Author Topic: Washington Post Story today on abuse  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Washington Post Story today on abuse
« on: January 29, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
Link to editorial

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00062.html

The editorial
[email protected]

Maia Szalavitz is the author of "Help at Any Cost: How the Troubled-Teen Industry Cons Parents and Hurts Kids" (Riverhead Books).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
AWESOME!!! You can't buy exposure like this. The WAPO is read worldwide, this is great advertising for her new book as well. Slowly but surely...  :tup:

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:10:00 AM »
I emailed this article to both of my parents.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:55:00 AM »
Maybe if ms szalavitz would have recieved a little tuff love a little earlier in life she wouldnt have been on cocane and now such a typical left wing liberal trying to condem people making great changes in the lives of those who need it worst through holding these kids truly accountable through tuff love  as she tries to psyhco-babble her own issues and victimhood while being paid to write about them and sell her book to the people on this site...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
On 2006-01-29 21:10:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"I emailed this article to both of my parents.  
"

Can you send them a pre-ordered copy of the book? If not, here's an idea. I might seek funding for ppl who would like to send this book to someone, but just can't spend the money. Just an idea, I'm no expert on the liabilities and nitty gritty of such a thing. But I'll see if it can be done if anybody wants to do it.

Oh, better idea! Or at least more colorful. What if ppl set up an Amazon account w/ the shipping address(es) of the intended recipient(s), put this and whatever other book you'd like for them to read on it then we'll list them somewhere around here. If it turns out to be legal and practical, maybe Maia will list them on her website?

I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will--and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain.
--Gene Roddenberry, Creator of Star Trek

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
On 2006-02-04 00:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Maybe if ms szalavitz would have recieved a little tuff love a little earlier in life she wouldnt have been on cocane and now such a typical left wing liberal trying to condem people making great changes in the lives of those who need it worst through holding these kids truly accountable through tuff love  as she tries to psyhco-babble her own issues and victimhood while being paid to write about them and sell her book to the people on this site..."

I am sure you are an expert and have conducted much more extensive research than Szalavitz. Please share some of this with us.[ This Message was edited by: AtomicAnt on 2006-02-04 15:46 ]

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
Its good to see things are still rolling on without me.  :smile:
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
On 2006-02-06 17:15:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Its good to see things are still rolling on without me.  :smile: "

Your kidding right? Right?

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
Well as the local extreamist it's good to be placated some times.

(this of course in referance to a inside joke most people should know about)[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-02-06 17:28 ]
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
Anon wrote;
"People making greta changes in the lives of those who need it worst."

You sound like a true program parent.Well versed by the Task Seminar faciliators.I challenge YOU to be ACCOUNTABLE and go and speak to your child TODAY. Demand to see and SPEAK WITH YOUR CHILD.Dont fall the has to earn the priviledge nonsense. Buy the book and read what victims of these BIG BUSINESS "tough love" facilities have to say about their experiences. Love has nothing to do with with these organizations perpetrate upon our children.

I challenge you! Go today and see your child.

Your apology may be accepted. No guarantees.

I can assure you, your child will NEVER thank you for sending them. They will NEVER thank you for saving their life.  That's a lie facilitators tell to ease your guilt.

Let me know how the kid is doing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
I can assure you, your child will NEVER thank you for sending them. They will NEVER thank you for saving their life.

You are wrong, the kid will do this before they leave, and in the parent/child seminars. You see, this is what parents pay the big bucks for. They torture us kids into saying (and not believing) that they saved our lives, and torture us into thinking we would be dead or in jail if it weren't for them. That is what is so disgusting about all of this. The parents aren't interested in treatment, they want a new kid, a better kid -- something different than they dropped off. One who will exclaim -- "I am a wonderful, innocent, capable young woman!" -- at the drop of a hat, as well as thanking their parents for saving their lives. I mean, come on -- why would parents spend so much money if it didn't work?!  :roll: They fill the kids full of such false arguments to reconcile their own dissenting thoughts. It works on what, about one percent? Sounds familiar I bet to a lot here.

That's a lie facilitators tell to ease your guilt.

Yep. They simply lie to parents, but for some reason -- wwasp doesn't  have the right to lock them up like animals in isolation when they don't comply with the seminar, and 'give in' to the group. The program parents have choices, and they CHOOSE to keep their child locked up, in an abusive environment -- all the while taking comfort in the letters and reports from staff. IT IS ALL A LIE. IT IS ALL A LIE. IT IS ALL A LIE.