Author Topic: Why is Utah against Jessica's Law?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
Why is Utah against Jessica's Law?
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »
The father of Jessica Lunsford showed up in Utah, as he had in many other states, but without any support of the Utah government.

Apparently, there were a few private citizens that showed, but not like all the other states he had gone to. What is different here he thought, was it due to polygamy???????

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »
I think that Utah is a very repressed, dysfunctional and misguided state.  These people are living in the Dark Ages.  They will never get behind anything even remotely progressive or modern.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
The internet provided the communication tool for the few women who have escaped brutal polygamous situations.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »
Utah considers children the property of their parents.  It's a sick, sick cult state.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »
Utah will be better off in a few decades once the sane ones outbreed the mormons. It's happening, and they can't stop it. It's only a matter of time until this insanity ends.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 01:00:00 AM »
I don't know...there are some pretty crazy Christian fundamentalists out there... Anyone saw that show "Wife Swap" the other night?  

Those people who home school their 8 children because they don't want them taking sex ed at school.  20% of their kids $2 allowance goes to "God".  

And they apparantely are living in such poverty that people leave bags of used clothing outside their van at church, to which the father proclaims "God has provided again!"  

Their 15 y.o. son stated that he's glad he doesn't go to real school, because he doesn't "have to deal with the drugs and the alcohol and the cigarettes".  

I wonder, where are these kids going to go once they are 18?  Or 25?  

Or perhaps you have seen that family who was profiled on the Discovery Channel- the Dugger family, I think.  They have 17 KIDS!!   And they are living in a house with 2 bathrooms!

The father was offered a position in the Arkansas state Congress, or something like that, even though he has no college education whatsoever!  Purely to promote the Christian-fundamentalist agenda.   Their kids are home-schooled, also.  

Their daughters are not allowed to wear pants, they wear only long skirts.  Check out their website, even their bathing suits involve long sleeves and skirts.  

It also seems they are feeding their kids slop!  Their website lists "favorite recipes", all of which involve tater tots and lots of processed foods, lacking nutritional value.  Seems they don't eat much fresh fruit and veggies.  

I guess none of their "moral values" include teaching children about healthy eating habits, nor do they "value" responsible family and social planning and only having as many children as you can adequetly provide for.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
On 2006-02-09 13:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think that Utah is a very repressed, dysfunctional and misguided state.  These people are living in the Dark Ages.  They will never get behind anything even remotely progressive or modern."

Utah has the highest literacy rate in the nation and its students rank in the top ten on college entrance exam and Advanced Placement test scores.  Utah also has the second highest percentage of high school graduates and the ninth highest percentage of college graduates. A full 22.3% of the state's population has a four year college degree.  Utah has nine public colleges and ten private institutions of higher learning. Of these, three are renowned research universities and two have nationally-ranked law schools.

http://www.move2ut.com/Common/education.htm

As for Jessica's Law.  Utah is already tough on
sex crime.

Utah previously had a minimum mandatory sentencing structure that included sentences for five, 10 and 15 years, but it became unpopular because more cases went to trial, forcing child victims to testify, Paul Boyden, executive director of the Statewide Association of Prosecutors, told the Deseret Morning News editorial board Wednesday.

Once the state got rid of that sentencing scheme and adopted indeterminate sentencing in which the state Board of Pardons determines the maximum time spent behind bars, more offenders began to go to prison for longer.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n15853755

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
As  an  ex  Utardian.  LOL   (employer moved me) I  agree  with  alot  of  the  sentiments  in this  thread.  However no one  answered the  question.  In  order  to do so  we  need  more  data.  I  would  like to know  which  (if  any)  states that have  rejected  Jessica's Law  already  have higher child abuse conviction rates  and  stiffer  penalties than this  law  proposes.    For  my  own  self.  Jessica's  law  is  whimpy.  
Child rape.  Needs  to carry  a  death sentance,  to be  carried  out  within  30 days  of  loosing the  first  appeal of  conviction with a  maximum  time  lasp of  12  months  to complete  this  appeal.