Author Topic: Stuff you've been listening to  (Read 751362 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Stuff you've been listening to
« Reply #2160 on: June 15, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""
Those guys (System of a Down) are definitely strong in the vocal dept with their melodic lines and resonant harmonies, as well as a good sense of dynamics and song arrangement. They are without a doubt the most interesting band I've heard in a while! They easily outshine those bands with vocals that sound like the tasmanian devil or a caveman on steroids or something. The songs on Hypnotize have an acute political awareness about them which is cool, too...

System of a Down's music is great. Hard-nosed, politically aware...you can learn a hell of a lot more about global politics by listening to them than you can by watching watered-down American broadcast TV.

Pushing little children, with their fully automatics, they like to push the weak around
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 15, 2007, 01:27:47 PM »
I realized this morning that my car's 6-disc changer is currently a tribute to Sacto's finest, and that wasn't even by design...for a week now, 4 of the 6 have been:

Deftones - White Pony
Deftones - Self-titled
Deftones - Around the Fur
Deftones - B-Sides and Rarities

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 15, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
After watching the Doors for probably the 15th time the other day, I've been on yet another John Densmore kick and have had my mp3 player crankin' out Doors hits nonstop the last few morning commutes. But after seeing that last Deftones post, I'm sitting here at the office craving some Abe Cunningham beats, particularly the mash up job he does on Back to School.

Other gems I can't seem to get enough of lately...

Thom Yorke > Black Swan
Tosca > Yoko Ono
Sleeper Set Sail > Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 16, 2007, 09:19:27 AM »
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 16, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »
Janes Addiction_Ritual de lo Habitual
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 16, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
Janes Addiction_Ritual de lo Habitual

bien bien!
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 17, 2007, 02:34:59 AM »
Little Feat -  Spanish Moon  (live)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #2167 on: June 17, 2007, 02:44:10 AM »
The Psychedelic Scene:  VA  Immediate/DERAM groups from those mind expanding days.
The Afghan Whigs:  "Creep"
You Am I - a comp of B-sides, EP's, and rarities..

The Whigs are back, and it's a good, good thing.  I hope they can keep it together for a  while.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 17, 2007, 02:58:07 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
The Psychedelic Scene:  VA  Immediate/DERAM groups from those mind expanding days.

The Whigs are back, and it's a good, good thing.  I hope they can keep it together for a  while.

sweeet, love the Afghan Whigs!

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 17, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
Tom Waits - "Come on Up to The House"

Black Rebel Motorcyle Club - "Sympathetic Noose"

Blondie - Greatest Hits

Liz Phair - Whip-Smart (v)

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 17, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »
Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby

Urge Overkill - Saturation

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 17, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
Quote from: ""webdiva""

sweeet, love the Afghan Whigs!

Aw, yeah!  Hell, yeah.  I got the Twilight Singers Bootleg DVD, and when John Curley came out to play "Somethin' Hot", it got my hopes up for a Whigs reunion.  I don't expect Harold Chichester to come back as the touring keyboard player, though.  Bad blood between him and Greg...

Have you seen that Twilight Singers DVD, Diva?  Greg Dulli's in fine mack-daddy mode.  His mom's at the show and is standing off to the side of the stage.  Greg sits at the piano, pulls out a spliff and says "Watch me get high in front of my mom,"  and the audience roars. "It's okay,"  Greg says, "she sold it to me,"

After he catches a fire, he makes a face and looks at the joint.

"Damn, Mom, this tastes like Mexican!  You're chargin' me far too much!"
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""
Tom Waits - "Come on Up to The House"

Black Rebel Motorcyle Club - "Sympathetic Noose"

Blondie - Greatest Hits

Liz Phair - Whip-Smart (v)

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Liz Phair...Christ, I'm glad I had already gotten married when she got divorced, I would have been campin' on her doorstep like the horny suitors in the Odyssey.  I played Exile In Guyville relentlessly and watched the video for "Never Said Nothin'" like a man transfixed.  

Which begs the question:  Why did her last album suck like a Hoover in overdrive?  MOR boo'shit of the worst kind, sorta like that Jewel album, not that Jewel has ever done anything good.  I know Jewel's old boyfriend Steve Poltz pretty well, he's a blessed individual.  He co-wrote "You Were Made For Me", or whatever that tune was, and that ditty bought him a house in Malibu and will keep him from mashin' for his rations the rest of his life.  The last time Poltz was in Nashville, we went out with Bill Davis(Dash Rip Rock!  Props to Dash!) before Poltz's gig, and these two...uh...unattractive young ladies came by the table and confessed their undying love for Poltz.  One weighed about a deuce and a quarter, the other was Bergen-Belsen thin.

Then these two ladies showed up at the gig, too, and were wearing me down 'cos I was playing Poltz's beercap-emblazoned acoustic while he pissed.  They wanted to handle it, and I lied, saying "No, I'm Mr. Poltz's tech, and he'll beat me like a gong if he sees this axe in the hands of strangers,"

I thought that was the end of it, I hung out for the show and told Poltz and Bill I had to work in the morning and had to wimp out on the crippling partying sure to follow.

A couple weeks later, Bill Davis told me that the two mismatched groupies, Maxi and Mini, approached Poltz again.  The sick son of a bitch took them both back to Bill's place and had loud, weird sex with the pair simultaneously, probably a real freak scene, then sent them on their way so he could get into chemical mischief.

I saw the skinny girl not long after, she was working in the Barnes and Noble coffee shop.  She seemed highly embarrassed to see me, and wouldn't speak.  I thought that was really rude, so I said "Poltz told me you and your friend showed him quite the funky time. I guess you two got  a whole lot more than an autograph, huh?"

Then the shit hit the turbine.  The wimpy goth dude working with her was her boyfriend, it turns out, and they got into a vicious argy-bargy right in front of me, other customers, and Almighty God.  Hey, man, that's the price you pay for creepin' on your lover-man.

Check out Poltz's band the Rugburns, it's some great stuff.  If you can find Morning Wood, grab it and check out the classic "Me and Eddie Vedder".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 17, 2007, 08:46:55 PM »

Check out Poltz's band the Rugburns, it's some great stuff.  If you can find Morning Wood, grab it and check out the classic "Me and Eddie Vedder".

Yeah, "I Wanna Die Wasted In A Room With Eddie Vedder" is one of the greatest songs of all time.  "Bought a copy of ZOSO/ It's my favorite album/Bonzo kicks ass on it......"  Have finer lyrics appeared anywhere, ever?  I seriously doubt it.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 18, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »
All American Rejects - Night Drive (live acoustic... impressed, good performance and song)