Author Topic: Lawsuits and complaints against Hyde School?  (Read 18649 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lawsuits and complaints against Hyde School?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 08:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would love to hear the outcome of this as our son falls into the very group you are talking about, and has just been asked to leave the school.  They gave up on him awfully quickly despite the fact that he does not lie, cheat, steal, engage in sexual activity, or use drugs, alcohol, or tobacco - as most of the students there do - and was doing well academically.  The school knew before admitting him that he had a temper control problem, and I'm sure I was quite specific as to the nature of his verbal outburts.  To my knowledge, he has had 3 such episodes since November - really very few considering how difficult it is to be new to the Hyde "process" and in my mind, reflected progress!  I had also seen progress in other areas with him and had come around to embrace and trust the school's philosophy - despite the odd scene I witnessed with Joe Gauld being rude and condescending to parents who dared question him during an FLC weekend.

Now we are out $35,000, not to mention all the time and money spent going to and fro to school and regional meetings, and looking at our son's sophomore year going down the drain.  How ironic that the small Catholic high school he WAS attending seemed so much more compassionate and equipped and willinig to work with him!  Sad ....."

There are many other situations like your where Hyde accepted a kid and it didn't work out.  In some of these cases Hyde never should have accepted the kid because they didn't have the right kind of program that the kid needed.  In some cases Joe Gauld or someone else basically told the parents to take a hike because they questioned some of Hyde's abusive tactics.  You may want to talk to a lawyer about going after Hyde if you think Hyde didn't live up to its end of the bargain.  My impression is that a number of parents have filed suit against Hyde, or at least threatened to file suit, and Hyde has offered some kind of monetary settlement to make the case go away.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
I find it ironic that a school founded by Joe Gauld, a man who has a legendary temper problem, asks kids to leave because of their own temper control problems.

Joe's behavior on the tennis court where he throws down his racket and bites the tennis ball is common knowledge. One could say he didn't hurt anyone else by that behavior, but his angry outbursts have been directed at parents, faculty and students as well. I wonder how the angry behavior of the student who was asked to leave recently differed from the manifestations of Joe's rages?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
He was asked to leave immediately, though just that morning, another administrator had said he could stay, as long as it didn't happen again.  So now we are trying to figure out if Hyde will coordinate with a tutor or another school here so that he can get his academic credits.
Yes, my child's outburts are scary ..... but I'm certain I was upfront with the administration about this during the admissions process, and I have copies of all the medical paperwork I turned in, clearly stating the type of medication he takes, as well as his diagnosis.  Why is it that students who engage in sexual behavior on campus, and bring drugs into the dorms are allowed to continue?  Doesn't their behavior also make it unsafe for other students?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 15:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"He was asked to leave immediately, though just that morning, another administrator had said he could stay, as long as it didn't happen again.  So now we are trying to figure out if Hyde will coordinate with a tutor or another school here so that he can get his academic credits.

Yes, my child's outburts are scary ..... but I'm certain I was upfront with the administration about this during the admissions process, and I have copies of all the medical paperwork I turned in, clearly stating the type of medication he takes, as well as his diagnosis.  Why is it that students who engage in sexual behavior on campus, and bring drugs into the dorms are allowed to continue?  Doesn't their behavior also make it unsafe for other students?"

Are you saying Hyde was aware of your child's mental health and medication needs when they accepted him?  He sounds like someone who could have used some professional counseling that's part of the boarding school; perhaps this would have helped him benefit from the character education approach.  I know alot of Hyde students who have similar challenges.  They end up washing out of Hyde because the school simply doesn't understand how to respond to their mental health needs.  It's part of Hyde's sad tragedy.  I don't understand why Hyde accepts so many kids with these kinds of mental health challenges when they don't have the staff or will to help them.  Isn't that unethical?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 15:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I find it ironic that a school founded by Joe Gauld, a man who has a legendary temper problem, asks kids to leave because of their own temper control problems.

Joe's behavior on the tennis court where he throws down his racket and bites the tennis ball is common knowledge. One could say he didn't hurt anyone else by that behavior, but his angry outbursts have been directed at parents, faculty and students as well. I wonder how the angry behavior of the student who was asked to leave recently differed from the manifestations of Joe's rages? "

Anyone who has spent any significant amount of time around Mr. Gauld knows that he is a very complicated man.  He may have some insight into adolescents, but whatever insight he has is overshadowed by his notorious hypocrisy.  Gauld is the kind of person who preaches Hyde's virtues one minute and then turns around and behaves in ways that are completely opposite the next minute.  Either he's unaware of his own hypocrisy or is so arrogant that he doesn't care.  Neither option is flattering and completely discredits Hyde School.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 10:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Kids are only asked to leave Hyde if they are a threat to the community.  It's sounds like your kid's outbursts don't fit in to the program, disrupting it and making it hard for Hyde to work for the other kids.  

Does he/she have to leave right away or are they just not accepting him/her for next year...

If it's the latter you're not "Out $35K", you paid for the school year and that's what you got.

Hopefully as a family, there was some positive movement, if not, it ain't just your kid's fault for getting the hook!"

IT IS SO NOT TRUE that kids only get kicked out if they are a threat to the community!  What kind of threat?  Do you mean a physical threat or maybe did he piss off the wrong person?  HYDE has a pattern of kicking kids out and keeping the money.  You don't know what you are talking about when you say they only throw out threatening kids!!  I personally know of families who have been thrown out because Joe Gauld or one of the other maniacs didn't agree with a parent.  I saw one child cry and cry the day they were asked to leave because the administration didn't like the father's behavior!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

"I would love to hear the outcome of this as our son falls into the very group you are talking about, and has just been asked to leave the school.  They gave up on him awfully quickly despite the fact that he does not lie, cheat, steal, engage in sexual activity, or use drugs, alcohol, or tobacco - as most of the students there do - and was doing well academically.  The school knew before admitting him that he had a temper control problem, and I'm sure I was quite specific as to the nature of his verbal outburts.  To my knowledge, he has had 3 such episodes since November - really very few considering how difficult it is to be new to the Hyde "process" and in my mind, reflected progress!  I had also seen progress in other areas with him and had come around to embrace and trust the school's philosophy - despite the odd scene I witnessed with Joe Gauld being rude and condescending to parents who dared question him during an FLC weekend.

Now we are out $35,000, not to mention all the time and money spent going to and fro to school and regional meetings, and looking at our son's sophomore year going down the drain.  How ironic that the small Catholic high school he WAS attending seemed so much more compassionate and equipped and willinig to work with him!  Sad ....."

You do not need to "be out $35,000" unless there is much more than you are saying.  There are legal ways to recoup this money

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 17:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

You do not need to "be out $35,000" unless there is much more than you are saying.  There are legal ways to recoup this money"

Can you offer practical advice about the best way to challenge Hyde legally?  Names of lawyers who have experience doing this and know what Hyde is all about?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

"

You do not need to "be out $35,000" unless there is much more than you are saying.  There are legal ways to recoup this money"

When you were talking about angry outburst at first I thought you were talking about Joe. (Just Kidding Joe) Your kid bet Hyde.  Where are the teachers of old who would break down the seeming insurmountable barriers, like Annie Sullivan?  Hyde is giving up?  Perhaps hyde is not challenging the staff enough.
Kids with dope in the dorms?  Summer school maybe. There were so many kid that would turn you in regular year, it was like the stazi in East Germany. Dope? Damn not when I was there.  I would have like to step out after sports and stoked up a stick of the old chronic. Sounds like the whole place has gone down hill.  Oh wait this must be Woodstock. Never mind.

Sue Doenym

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 18:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Can you offer practical advice about the best way to challenge Hyde legally?  Names of lawyers who have experience doing this and know what Hyde is all about?"

I would be willing to bet you signed an agreement that waived your rights.  They can be delt with by a good lawyer.  Hyde probably settles these things out of court and requires a non -disclosure agreement.  ISn't there a lawyer on this list that is a disgruntled grad? He could tell you how to network to find some one that knows the ropes. I bet it has been done before.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
On 2006-04-10 18:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-10 18:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Can you offer practical advice about the best way to challenge Hyde legally?  Names of lawyers who have experience doing this and know what Hyde is all about?"

I would be willing to bet you signed an agreement that waived your rights.  They can be delt with by a good lawyer.  Hyde probably settles these things out of court and requires a non -disclosure agreement.  ISn't there a lawyer on this list that is a disgruntled grad? He could tell you how to network to find some one that knows the ropes. I bet it has been done before.

"

Yes, I think Hyde settles these lawsuits quietly and puts tape over parents' mouths by requiring them to sign nondisclosure agreements in exchange for money.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »
Boy, you have no clue what Hyde's all about....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
On 2006-04-11 03:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Boy, you have no clue what Hyde's all about...."

Hyde is a business.  A fairly sucessful one.  When confronted with the likelyhood of being brought into civil court it hires a lawyer.  Hydes lawyer speaks lawyer speak to the plantiffs lawyer.  Perhaps there is one or two rounds of discovery.  There is lawyer posing and sabre rattling then they cut a deal. I believe hyde was in a position like this in the not too distant past in the nutmeg state.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
Are you talking facty or hearsay?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
On 2006-04-11 06:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Are you talking facty or hearsay?"

I said "believe."  A belief is just that. I have no direct knowledge.  I am not claiming it as a fact. That is why I said belief.   I am not a lawyer.  I have played one, so I know enough to chose my words in these matters.