Author Topic: Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy Expeditions  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy Expeditions
« on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Does any one have any solid evidence or proof of any abuse, injury or death in regards to this children's "therapy" program.  If so, please respond to [email protected].

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
Deaths

Erica Harvey (15)                      
d. May 27, 2002                        
Catherine Freer Wilderness (Nevada)

Corey Baines (16)                    
d. March 16, 2003                      
Catherine Freer Wilderness (Oregon)

source: http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.c ... pline.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
Vanessa?s parents did have some idea. ?I knew there were risks,? says Cliff. Indeed, lately the wilderness program industry has been rocked by the news of the deaths of two students just this year: one in the Catherine Freer program in Oregon, and one in July at Skyline Journey, which is based out of Nephi.

full news article
http://www.slweekly.com/editorial/2002/ ... -08-22.cfm

Offline WWFSMD

• View Profile
    • http://www.venganza.org/
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
http://fornits.com/wwf/search.php?term=Catherine Freer &addterms=phrase&forum=all&sortby=p.post_time+desc&searchboth=both&submit=Search'>Catherine Freer

"Replace end user" (The Top Support Call Closer 10 Years Running)

--Bastard Administrator

bey your Noodly Master

Emancipate from mental slavery

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
That is such a sterile introduction and question. Are you a reporter or something? :silly:

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
I attended the program from June-August of 2005. For the most part, it was a very good program. I'm doing very well now. However, we had one runaway at the end of the program... and I'm not sure that they handled that in the greatest way. They don't let you stop if you fall or are feeling physical pain. You can't drink water when you need/want to, there are only scheduled water breaks. There was one day where we hiked for 9 miles, and we ran out of water before the day was even halfway done. That was not exactly "safe". There isn't any abuse, at least not that I know of. The staff members are very respectful.

However, they don't seem to pay attention to your food intake. I have severe self-esteem problems, some may classify it as an eating disorder, and I was physically sick twice from not eating enough (once I fainted, once I was vomiting/passing out). They did nothing to enforce my eating at all. I'm lucky to be alive.

There was one group member that was going through opiate withdrawl... and she still had to hike. She puked a few times, she was visibly shaking. They accept just about everyone, so thats one thing to be careful of. About 90% of the kids have drug problems. You're the odd man/woman out if you have never done drugs, because most of the program is based on drug treatment. However, nothing is done to comtrol withdrawl.

There have been two deaths, one in Oregon, one in Nevada. One (Erica Harvey) was due to negligence. There is a wrongful death suit in place. However, the Corey Baines death was an accident, there was no way to prevent it. A large tree limb fell on his head.

Hope this helps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Regarding Corey Baines.  Did it ever occur to anyone that you don't set up a tent under snow-heavy branches?  Corey wouldn't have died if his tent had been out in the open instead of under  that tree where the branch that gave way came crashing down on him.

I say this was a fatality caused by gross incompetence but what do I know.  I'm not a trained wilderness camp counselor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
LauraLee,
How do your parents feel about the 'treatment' you received, hindsight?
You feel there was no abuse, but many of the things you describe are considered abuse, particularly controlling food and water.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:57:00 AM »
On 2006-01-19 16:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Regarding Corey Baines.  Did it ever occur to anyone that you don't set up a tent under snow-heavy branches?  Corey wouldn't have died if his tent had been out in the open instead of under  that tree where the branch that gave way came crashing down on him.

I say this was a fatality caused by gross incompetence but what do I know.  I'm not a trained wilderness camp counselor. "

The branch was so heavy that two counsellors were unable to move it.  It should have been obvious that it was not safe to pitch a tent there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 04:32:00 AM »
Catherine Freer has had another death too:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... =9&start=0

Offline LauraLee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
I think you misunderstood my "nothing to control my food intake". They didn't enforce me to eat, but I did have plenty of food.

I wouldn't call it abuse... but what the hell do I know about abuse?

My parents are thinking I'm being "brainwashed" by talking on these forums... I had no idea about deaths or anything before I went to Catherine Freer.

They think my treatment was succesful. I just think that the treatment scared me into being good... and also a change of my meds. The actual "therapy" did absolutley nothing. I would never recommend wilderness therapy to anyone, ever.