Author Topic: Thayer Marketing  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« on: January 27, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
Hi
i looked @ the marketing on it's website. The promotional video made it look horrible. i cant believe anyone would send their kid there based just on the video. If this is what they promote god only knowS what they hide from the families. The army guys openly admitted to using "exercise" as a punishment and occasionally taking a kid down to the ground. There was no emphasis on what any responsible adult does to calm an anrgry kid at all!!!
 The female teacher said that when a kid wrote to the family with things they were too embarrased to tell her she would raise it with them. Why would she think she has more right to know than the actual mother? Why would a mother looking for help find this reassuring??? The other teacher who dealt with the families looked barely older than the kids and seemed to genuinely relish jailing & taunting them. What does this teach kids? That being a mature adult involves being a spiteful bully?? By the end of the video there were a few adults I had a vague urge to slap so I can only imagine the reaction it would provoke in a pissed off teenage boy.

The only positives for a kid the video seemed to promote was healthy food & budgeting skills. Even the class room teacher said it was more about discipline than academic achievement. The staff seemed to confuse the difference between a right and a privelige. A right is I dunno lets say- AN EDUCATION. Being able to communicate freely (it is after all an offence to read somebody elses mail) a privelige is something that anotehr does not have to give like say a car.
Have the parents that watched this video & send their kid there based on it not heard of grounding kids, or giving them a proverbial kick in the pants. What ever happened to old fashioned maternal guilt? or taking the car keys? Or talking things out??? How on earth can you promote "family values" if you cant privately be with or talk to your family? How does this ethos make any sense?? Wouldnt any parent fear that a kid who was merely bratty when they went in come out a bitter sociopath? The message to parents was not one of helping the kid get back on track but of "your child is an asshole so send him to us & we will bust his or her chops for a year & then give him back to you & they will be a perfect robot"

Why not consider a professional if your kid has an actual problem with learning or addiction? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THESE INSANE PEOPLE!!!!
& What the fuck is with the creepy red t shirts? Are they to identify kids that need to be indivudiually taunted & mocked by their sadistic teachers?
Well i think i have finished with this irrational rant! Byee  :wave:

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
It is amazing how the one woman in the video says, "It is not about force." How can she say that about a boot camp with a straight face. The kids were brought there by force and they were forced to follow the rules. The DI's even said so.

That says a lot about the hypocrisy of the place. If you are going to change kids by forcing them through boot camp and a behavior modification program, you should at least acknowledge the truth that you are using force.

Then they talk about kids complaining about the 'wheat' and one kid jokes about, "I love the wheat." All the other kids laugh knowingly. You would have to be a complete idiot to think the kids like this stuff. It must be disgusting, or they would not make such a big deal about it.

The kids mail is read, in and out. Not only does this teach a lack of trust to all involved and is disrespectful, it's illegal. This is so obviously an attempt at control and cover-up that only an idiot would not see it. The woman tries to minimize the damage by describing how useful it is to pry into the students lives, but doesn't get that she has no business going there in the first place.

And what about kids who don't believe in God. I wonder how they would deal with a proclaimed atheist in their seminar where kids are supposed to develop their own set of values and beliefs. I bet it would not be pretty (send them back to boot camp, I bet). I bet they would use force to force a kid to believe in their non-denominational God.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »
i would hope to god (pardon the pun) that the token athiest would be smart enough to keep their mouth shut!
I also noted that none of the kids said what it was they were in for. The girl with short hair and glasses looked like she had absolutely no self confidence whatsoever & the African American lad looked as if his worse crime had been being a smart ass. Im sure they beat that right out of him. As to the tall thin boy, even as he was selling its virtues he was on the verge of tears. I dont know why this would be a selling point. What is it? Send us your son and he will go from being agressive to just depressed?
  :rofl:

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
The cheesy opening sequence with Mitch is also dangerous.

Mitch was acting like a normal teenager. That exact scenario has probably occured in the households of most teenagers a few times. It did in mine. I pulled a 'Mitch' more than once at that age. My parents were smart enough to let it go. They would let me stay in my room and calm down and only much later would there be a gentle knocking at my door and a gentle query concerning what had upset me and can we talk about it.

This sequence could easily cause a clueless parent to think that their kid is 'out of control' just because he throws a very typical young teen tantrum. They would misconstrue the episode as a lack of respect and off to the program goes Mitch.

In other words, this is marketing ploy depicting a normal outburst as being a big problem that only severe, crack the whip, discipline, TLC style, can fix.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
I had just assumed that "mitch" had done something vile in the first place like vandalising a bus or robbing a granny & was on his way home from an evening of delinquency and crime. Hence the dad sitting alone in the dark for dramatic effect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »
thanks for clearing that up for us, willa.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
Or, he could be angry because his girl just dumped him, or his friends ditched him and he's accidently broken curfew because when they ditched him, he had to walk home. At the moment he's angry and hurt and takes it out on his overly intrusive parents who would only say wonderfully unhelpful things like; "There, there." or "There are plenty of fish..."

Sometimes, you have be thick skinned to be a parent and understand that, "I hate you!" Means "I need you to give me space and then talk later when I calm down."

Teenagers speak a different language.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
or....mitch could have bee out smoking pot (again), braking curfew (again), and he was using the family car.  he misused the priveldges his parent gave him.  i am not saying to immediately send a kid to a wilderness program or any program but a lot of kids these days just do not care for the priveldges that their parents so lovingly give them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »
On 2006-06-10 22:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"thanks for clearing that up for us, willa."

I was being Ironic!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
Your mom was being ironic..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
"or....mitch could have bee out smoking pot (again), braking curfew (again), and he was using the family car. he misused the priveldges his parent gave him. i am not saying to immediately send a kid to a wilderness program or any program but a lot of kids these days just do not care for the priveldges that their parents so lovingly give them."

I'm glad my characters don't post here anymore. Typing their replies would incinerate my soul.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
On 2006-06-11 18:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"or....mitch could have bee out smoking pot (again), braking curfew (again), and he was using the family car.  he misused the priveldges his parent gave him.  i am not saying to immediately send a kid to a wilderness program or any program but a lot of kids these days just do not care for the priveldges that their parents so lovingly give them."

Nor should they care. You cannot buy your child's love with bribes or leniency or privileges, nor can you convince your child you care with such tactics. You cannot expect a child to love you and be grateful because you gave them what you chose to give them.

Go ahead and call your child ungrateful. See how far that gets you. Watch what they do with this damaging information which basically says to them, "You are not worthy."

Your child comes into this world and owes you nothing. You owe the child the best parenting you can give.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »

"or....mitch could have bee out smoking pot (again), braking curfew (again), and he was using the family car.  he misused the priveldges his parent gave him.  i am not saying to immediately send a kid to a wilderness program or any program but a lot of kids these days just do not care for the priveldges that their parents so lovingly give them."

Nor should they care. You cannot buy your child's love with bribes or leniency or privileges, nor can you convince your child you care with such tactics. You cannot expect a child to love you and be grateful because you gave them what you chose to give them.

Go ahead and call your child ungrateful. See how far that gets you. Watch what they do with this damaging information which basically says to them, "You are not worthy."

Your child comes into this world and owes you nothing. You owe the child the best parenting you can give.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Thayer Marketing
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »