roughed Martin up.

? The camp was rated superior for its compliance with DJJ rules that physical force, including so-called pressure points, be ``used as a last resort.''

''There is a written policy,'' the report said, ''that has been signed and dated within this review period that outlines all the requirements'' of the use-of-force standard. ``Whenever there is a physical intervention, a [use-of-force] report is written.''

? The camp also received a superior score for completing use-of-force reports for every incident in which guards did a ''takedown,'' pressure point or other restraint technique, such as a ''knee strike'' or ``bent wrist.''

''The reports were well documented and completed on the day of the incident,'' the report said.

SKIPPED INSPECTIONS

Previous audits at Bay County were even more cursory.

In 2002 and 2003, DJJ conducted one-day inspections of the camp. The reason: The camp had scored high marks in its 2001 inspection, allowing it to avoid a full review in subsequent years.

While audits were failing to find serious problems, force reports jumped from 27 in 2003 to 41 in 2004 to 99 last year. Cynthia Lorenzo, a spokeswoman for the Department of Juvenile Justice, which oversees the state's five boot camps, declined to discuss the agency's inspection program. She has previously said that ``the agency is committed to the safety and well being of youths in our care . . . We need to do better, we can do better and we will do more.''

SERIOUS INCIDENTS

But agency records show that as late as last October -- three months before Martin died -- top DJJ administrators knew that audits were failing to detect problems at DJJ facilities.

''There have been a series of situations where a program got a . . . high QA [quality assurance] score but something very serious then happened,'' DJJ Quality Assurance Chief John Criswell wrote his staff after a Central Florida youth died in custody. ``Are we too focused on paper and not enough on kids?''

Criswell said DJJ facilities were receiving high marks from inspectors at programs where a child eventually died and a mentally-retarded teenager was allegedly raped.

''With the [legislative] session coming up, I think you can see why there may be questions,'' Criswell wrote to other quality assurance administrators. ``Should we be doing more to follow up on negative responses to our surveys? Are there other changes that may alert us when bad things are about to happen?''

The next day, one DJJ quality assurance staffer, Mike Marino, defended the system in an e-mail: ``I don't think we can get away from the file reviews, as this is the main proof of something being done or not.''

The discrepancies between the inspection reports and conditions at DJJ's programs did not go unnoticed by a legislative watchdog group -- the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability -- which said in December 2003 that DJJ inspections bore ``little correlation with incidents such as escape or injury.''

POOR FOLLOW-UP

''Some program monitors are not always following up on indications of problems,'' the report said. ``When program monitors investigate complaints against programs, they should not only research the specific allegation but should also determine whether the problem is more widespread.''

Agency records show that the boot camp's DJJ program manager, Andy Anderson, received a copy by fax of all 180 use of force reports. The Miami Herald has repeatedly asked DJJ under the state's public records law whether Anderson ever alerted supervisors to the pattern of excessive force in Panama City.

Agency spokeswoman Lorenzo said DJJ is still looking for any alerts from Anderson, who would not comment.

One expert who has studied juvenile justice oversight in Florida and other states has repeatedly told DJJ administrators and Florida lawmakers that agency oversight efforts are flawed.

''Neither the current [quality assurance] program nor the research systems have served any type of diagnostic function whatsoever,'' said Thomas Blomberg, dean of Florida State University's College of Criminology and Criminal Justice. ``The accountability system is not holding programs accountable, and it's really more damning than that.''