Author Topic: what about Thayer?  (Read 6704 times)

Offline emily62

• View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=29938145
what about Thayer?
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:08:00 PM »
I'm Hidden Lake Academy Alumni and when I started posting on this board I noticed a Thayer forum.  A very good friend of mine was at Thayer several years ago and she told me some pretty bad things about the place like they pulled her hair back in a ponytail and chopped it all off.  Mainly just invasive and inappropriate things like such.  I haven't talked to her in over a year and I don't really think she would appreciate me calling to ask about her Thayer experience but my main question is what's so bad about this place?  Sorry about  my ignorance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
Okay, wow.  Thanks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
Damn, how fucking scary is this?

http://isaccorp.org/thayer/thayer-learn ... 07.05.html

Parents in Thayer lawsuit seek protective order
Defendant John Bundy allegedly ?threatened and harassed? them
Steve Rock

Kansas City Star

October 7, 2005

ST. JOSEPH ? The parents of a boy who died at a northwest Missouri military-type home for troubled teens have asked for a protective order against the home?s owners.

Victor and Gracia Reyes alleged in recent court filings that John Bundy, who owns Thayer Learning Center with his wife, Willa Bundy, made an unannounced visit to the Reyes? home in Santa Rosa, Calif., in July and ?threatened and harassed? the Reyeses.

The motion for a protective order, filed last week in Buchanan County Circuit Court, said John Bundy and his son Isaac Bundy encouraged the Reyeses to settle their wrongful-death lawsuit against Thayer.

Roberto Reyes, 15, died in November 2004 while a resident at Thayer, about 50 miles northeast of Kansas City in Kidder, Mo. He had been there less than two weeks, and his death has been attributed to a probable spider bite.

Rhonda Smiley, an attorney for Thayer, said Thursday that she would have no comment until attorneys file a formal response with the court next week. John and Willa Bundy have denied in court records any wrongdoing in conjunction with Roberto?s death, and Thayer officials previously said in a written statement to The Kansas City Star that general allegations of abuse at Thayer were ?ludicrous and false.?

According to the motion, the Bundys indicated they ?would be forced to investigate all family members in an attempt to uncover any embarrassing or personal information which would then be publicized through the litigation? if the lawsuit continued.

The Reyeses alleged in their wrongful-death lawsuit, filed in February, that Roberto was subjected to physical exertion and abuse that caused or contributed to his death. They alleged that Roberto was dragged, hit, ?forced to lay in his own excrement for extended periods? and that he would have lived had he received competent medical care in a timely manner.

In court records, Thayer officials deny those and other allegations.

According to an affidavit signed by Victor Reyes and entered into the court file, John and Isaac Bundy told the Reyeses they were in California on business when they showed up at the Reyeses? home about 7 p.m. on July 27. The Bundys said that they were sorry for what happened to Roberto and that they did not wish to see the Reyeses hurt further. They said that if the lawsuit continued, however, they would seek any information that would cause ?embarrassment, hurt and anguish? to the Reyeses, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said the Bundys indicated that the embarrassment could be avoided if the Reyeses reached a settlement ?outside our lawyers? knowledge? and that the Reyeses ?would be able to keep all the money and not have to give the lawyers any of it.?

No dollar amounts were listed in court records.

?We felt threatened and scared that the Bundys would try to embarrass us and cause our family further hurt,? Victor Reyes wrote in the affidavit.

The Reyeses asked that all defendants in the case ? including their agents and employees ? be required to stay 100 feet from the Reyeses and be ordered to refrain from contacting them by any means. There are seven defendants in the case: Thayer, two affiliated businesses and four employees of Thayer at the time of Roberto?s death.The case is scheduled to go to trial in June.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
what about Thayer?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
Maybe they treat some kids differently than others.

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
-- Muhammad Ali

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
At Thayer, they are racist against Black/Hispanic Cadets.

Offline cadet_cheung

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
well i never really thought they were racist against blacks or hispanics, all the sgts were actually quite nice to the hispanics n blacks but i don't know about the bundies though

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »
^cheung.....werent u there only in 03?  :???:  

Things started changing after u left.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
this was my son's opinion as well.  He said only the whites were treated fairly, the blacks and hispanics were taken down alot (for no apparent reason), smoked alot, denied privileges, etc.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
Again this is not true.  I worked at TLC and Since I spoke spanish I had the chance to get to know the hispanic cadets quite well.  As far as the black cadets all I can say is Dang, they were some of the hardest working cadets I had.

The Bundy's are not racist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
^R U Sgt. Jensen? I know he spoke Spanish...

Offline cadet_cheung

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »
well the sgts there when i was there were never racist at least don't know much about afterwards but most people that left in 03 just kinda disappeared, don't know where any one is. can't find one single person.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 10:48:26 PM »
the sgts werent racist ur sons just bitchin and moaning. i was there recently and the only one who appeared racist was quin atchison wasnt hawkins sure as hell wasnt sperry was fucking awesome he would never b. they werent racist some got it harder than others cause some were retards

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what about Thayer?
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
first of all to call someone a retard when you know nothing about them or their mental status is a racial remark.  you are discriminating against someone based on their physical abiliities.  Look up "racist" in the dictionary and it states "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority.  Now look up the definition of "racial" and it states "prejudice or dscrimination".

Obviously they didn't provide you with an adequate education at Thayer, or you would have known this.

second, did you ever consider the fact that maybe some of the sgts that were there previously are not the same ones you dealt with?  that place has a high turnaround on drill instructors.  and yes, some of the ones in the past were racist.  haven't experienced any of the ones that are there now, so i can't comment regarding them.[/b]