Author Topic: Punished for what crime?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
Punished for what crime?
« on: January 15, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
Punished for what Crime..

It is established that TC?s are not only treatment centers, but also and predominantly so are they centers for punishment.  The government on different levels not only know about, but also support these programs, which leads to the question: Why are children who use drugs, being punished?  The success rate of these programs is terrible, and yet still these centers are in place continuing their worthless work, in their small corners of existence.  So what is their purpose?

It becomes clear that their obvious purpose is solely punishment, and not therapy of any kind.  I say that children who use drugs are being punished for quite simply disobedience.  It is very convenient for the government to have a place to put people who do not listen.. who do not obey.  A place to have their individuality beat out of them.

In entering a place, such as Daytop, one might quickly realize where they are.  The signs on the wall might be an indicator? comparable to political, or religious propaganda, or to that of a cult.  Next the similarity in language of all the residents might be an indicator.  They all seem to use the same words, and the same phrases, yet very few even know what the words, nor the phrases actually mean.  One might next then realize the God/ Principle/Ideology/Figure Head/ Higher Power..  In this case it is ?Sobriety?  Sobriety is given as the last line of defense to rationlise every wrong-doing within these places.

You quickly get the feeling that you are in some type of cult or oppressive governing body designed with the purpose of squelching out your identity, and individually.  Is it possible that the government views teen users of drugs a threat, because they have proven that they are people willing to, or with a tendency to disobey, make their own decisions, and ignore society?  It fits.  All throughout youth, you are told not to do drugs.  You are given reasons not to do them.  Programs are financed to influence you in the direction of never so much as trying them, and yet you did.  You have proven yourself a person who either cannot or will be controlled.  If a gentle prodding does not work, they must think, then perhaps, a genuine ass kicking will.  It is kind of like taming a horse.  They call it therapy, but is it in the best interest of the patient?  Was it ever believed that it would be?

Society?s loose noose is not working, and so they tighten the noose.  Hell maybe it will work.. maybe it will not, but no matter, as they are not the ones going through it.  Whether it is intentional on the part of the programs, and government or not is irrelevant though.  It is wrong, reguardless, and if I can see this, and so can any other reasonable person, given the proper information, how can the ?powers that be? not?

My hope is not for the government to shut these places down, or put further restrictions on them.  I would like however, to see the government withdraw it?s support from these places, and cease it?s favors. ( and there are very many favors, of which I know, and I am sure that there are far many more that I don ?t know).  Essentaily, I think what will be the end of these places is more people knowing their reality, better alternatives available, and all areas of the government, getting completely, totally, and entirely out of the way.  The Governmet has no role in the realm of professional psychological practice.  Of course, another thing that would help, would be parents taking more responsibility for their own children, and not looking for quick fixes to the ?problem? that is their child.  

Paul St. John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Punished for what crime?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »
Personally, I'm not real big on regulation and legal restrictions. I think they always follow the public consensus, not the other way around. So changes in that area are sort of a helpful indicator of what's going on, but not (in my view) the overall objective. My objective is about like yours, it takes a thousand voices to tell just one story. This one is so often so badly told, it badly needs telling well.

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
Punished for what crime?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
On 2006-01-15 14:38:00, Antigen wrote:

"Personally, I'm not real big on regulation and legal restrictions.

Yeah, I think, if they were to put legal regulations and restrictions on the places,
it would be purposeless.  If something is wrong, it is wrong.  It is not in the details but in the root philosophy, or I guess you could even say soul of the place.  It is at the coire structure, that these places are incorrect.  Putting regulations on these places is just stupid, as now they do less of anything, and still take up space, and probably more resources.  Not too mention, that the basic philosophy of the place will always find a way of asserting itself, reguardless of any specific regulation over specific areas of the treatment center.

I think they always follow the public consensus, not the other way around.

Or perhaps,even both.. They seem to feed one another overall, when I look at it.

So changes in that area are sort of a helpful indicator of what's going on, but not (in my view) the overall objective.

Yeah, I see what you mean.  Regulations that come about, do give you an idea of what is going on, and what people are willing tolerate.

My objective is about like yours, it takes a thousand voices to tell just one story. This one is so often so badly told, it badly needs telling well.

"

Agreed.   :smile:

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Punished for what crime?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
On 2006-01-15 14:38:00, Antigen wrote:

"Personally, I'm not real big on regulation and legal restrictions. I think they always follow the public consensus, not the other way around. So changes in that area are sort of a helpful indicator of what's going on, but not (in my view) the overall objective. My objective is about like yours, it takes a thousand voices to tell just one story. This one is so often so badly told, it badly needs telling well.

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"

The danger is that to license and regulate these facilities and programs would be to legitimize them. The risk would be that this form of 'treatment' would become accepted practice. Hey, they are all licensed and regulated, so it must be good, right?

I would rather see a ban on their practices, or at least enforcement of existing child abuse laws.