Author Topic: Forum moderation and wild conspiracies.  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Forum moderation and wild conspiracies.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
Oh, just search on "My wife is PERFECTLY HAPPY with the missionary position" as a phrase.

I believe that relgion is the belief in future life and in God. I don't believe in either. I don't believe in God as I don't believe in Mother Goose.
--Clarence Darrow, American lawyer

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »
How the hell do I do that! :lol:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Aw, come on...

It takes a village idiot to believe that a family needs instruction from the government to raise a child.
-- Anonymous homeschooler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
I tried to do the search, 4 links come up, but I can't find the actual *priceless* argument!!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
On 2006-01-15 13:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The danger in moderating a forum like this one is the moderator will tend to consider posts they dont like to be "spam" and delete them. This is not a position that can be objective in my opinion, unless the moderator is brought in and has no opinion either way on the subject. We all know how Deborah feels about this issue, so I feel she cannot be objective. Not that there is anything wrong with that necesarilly, I just feel she will have a hard time being objective because of her opinions on this issue."

My opinions and experience are attached to a user name, unlike yours at the current moment.
What are your concerns, specific to you?

I'm certain that I am not completely objective (are any of us?), but may be more so than the moderator of the HLA forum. The difference here- all 'opinons' are welcome here.

Can I identify spam. Yes.
Could I eliminate the of harrassment of survivors? Yes, to a large degree.
Could I control everything? No, and don't care to.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
Don't take yor "job" so seriously babe, jeeeez :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
The irony here is that one of the most frequent complaints that I have heard about HLA is that they try to monitor and control what is said about them.  Anyone who tries to control the communication should not be trusted.

Is that still true?

Are there now times where it is appropriate to put limits on conversation?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »
Personally? I don't think so. But some folks who I respect dissagree. Just look over the Seed forum. Why not? You have old buddies there, don't you? You might know one of my brothers or sisters.

But Greg runs it w/ a critical mind and a sincere interest in all viewpoints and an old fashioned sense of what is and is not civil, proper behavior for mixed company. I can't argue. Let's see what she does.

Is Deb biased? Sure. But you just go and find me someone who knows anything meaningful about this industry and who hasn't got an opinion.

I'd still like to know what, if any, connection exists between the Farell of Quirk and Quirk and the sole advocate for Randal Hinton w/ Litchfield money throughout the whole Kemper deal.

Hey, ya'll know who your critics are and where we are. We certainly don't have any carefully disguised, well funded cabal of operatives, or even carelessly so. Why are you folks so circumspect about that normally casually public info? What have you got to hide? Why are you so skeered to put your balls on the table like the rest of us?

Just something to think about

Under the benign influence of our republican institutions, and the maintenance of peace with all nations whilst so many of them were engaged in bloody and wasteful wars, the fruits of a just policy were enjoyed in an unrivaled growth of our faculties and resources.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/foundingdocs/inaugural/madison1stinaug.html' target='_new'>James Madison

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »
Not scared.  Just pointing out a double standard.

You make some good points though.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »
On 2006-01-15 18:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The irony here is that one of the most frequent complaints that I have heard about HLA is that they try to monitor and control what is said about them.  Anyone who tries to control the communication should not be trusted.

Is that still true?

Are there now times where it is appropriate to put limits on conversation?

"

You've apparently misunderstood. I have no desire to monitor/control what you say to or about others. I would prefer that you own it.

There is a clear distinction between moderating and censorship.
Kids at HLA are monitored and censored, followed by swift punishment.
The HLA forum is monitored and censored. All 'opinions' are not allowed.

No one will control or punish you here unless you consider pulling in the reins on someone running amok, punishment.

I have no desire to censor or 'control' any of your opinions. I actually appreciate the participation of HLA staff (you too Suzanne), provided you post under a user name and identify as such. If you are opposed to identifying as staff/teacher/administrator (name optional), you certainly have the option not to participate.

I?m not sure moderator 'is' the appropriate term for this position. It's what the owner/software chose and what stands. It does imply an impartial, objective (impossible), mediator of sorts. I?m not impartial and have stated as much. Nor do I care to mediate personal disputes. I stated what my 'moderating' goals would be in the first post so I won?t reiterate them here.

You have a user name. Why aren?t you using it?  You obviously have some resentment toward DJ. Why hash it out on a public forum? Private message him. My guess is that he?d appreciate the opportunity to talk to you.

What I have noticed thus far in the discussion of moderation is that all those opposed have user names, but posted their dissent anonymously, and have some affiliation with HLA.

We?ll see how survivors and other participants weigh in on the issue. Tomorrow is a new day.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »
Can you tell us what Short Bus brings to the conversation?

The answer is nothing, he doenst comment on HLA because he doenst know anything about it because he was never there.

Since that is the case and he is simply wasting bandwith why not remove his comments?

Why waste time going through comments that have nothing to do with the conversation?

Removing opposing opinions is something else altogether.

No double standard just you evading the real issues.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »
ShortBus = JamesFrey
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10808306/

Quote from James Frey:
"If you do what the [Alcoholics Anonymous 'Big Book'] says, you will be cured. If you follow their righteous path, that path will lead you straight to redemption. If you join the club, you're the lucky winner of a lifelong supply of bullshit Meetings full of whining, complaining and blaming...

Certainly 'sounds' like Shortbus. Just loves to whine and complain about other survivors whining and complaing. Very curious.

Was HLA really a "cake walk" in comparison to the the tough Hazeldon rehab?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
Well, that's one way to take it. But I was thinking more along the lines of great media hoaxters and forum trolls.

Take Million Little Pieces as the most astute troll ever perpatrated on and at the expense of the stepcraft culture. Never mind that he disavows the stepcraft method austensibly. The whole book is nothing but a protracted oldcomer introduction, complete w/ wild flights of fantasey.

And the audience eagerly lapped up each last little morsel of unbelievable bullshit. They just loves their soap operas, don't they children?

So, dude made some millions off of it. Good for him. I doubt if he planned on getting busted, but so much the better that he has.

Now here's SB pretending to work for HLA at the task of revealing someone's name and location. I don't even think he came up w/ the idea, he's just stoking your own paranoia about it. Think about it. There are far better, quicker and easier ways to find someone's location than by relentlessly trolling a web forum.

Arms in the hands of citizens [may] be used at individual discretion...in private self-defense...
-- John Adams, (1788)