Author Topic: Karlye Newman at SCL  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
Poor Karlye...Her mother used to write her the worst letters.  Linda Topp was an irresponsible family mother for Integrity that left Karlye in the bathroom without checking before exiting the cabin.  I just thank God that she was the one who found her and not the whole family upon returning to the cabin.  It was gross negilence on the part of Spring Creek.  This should not have happened.  Parents pay large tuitions for their children to receive the best possible care.  Where was the care here?  Ultimately it is on Spring Creek for allowing such a untrained, unprofessional staff on the payroll.  Wake up Chaffin, Cameron and the rest of you people.  I want you to smell the coffee!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline emaree

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
just to clear things up, it wasn't linda topp that left her off the headcount. i forget the name of the family mother but she was kind of young, short hair, newer to the facility.

it wasn't necessarily her fault...headcounts there are more of a formality than an actual record of where everyone is. they are not strictly regulated at all. it is common for a family parent or other staff to just put a general location when they're not sure but THINK they know where they are, etc, karlye's bunkmate thought she had gone with her family rep, and before that the family mom had seen karyle talking to her rep. half the time the family parents don't even do them or the junior staff does. i can recall a number of times where the headcount would come up short and we couldn't figure out where someone was and the family parent would basically disreguard it, assuming they would radio another staff and figure it out, or check at another location as we pass it, etc. there is also not a rule about checking all the stalls before leaving the cabin...it was more the system that was at fault than the family mom. i know she had enough guilt from walking in on her and having to see it. i am not excusing it by any means, and that's not to say that it wasn't terrible and negligent. i completely agree.

i also agree about karlye's mom...she definately didn't help her situation. she was very cold and programy to her, especially since karlye was on level one most of the time, and parents are told to be especially unforgiving and tough until they improve their status. it would be especially tough for her if she gained points and then lost them over something small. she would just get even more frustrated and angry and feel like giving up. she felt very alone in that place, especially after they put her into integrity with girls she didn't know (she had been in destiny for a long time before that).

the whole situation is just heartbreaking. the karlye i know would not have wanted to die. they pushed her to it.
----

\"They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. They should say evil prevails.\"
Lord Of War

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 10:46:12 AM »
While searching the internet for info I came across something that seemed to ridiculous to be true.  It stated that Karlee's parents were not informed of her death for almost a month.  This seems too farfetched to be true.  Is this factual or just some more BS floating around the internet?  Anyone know?  
And are Karlee's parents taking any kind of action against SCL?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »
How was this poor girl referred? By an ed con?  A wwaps parent looking to make a quick buck by "helping other parents"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 12:28:46 PM »
lol, karlyees parents were immediately informed of the incedent with their daughter, whether or not they've taken action has not been made public knowledge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »
The last "guest" posting is definitely some sick, programmed individual, probably a former or present employee of SCL.  Save your support for somewhere else...Karlye's death was tragic and definitely overlooked, covered up by Spring Creek and their untrained, unprofessional staff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 05:50:52 PM »
This site is full of warnings not to put your kid at SCL. It is posted here that it is physically dangerous, psychologically dangerous, and basically not a very bright idea. Parents think we don't know what we are talking about. That we have an agenda... our only agenda is to keep the same thing that happened to us from happening to other kids. This girl who succeeded in killing herself is a drop in the bucket. How many kids kill themselves later in life? How many kids wanted to kill themselves while there but couldn't? What kids do 'kill' themselves inside, shutting off emotionally for the rest of their lives?

These parents don't deserve any money. SCL does not hide what they are. Parents can search the net and be at this site in two clicks of the mouse. Documentaries, news articles, nationwide television programs, what more do parents need? If anything these parents should be charged themselves, for reckless endangerment for placing their daughter there. But who will press the charges, the victim is dead. The parents are not the victim, they are the instigators who caused the whole mess. If it weren't for their foolish decision, their daughter would still be here.

Let's give sympathy where it is due, to the girl who decided she would rather die than live in the prison her parents sent her to on their own volition.

Parents, when will you wake up?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 12:25:24 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
While searching the internet for info I came across something that seemed to ridiculous to be true.  It stated that Karlee's parents were not informed of her death for almost a month.  This seems too farfetched to be true.  Is this factual or just some more BS floating around the internet?  Anyone know?  
And are Karlee's parents taking any kind of action against SCL?

I saw that article. I think it was the independent, but it was about family she had not been in touch with.This BS isn't any more tru than the rest of it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »
From the 2005 Missoula Independent article "Spring Creek's Short Leash" (http://www.missoulanews.com/News/News.asp?no=4970)

"Karlye Newman?s death went largely unnoticed in Montana and elsewhere. No obituary ran in any of her hometown Colorado newspapers. While local newspapers were notified that there had been a suicide at the school, Karlye?s name never appeared in print. The only record of her death is her Montana death certificate, which was filed on her birthday.

Her adoptive father died when she was about four years old, and his family wasn?t told of Karlye?s death until months later when a reporter called to ask about her. "

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »
"Poor Karlye...Her mother used to write her the worst letters."

How do you mean? What kind of letters?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »
I would guess she wrote exactly the kind of letters the Program staff and sales people told her to write. "Your a major looser; we're taking vacations and enjoying ourselves now that we don't have to take you; get to work on your program and maybe someday you'll be fit to rejoin your family."   Something along those lines?

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 01:03:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
This site is full of warnings not to put your kid at SCL. It is posted here that it is physically dangerous, psychologically dangerous, and basically not a very bright idea. Parents think we don't know what we are talking about. That we have an agenda... our only agenda is to keep the same thing that happened to us from happening to other kids. This girl who succeeded in killing herself is a drop in the bucket. How many kids kill themselves later in life? How many kids wanted to kill themselves while there but couldn't? What kids do 'kill' themselves inside, shutting off emotionally for the rest of their lives?

These parents don't deserve any money. SCL does not hide what they are. Parents can search the net and be at this site in two clicks of the mouse. Documentaries, news articles, nationwide television programs, what more do parents need? If anything these parents should be charged themselves, for reckless endangerment for placing their daughter there. But who will press the charges, the victim is dead. The parents are not the victim, they are the instigators who caused the whole mess. If it weren't for their foolish decision, their daughter would still be here.

Let's give sympathy where it is due, to the girl who decided she would rather die than live in the prison her parents sent her to on their own volition.

I agree with this person 100%. There is no excuse for parents anymore. They know exactly what they are putting their children through. The more guilt, and emotional pain they endure the better. Her parents don't deserve one fricken penny from WWASPS for her death. NADA!!!!!
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »
Quote from: ""CCM girl 1989""
Quote from: ""Guest""

I agree with this person 100%. There is no excuse for parents anymore. They know exactly what they are putting their children through. The more guilt, and emotional pain they endure the better. Her parents don't deserve one fricken penny from WWASPS for her death. NADA!!!!!

I agree. Google, simple common sense, and actually following what this country claims to believe in goes a long way to prevent this bullshit.

It really kills me how a educated, influential, western society that's lead the world for so long can decay to the degree that parents are so easily tricked and made to rationalize sending their kids off to gulags!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Who's Watching The Kids?
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 10:43:48 AM »
Karlye's case is explored on the following show playing Tuesday, November 14 2006 on Montana PBS http://www.montanapbs.org/WhosWatchingTheKids
A link to purchase the program is at the bottom of the page:

Who's Watching The Kids?
There are more than 30 privately run schools for troubled youth operating in the state of Montana. They employ more than 600 people and pump an estimated 4 million into the state income taxes. It's an exploding industry, but strangely, most Montanans have no idea the schools even exist. In this hour-long documentary, MontanaPBS explores a lucrative industry praised for its novel approach to reforming youth, yet shrouded in disturbing allegations of abuse and neglect.

First Aired Thursday, September 14, 2006
Airs Tuesday 11/14 at 8pm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:32 PM »