Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Daytop Village

Daytop doesn't deserve to exist

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ursus:

--- Quote from: ""Paul St. John"" ---
* In Daytop, the emphasis is on the good and well-being of the the clan, referred to as the "family"- not the individual.
* Daytop's mode of treatment is geared not towards fopisterrinf self-expression, but rather it's antipode, self-submission.
* Daytop's methods model the supremacy of emotions over reason.
--- End quote ---

Classic cult profile.  Check out this article which appeared in the August 20, 2007 edition of Mother Jones.  Daytop is pictured in the graph, a couple of posts down from the article.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=22874

odie:
Maia Szalavitz  is forever coming up with flawed information such as that chart. Then you have the conspiracy theorists here on Fornits that follow her as if she was the second coming. Joe Ricci was never associated with Daytop Village in NY. He was at Daytop in Connecticut which is an entirely different organization. http://www.aptfoundation.org/daytop.htm
He spent a short time there then ran off. If she actually did any research as opposed to still looking for the guy in the grassy knoll she might have a shred of credibility.

Ursus:

--- Quote from: ""odie"" ---Maia Szalavitz  is forever coming up with flawed information such as that chart. Then you have the conspiracy theorists here on Fornits that follow her as if she was the second coming. Joe Ricci was never associated with Daytop Village in NY. He was at Daytop in Connecticut which is an entirely different organization. http://www.aptfoundation.org/daytop.htm
He spent a short time there then ran off. If she actually did any research as opposed to still looking for the guy in the grassy knoll she might have a shred of credibility.
--- End quote ---

Well, thanks odie, for clarifying that and providing the link.  I did check out that website, as well as APT, and it seems like it's a primarily community-based therapy source... although the Daytop portion (treating adult addictions) is based on a Therapeutic Community model, which is not at all the same thing.  

Daytop - NY, from what I gather, is also based on a TC model.  I am curious as to why APT called their adult addiction treatment program "Daytop," surely there must be some link between the two Daytops at one point early on?  

Elan School, of which Ricci was a founder of course, is based on a TC model, and truly the place has essentially zero outside community interaction save that based primarily on PR concerns.

Deborah:

--- Quote from: ""odie"" ---Maia Szalavitz  is forever coming up with flawed information such as that chart. Then you have the conspiracy theorists here on Fornits that follow her as if she was the second coming.
--- End quote ---

Would you be willing to create your own chart that might be compared with Maia's? Are you implying that she's intentionally being deceptive? Might she be doing the best she can, and open to more accurate information?
Ken Stettler, program licensing director in Utah, told a parent that it all started with Provo Canyon.
All the info is out there, it's just a matter of researching and plugging each program (and the particulars) into a timeline.
Institutions for kids have always existed. If the search function was functioning I'd link you to a great article. The roots are religious of course. Modern programs are just the next iteration of CPS placing kids in religious programs to have the devil beaten out of them and have religion and white middle-class values crammed down their throats. Most current programs claim to be "therapeutic" rather than religious, don't use evidence-based techniques, but rather est/Lifespring techniques.

I'd be willing to create a timeline in the TTI forum which could be edited as people provided documented information. I think it could be useful. I've been doing this in bits and pieces for 6 years, but it's not in one place, rather, scattered throughout the forums.

Ursus:
That sounds like a great idea, Deborah.  I think there are a great many people who would benefit from this.  There will always be some controversy about certain assignations, but... the more information people have, the better off they are.

I will say this about Maia's chart: given the scattered nature of so much of the information out there, it was a pretty damn good job considering, and has certainly helped more than a few people in seeing a picture of how this industry has evolved.  Had it been more detailed and more complete, it might have been too much for most people to digest, given the magazine format that it was submitted in...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version