Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Daytop Village

Daytop doesn't deserve to exist

<< < (6/6)

Inculcated:
They’re a prep school now? PREPARATION FOR WHAT? One might hope that at least this location is accredited. Of their four locations that Daytop shuffled me through, all but Millbrook made swiss cheese of my transcripts.
http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-ne ... k-18370-1/
• GED stands for general education diploma. Daytop encourages residents to attend GED schools for the following purpose:

1. to provide residents, who are usually school drop out an opportunity to receive general school education and to attain the basic diploma, if possible, for further educational or vocational studies and developments.

2. to help the residents to attain sense of achievement by attaining the GED diploma.  :agree:
   • Resident who stay in treatment for more than 80 days will be arranged to take the pre-test to assess their listening and reading standards. After the assessment, they will be grouped into different subject classes like maths, writing and reading, science, social studies, etc. that they will be given tutorials, lectures and assignments according to their standards.
For those who have higher capability and motivation of learning, teachers will focus on helping them to prepare the GED test.

SEKTO:
DAYTOP vs. the Rasta

http://debate.uvm.edu/dreadlibrary/domenico.html

In this next case, Brown vs. Daytop Village, Inc., a Rastafarian is fighting against yet another one of Babylon’s institutions. Mr. Brown, who was convicted of the sale of a controlled substance of the third degree, had a choice between an in-patient drug treatment program and a jail sentence. Daytop Village ("Daytop" hereinafter) is a government-funded clinic that provides rehabilitation/detoxification to drug "addicts". Daytop, which rarely accepts convicted felons, admitted Mr. Brown on the condition that he would stay the duration and not cause unneeded disturbances. Mr. Brown was paroled to the custody of Daytop, but on the following day, October 30, 1991, he was expelled after a dispute over cutting his hair. The Rastafarian dreadlocks that the plaintiff wore are of religious significance. Cutting his dreadlocks would be a violation of his religion and himself.

Daytop insists that all new-coming patients cut their hair before entering the program. Their residential treatment program, "is regulated by strict conformance with uniform standards for admission, and thereafter for continued treatment in a ‘therapeutic community.’ These uniform standards were early on designed by medically supervised trial and error experimentation. They have since been maintained with a quarter century or regulatory consistency," (Noname2, 3). This change helps break psychological and physical ties to the patient’s destructive life patterns. All new patients receive the same treatment, as so to start on equal footing, it is a birth to a new, substance-free life. During the course of the patients stay, he/she can earn back, as a privilege, the rights of individuality (Nomane2, 4). This value of earning privileges is very important in the eyes of Daytop. They feel that it is part of the healing process.

With Mr. Brown’s refusal to cut his hair, Daytop had no choice but to expel him. Brown feels that Daytop discriminated against him because of his creed. Arguing that Daytop is a "place of public accommodation", Brown’s lawyer says that being a clinic for the public, Daytop has violated Brown’s constitutional rights. Under New York law, "it is an unlawful discriminatory practice for any person, being the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent or employee of any place of public accommodation…because of the… creed… of any person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from or deny to such person any of the accommodation, advantages, facilities or privileges thereof…" (Noname2, 3). Daytop’s stance is that it is not a "place of public accommodation", but rather, "a private corporation entity whose program integrity will be damaged and undue hardship imposed should the sough after relief be granted," (Noname3, 2).

Mr. Brown, since his release from Daytop, has not "run afoul of the law" or been with the assistance of a drug-treatment program. For fear of a drug relapse or reincarceration, Brown seeks "preliminary injunction enjoining Daytop from refusing to admit him unconditionally into its drug treatment program during the pendency of the action," (Noname3, 2). This motion was denied because Plaintiff failed to demonstrate that irreparable injury was sustained by Daytop’s refusal.

Brown’s main argument is that Daytop’s refusal of his admittance is solely due to his being Rastafarian. Daytop maintains its stance on it being "medical necessity". The point of discussion now is whether Mr. Brown’s religious beliefs can be proven true in court. When questioned about his religion, Brown’s knowledge of Rastafarianism was limited. He knew of neither its history nor contemporary culture. The Plaintiff was completely unaware of the "Vow of Nazarite". This "vow" is the scripture that forbids male Rastas from cutting any body hair. Concluding, Brown had little to no knowledge of his religion, or for that fact, the matter at hand.

After his "religious inquisition", Brown rebutted with the follow, "I follow through what I know and what I believe and how I feel about it," (Noname2, 5). He recounts that he was raised a Rasta by his father who taught him "the ways". Also, he recalls having, "dialogues about the meaning of scripture, known as reasoning." Brown’s knowledge of his religion was very sparse, but if the court rejected his plea, it would be in the position of promoting religious orthodoxy. "Religion is best left between a believer and his belief," (Noname2, 5). The court sided with Daytop Village, saying that, "Daytop has met the burden of proving the regulation is based upon medical necessity, not upon discrimination based on religious belief," (Noname2, 7).

Paul St. John:
Ya missin' me, Mark?

I'm flatered..lol

How's it goin?

Still around.. just haven t had much to contribute as of late.  Sometimes, I am inspired.. Sometimes, I am not.

Have been thinking about Elan every so often though, out of the blue.  I am still very curious about it. Ya know the feeling ya get, when you walk out of yourhouse, and either you forgot to bring something you should have, or maybe you didn t do something in the house that you should have... yeah.. for some reason my mind gets pulled back to Elan in taht regard.. and I ain t ever even been there..lol ..

I just feel like there is one other thing about Elan that I am missing.. that is important.  There is something that sets apart from all the other places. At least that is what my mind is telling me... Usually it s right about these things, and even when it isn t, there's still always something there, even if I am not sure exactly what..

Later,
Paul

SEKTO:
To whom it may concern:

The topic of this thread is "Daytop Village."  

Please stay on topic, and refer to the rules that you agreed to as part of the registration process.

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version