Author Topic: Karlye Newman at SCL  (Read 9290 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« on: December 31, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
Besides what has already been posted or what is in print, what is known about the circumstances around Karlye Newman's death at Spring Creek Lodge Academy in October 2004?
What was her life like at SCL?
Did any board members know her?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »
info:
http://missoulanews.com/News/News.asp?no=4970
http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/tribute1.html
http://www.ficausa.com/deaths.html

Sorry its not much help but all I could find on the subject. Wanted to at least bump this up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
How could this girl hang herself with a sweatshirt in the shower anyway? sure sounds fishy to me. Has this incident been investigated further?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
The shower is really the only time you are unsupervised at SCL. You take a pile of clothes with you to the shower to change into when you get out. It's very plausible, although quite difficult I imagine because showers are limited in time (3-5 mins) and the next person is waiting right outside the curtain waiting for you to finish (it's crowded). She probably wrapped the sweatshirt around her neck and tied the other end around the shower head. She must have really wanted to end her life, because it would take a great deal of effort I would imagine. It's extremely sad.  ::noway::

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
On 2006-01-03 05:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"info:

http://www.ficausa.com/deaths.html

Hey, Kathy moved that site to
http://www.kathymoya.com/FICA/index.html

Please update your links.

Also, anybody know what part of the country Karlye was from?

There is not a "fragment" in all nature, for every relative fragment of one thing is a full harmonious unit in itself.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
Karlye Newman was from Denver

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »
Karlye was missed in the head count when her family was leaving the cabin.  It was said that a couple of the girls covered for her during the head count.  Head counts are done when leaving and entering a building.  The family Mom dropped her girls of in the classroom and went back to the cabin to take a break.  She was the one that went into the bathroom and found Karlye.  She had taken her sweatshirt and tied it around her neck then wrapped the other end over the top of the bathroom stall.  It was NOT in the shower.  If you look at bathroom stalls in public places there is a space between the frame and the door.  She looped her sweatshirt around the metal across the top.  The "upper staff" told everyone that Karlye didn't mean to actually kill herself and that she thought someone would come back in time and find her.  How does anyone know, but Karlye, what she was thinking?  Supposedly this wasn't her first attempt and she had just come off of "High Risk", so she wasn't watched as closely.
Despair or folly?  It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.  We do not.  It is wisdom to recognize neccessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false h

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
Tragic-
has the family taken any legal action in this case?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
People who complete suicide don't mean to "not actually kill" themselves.

This girl had multiple attempts.

People who complete suicide after multiple attempts are, at least when they do it, deeply miserable and want the hell out of their lives.

How do I know?  People like me know more about it than anybody else who's still alive to tell you.

I was suicidal from the time I was five years old until I finally started getting effective treatment at twenty-five.  It's a minor miracle that I'm alive--twenty percent of the people who had the same thing, and the same lack of psychiatric treatment, aren't.

I stress that I was never in a Program and that the Programs do not count as effective psychiatric treatment.  Medical model RTCs that only take the seriously mentally ill, real mental hospitals, or outpatient psychiatric care are what counts as effective psychiatric treatment.

Using the Programs for children with major mental illnesses is like using Lydia Pinkham's for children with cancer.

Julie

Offline emaree

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
Very few people listened to Karlye or gave her any attention aside from restraint and time in the hobbit.

Her parents were not very supportive of her. Imagine being completely depressed, wanting to end your life because the stress the program is causing you is too much to bear along with your prior issues, and your parents refuse to listen to a word of complaining, because that is how the program designs it. no phone calls, just letters here and there. Filtered communication. Family reps whispering into their ears.

And Karyle, having the same routine every day without progress, getting constant drops for dumb consequences. She really did try hard. She was such a good person. I worked her family 3-4 days a week for 13 or 14 hours a day (I was a upper level student, "junior staff"). It was hard to devote all your time to a certain "lower level", but I tried as often as I could to talk to her because she seemed so lonely and angry. Some staff were great, of course, but not enough of them to really make a difference.

At the time of the incident, I was with someone that had a radio, and in the middle of everything. I was one of the first students to find out, and it really rocked those of us that knew her. I felt so sick at the time, so dizzy. Karyle was not even dead when they found her, and she was in there for a fair amount of time alone. I hate the fact that she suffered. She was med flighted out and died on the way.

As I remember it, the family mother and her bunk buddy thought that she had gone with the family rep after group therapy. So she was marked as accounted for on the headcount when they left for the classroom. Shortly after the news of her death, all the upper levels were brought to the court and Cameron Pullan talked to us about what had happened. That night, they sent us to work in the lower level families to help them cope, and then four admin staff went to all the cabins and informed the families, one by one. The following nights Cameron and Chaffin did memorials for her, one for the boys and one for the girls. They were very emotional and moving. But then, Karlye's name and the incident became forbidden discussion. I don't think anyone knew how to cope with it. We were conditioned to forget, and it was so. She was just such a good person. That's all I think about. She didn't deserve to be treated like she was.
----

\"They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. They should say evil prevails.\"
Lord Of War

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Im not trying to rain on your parade here, but I just noticed a few thing WWASPS does a lot that really kills me.... making that knot in my gut from reading about how they pushed this girl to kill herself even tighter.

The following nights Cameron and Chaffin did memorials for her, one for the boys and one for the girls. They were very emotional and moving.

Any excuse to cause regresion, it seems :roll:

But then, Karlye's name and the incident became forbidden discussion. I don't think anyone knew how to cope with it. We were conditioned to forget, and it was so. She was just such a good person. That's all I think about. She didn't deserve to be treated like she was.

Making you go 'forget' and forbidding discussion over that is utterly barbaric. Thats just the icing on the cake... I honestly dont know how any of you were able to survive that.

Program survivors amaze me more and more every day. I just hope that the day will come that we can put an end to all this bullshit and that she did not die in vain.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
I wonder if the Sanders county sheriff looked into this one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Karlye Newman at SCL
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »
This would have been me, if I'd ever got sent to a Program.

Thank goodness my parents weren't that stupid.

That poor little girl.

There's a special level of hell for the bastards that drove her to die.

Julie