Author Topic: raised eyebrows, police coersion and further concerns  (Read 1642 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
raised eyebrows, police coersion and further concerns
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
August 14, 1973

Charles Mays
556 W. Flagler St.
Miami, Fl  

Re:  The Seed

Dear MR. Mays:

I'm not sure I can be of much help to you concerning your investigation of the Seed's operational procedures and governmental involvement.  I have had only a brief exposure to the mysterious dealings of the "drug rehabilitation program."

During the early part of July, I had the occasion to meet an eighteen year old who had just been sentenced to six months in the Seed, said sentence being imposed by a local municipal judge.  During the course of the investigation of that incident I learned that certain police officers had retained a quantity of evidence seized during the course of the youth's arrest.  The police retained this evidence to use a threat, thus any effort on my part to have the sentence of the court vacated would have exposed the youth to felony charges.  I therefore abandoned my effort to aid him, as I could do nothing that would really "help" him.

However, I have learned that the above method of retaining evidence (either by the police or the Seed itself) is not uncommon.   I have spoken to several circuit court judges, in this area and they  are not at all impressed with the Seed's attitude of being above the law.  Other than the aforementioned conferences I have not had a chance to challenge the Seed's authority to completely deprive an offender of his basic rights.

page 2

I do know that it is very difficult to visit a "Seedling" while he is at the Seed.  During my brief term as the aforementioned youth's counsel I literally had to threaten the people of the seed before they would even allow me to talk to my client.

There are a great many questions concerning The Seed that need to be answered.  Both the methods of "obtaining" Seedlings and the method of indoctrination need to be aired so that all can see how close 1984 really is.

I am sorry that I cannot be of much assistance in your investigation.  If I ever Get a client again, who, like the aforementioned youth, was railroaded into the program, I definitely plan to raise Hell, but until then I really have no standing.

Sincerely,

John Henninger.
Henninger & Disano
Attorneys and Counselor at Law
Clearwater Fl   33516
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
This was a response to an ACLU legal assistanct named Charles Mays' request for information on The Seed from the Miami branch of the ACLU to a local attorney who had represented a kid sentenced to the seed.

After this response, this letter was forwarded to the St Pete chapter of the ACLU and  Mr. Mays had indicated by cover letter "...discreet form of blackmail was employed to assure that his client participate in Seed.  I suspect that this incidence is no isolated situation and is often employed to assure participation in Seed....would appreciate it if your office can render assistance in investigating cases of this nature, and forward me any and all information that you may have on Seed and governmnent therewith."

The pinellas branch of the ACLU  was already having concerns about a 20 year old who was sentenced as  a "minor" to the seed by a local judge in the pocket of The Seed.

The ACLU continually stayed concerned about the rights of Kids being forced into the Seed and the local involvement of judges, police and even the school system, mostly by parents of seedlings in positions of authority.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
my two favorite parts of this letter.

Before I go there, this letter was written literally within two months of the Seed opening in St Pete. I offer this in hopes of clearing up the misconception that 1) people didn't know that something was amiss and this all happened in an innocent vacuum of knowledge 2) that no one was trying to help.

Back to my two favorite parts of the letter.

1)  He put in quotes "drug rehabilitation center" and said it in a sarcastic text.  It is clear that people knew it was a bit, ahem...more than just that.

2)  the 1984 reference.  Again...people knew, and they were on the case.  They were just fighting the entire St Pete society from the police to the judges, from  the employers to the school system.  It was a big sloppy mess.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »
Hmmmm, very interesting...

I would imagine that the author of the letter took the mater of disclosing such information  with some reservation. That's not the kind of thing that would tend to make anyone very popular, let alone a criminal defense attorney.
Even in 1974 that's just not the kind of accusation one would make without some basis in fact.  There would be far too much collateral damage to the attorney, and more than likely, to the client as well.  Thems fightin' words, knowwudamean?
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa