Author Topic: Stuff you've been listening to  (Read 715900 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Re: Stuff you've been listening to
« Reply #3090 on: January 31, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
Black Flag_(on brand new just opened, 180g vinyl), In My Head.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
yesterday
« Reply #3091 on: January 31, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Killdozer - For Ladies Only

Radiant Pig (not sure of this album's title)

Hüsker Dü - (a lot of stuff from Zen Arcade)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »
Tuxedomoon - Half-Mute

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

The Who - Live at Leeds

CTI Summer Jazz @ Hollywood Palladium 7/18/71

The Fall - Mere Pseud Mag. Ed.

Liz Phair - 6' 1"
............Mesmerizing (vinyl)

Thin Lizzy - Fight or Fall (vinyl)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: February 04, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"
Donnie Iris_"Leah"

Say what you may, we like that song around here. Go Steelers!!!  Woo-hoo!!!!  All the way!!!

p.s. Donnie Iris is from Pittsburgh, in case you didn't know...or never heard a him.

I kinda like that song.  I saw them open up for Nazareth, pre-$tr8.

Thanks again for the jazz CDs, and congrats on your team winning the big game.

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
Thanks RTP.  6 time Champs.  We are very proud of our team.

I hope you enjoy the music.  As you know, I love that stuff.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: February 04, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
2 $tr8 survivors, metal god and myself jammin in a Columbus Ohio motel room.  Crazy shit man.  When I listen to it I'm amazed.  And I hear the way I've changed since finding the fornits site.  It's good to get the influence of people who weren't fooled by $tr8 and the like.  I mean when I listen to that I can hear they way I used to be before I had help in breakin so many chains.  Thanks for recordin us metal god.

And here's to the lost jams we've all been a part of that never got recorded but still, people talk about years later... "Hey man, remember that jam..."

I remember it! :cheers:  :poison:  :cheers:

An' here's an idea...what about gettin a collection of homegrown $tr8 survivor music together and make a cd and just give it to everyone who wants it.  It would be music by survivors of $tr8.  That wouldn't be that tricky to do.  People could record themselves and somebody, like myself, could organize it all into a nice collection and distribute it.  It would have to be original material. :birthday:  ;D  :clown:  :rocker:   :jamin:   :poison:  :peace:  :poison:  :cheers:  :tup:  :ftard:  :nods:  :poison:

Got "the Gulag song" on right now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3096 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:06 PM »
Black Angels--Passover

Syd Barrett--Opel

Blue Oyster Cult--Cultosaurus Erectus

Jane's Addiction--Nothing's Shocking

Ramones--Rocket To Russia

Patti Smith Group--Easter

Voivod--Nothingface

Johnny Cash--Live At San Quentin

Jethro Tull--This Was

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
music compilation
« Reply #3097 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:20 PM »
2 $tr8 survivors, metal god and myself jammin in a Columbus Ohio motel room.  Crazy shit man.  When I listen to it I'm amazed.  And I hear the way I've changed since finding the fornits site.  It's good to get the influence of people who weren't fooled by $tr8 and the like.  I mean when I listen to that I can hear they way I used to be before I had help in breakin so many chains.  Thanks for recordin us metal god.

And here's to the lost jams we've all been a part of that never got recorded but still, people talk about years later... "Hey man, remember that jam..."

An' here's an idea...what about gettin a collection of homegrown $tr8 survivor music together and make a cd and just give it to everyone who wants it.  It would be music by survivors of $tr8.  That wouldn't be that tricky to do.  People could record themselves and somebody, like myself, could organize it all into a nice collection and distribute it.  It would have to be original material. :birthday:  ;D  :clown:  :rocker:   :jamin:   :poison:  :peace:  :poison:  :cheers:  :tup:  :ftard:  :nods:  :poison:

A survivor compilation is a great idea! Someone (like yourself) should just start gathering material to put together in some form or another. I know there are plenty of people who could contribute music, as well as art to go with it. Please be sure and mention this to Dragonfly, if you haven't already! And..thanks for the CDs!!! I love that sort of groove-oriented jazz, you can hear later Miles Davis all over some of that (even though he wasn't in on those sessions). That one CD (7/30/72) got me all the way in to work today; you could say it was the perfect listen for that ride... :tup:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3098 on: February 05, 2009, 12:07:40 AM »
Quote from: "rtp2kE"
Patti Smith Group--Easter
This would be my 'desert island' Patti Smith album. I have this on LP, as you probably already know. God, I love that fucking record!!!

Today's stuff:
CTI Summer Jazz AllStars @ The Hollywood Bowl 7-30-72

Boss Hog (various)

• View Profile
Re: music compilation
« Reply #3099 on: February 05, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

A survivor compilation is a great idea! Someone (like yourself) should just start gathering material to put together in some form or another. I know there are plenty of people who could contribute music, as well as art to go with it. Please be sure and mention this to Dragonfly, if you haven't already! And..thanks for the CDs!!! I love that sort of groove-oriented jazz, you can hear later Miles Davis all over some of that (even though he wasn't in on those sessions). That one CD (7/30/72) got me all the way in to work today; you could say it was the perfect listen for that ride... :tup:

Oh! Yeah! ...  O0

...and I'm on it!  Send any original material to me and I'll put it together.  No copyrights or nothin involved.  It'll just be a home-made cd, you know, but one we can make endless copies of.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: February 05, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
The Kinks--"Big Sky", "Wicked Annabella"

Black Sabbath--"The Wizard"

Jimi Hendrix--"Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" (live)

Gang Of Four--Solid Gold

Joe Jackson--"Oh Well" (cover of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac)

Canned Heat--Future Blues

Roy Harper--Stormcock

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: February 05, 2009, 10:44:45 PM »
Razboinika Blagorazoumnago (The Judicious Villian)

liner notes:
    Boris Christoff, Bass, sings Bulgarian and Russian Orthodox Chants, accompanied by the Choir of the Alexander Nevsky Memorial Church, Sofia, conducted by Angel Konstantinov. Christoff renders a vivid illustration of the Slavonic chants originating in Bulgaria in the ninth century. This chant praises God's mercy in accepting the judicious villain into Paradise.[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
    « Reply #3102 on: February 06, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"

liner notes:
      Boris Christoff, Bass, sings Bulgarian and Russian Orthodox Chants, accompanied by the Choir of the Alexander Nevsky Memorial Church, Sofia, conducted by Angel Konstantinov. Christoff renders a vivid illustration of the Slavonic chants originating in Bulgaria in the ninth century. This chant praises God's mercy in accepting the judicious villain into Paradise.[/list]
      I have always liked Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, the music of The Bulgarian Women's choir; does this sound anything like that (assuming you're familiar with it)?

• View Profile
      « Reply #3103 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:57 AM »
      Wow man, I thought I had eclectic taste!  I bet it is good, though

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #3104 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »
      Quote from: "Froderik"
      Quote from: "Ursus"

liner notes:
        I have always liked Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, the music of The Bulgarian Women's choir; does this sound anything like that (assuming you're familiar with it)?

Yes and no re. sounding similar... The Bulgarian liturgical chants are sung a cappella, by definition, as are most of the selections by Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares (if not all), but thereafter the similarities begin to peter out... (although I would venture that Christoff's Slavonic chants come closer than his other material).

Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares have four selections you can play right on their website, in case anyone is interested. My favorite of those is 'Danyova Mama' ('Danyo's Mother'). There are some more tracks (some full, some previews) on last.fm, along with some other related material. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a version of one of my favorite of their recordings, namely 'Pilentse Pee' (also known as 'Pilentze Sings', and 'A Little Bird is Singing'), a rather famous Bulgarian folk tune also recorded by a few other groups, e.g., the Strouma Folk Ensemble and Trio Bulgarka. There is a snippet of that song sung by the London Bulgarian Choir that can be accessed from the latter's website, but I find the range of nasal intonations along with other uniquely Bulgarian sounds to be a tad flattened or "conventionalized" for my taste. Still beautiful, but more mainstream.

Boris Christoff, on the other hand, was a classical Opera star, whose repertoire focussed mainly on Italian and Russian material. Considered to be one of the greatest basses of all time, his voice had a dramatic presence not wholly explained by its range or timbre. His life was filled with controversy, political intrigue, and scandal, both on and off the stage, including a public pissing fest with Maria Callas in the Fifties and a sword fight with a fellow performer that turned a little too real. At one point, the American government denied him entry for his scheduled debut at the Metropolitan, claiming he was a Soviet spy, and yet his own native Bulgaria (Communist at the time) wouldn't even let him return to attend his own father's funeral. You'll never be able to find a biography that tells the whole story. Some more material on THIS page (not all of it written in the best English!).

-------------- • -------------- • --------------