Author Topic: Daughter out of control again ....  (Read 13805 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Daughter out of control again ....
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
On 2005-12-29 14:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"re: truth searcher. First of all i disagree with the last poster in that sometimes I believe one's will must be broken down to a degree, then if done correctly, build it back up so they see a new self and willingness to persue that to make them happy and confident.  I will get bashed on this board, but really, it sounds like your concerned, have done what you had to do, and things aren't going exactly right right now. If your really wanting to know what to do, this board, which is a very minute group of hostile people who never got it, is not the place to contimplate or make decisions.  You should seek other neutral and knowledgable advise.  That being said,  reading your post, this is what I think.  There is definitely recidicism.  Not to blame you, because you do care, but that is again being taken advantage of.  You ARE the responsible adult, and you CAN and WILL make the decisions based upon her living in YOUR house!  She does not yet realize how much you care for her, what you've had to do, and how hard it is on you right now. Second, you and her have a definite communication gap.  You MUST have regular communication sessions,and that is required to live in the house. If she's cutting herself, you'll have to decide if this is an attention thing, or does she need some real psychological help.  You talk to her eye-to-eye where she knows you mean business, then do what you have to do, and tell her that you will because you love her. She will respect that regardless of what she might say immediately.  Lastly, I can fully understand your confusion and grief, and this site will only add to confusion. I'm on here anonymously because i do it for a laugh at the people crying about their "abuse"= had to work, had to look at wall, had to not talk, had to not look. Sorry, not had to, but was "forced" to.  No, everything in life is about choices.  It is spelled out from the beginning what the rules are. In a program, or in real life.   Now, I'll really get bombed for this. But you know what, when my teen was really headed for big trouble, and I had been through all the legal ramafications that went with it, I talked to many people, did my own investigations, and personally took my child to one I was comfortable with.  About a year later, my child is about to graduate, thinks he is 10' tall, loves his family, respects rules, and is very serious about not being around negative influences. I think you have hope to get help for your daughter, but it HAS to begin with you putting your foot down. She WILL participate in your discussions and your decisions, because YOU are the parent. And she can CHOOSE what she wants to do from there. Being 17, if she refuses, she's on her own.  Then she'll be back, to go by your recommendations.  "

The only good thing about the parental dominance mentality youre trying to perpetuate is it makes everyone able of handling it leave and not look back, and the few weaklings that NEED someone to dominate and control their lives for them submit.

"Respect" is something a person has to earn. Authority figures who are just given it as part of their damn job, or someone who thinks what theyve done should make a total stranger just automatically treat them like a celebrity or someone who has earned their personal respect, dont get 'respect'.

Im not against treating everyone civilly, until they demonsrate they dont deserve it, or deserve better, btw. Power-drunk assholes get nothing but attitude becuase I love watching them blow up. Nice, friendly people get it in kind.

Trying to break down a child (which is actually breaking them down mentally and emotionally, aka a psychological regression) and them rebuild them as a programchild who just defers to authority and does as told blindly doesnt work, and its very much arguably abusive anyway.

Nowhere else byt a program is it okay to totally wear a child down and then 'build them back up' (last I checked thats brainwashing...) to make them do as you want.

Now, just incase you try the Military angle, theres a reason they do that shit - they have to make sure that people who are going to go out and fight to the death can mentally handle it, and while theyre at it conditioning them to be able to survive in a regressed state is almost a necessity so they dont become shell shocked and get killed. But, thats not breaking down a CHILD, against their will, just to try to make them a little stepford kid. They know whats going on, choose do, can choose out at any time, and its necessary for them to be able to do what they do.

A Navy SEAL kind of has to be able to weather a psychological attack, and most of the men who try out for it dont make it. WTF makes you think that sort of treatment is what we should just force upon children? And just WTF do you think it does to a kid when they snap out of that bullshit? It hardens a man into a killer... you think a KID can just handle it better?

Regardless, the entire tone of your post and the entire objective of everything you would have the reader do is to totally dominate and control the child, and make the child disclose everything. Its BULLSHIT. Its like Im reading a slave contract for a TPE (thats total power exchange) S&M couple. Yeah, submissive people get off on that, (if they're horny...) but everyone else generally doesnt.

Being an overcontrolling bitch is a good way to make them leave when theyre able to. You making cutting out to either be "an attention thing" (how DARE that child try to want me to recognize them as something other than some recalcitrant minion I should punish and control!) or some SERIOUS PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUE (more coersion and unpleasantness) is ridiculous. Its by and large harmless, maybe you should be asking yourself why your kid doesnt have a healthier way to vent and release?

"Mean Business"... haha. If you did that shit and your kid ran off Id personally go take them out and do EVERYTHING youre afraid of them doing. Why?

1. Im free, white, and 21.

2. The VAST majority of people who imbibe alcohol (which I do rarely now and did rarely BEFORE I was 21...) smoke or take recreational drugs are a-oh-fucking-kay.

3. To spite you.

A family isnt about the oldest bitterest person calling the shots, its supposed to be mutually supportive.

Oh, and program rules and regulations, and the punishments for not doing as told are NOT "real world". Theyre BULLSHIT and the only thing theyre good for is teaching how to survive under a dictatorship.

To the mom who started this thread - Your girl isnt being threatened and coersed anymore, so shes not acting out of fear anymore. Try teaching her to be mature and act responsibly when shes NOT under duress, unless you want to lock her up forever (which is WRONG anyway).

Get her a fucking job. Most people just GROW UP anyway, but jobs help people be more responsible. The state of PA did a study on recidivism rates of teens who went through bootcamp vs just prison vs nothing, and they found no effect.

They did find recidivism was lower in those who had jobs, though. :wink:

I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
--Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
I am assuming that this was directed at me, the anon poster above.  I am AKA The Liger, but am using some else's computer, by the way.

In answer to your questions about my life, I am married with 1.5 children, and I am in my third year of law school.  So, I suppose I contribute good parenting and legal extpertise to society.

So, with all due respect, I think I'm goin' up the right road.

On 2005-12-29 15:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"yes, I'll come back at you.  I've been with my child, recently, in the real world, and is very admirable, respectable, and ready to take it on. What do you do?  What do you contribute to society?  Bash me all you want, but this is what I see your life is all about. Being on stupid forums like this, somehow trying to find your way. Your up the wrong road, and you will see.  "

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
Also, I was sexually abused at the program that I attended.  I also witnessed one of my friends being sexually abused.  I also witnessed several girls being physically abused and emotionally abused.  The people I know are not crying about petty events.  They were severely traumatized and want to stop others from being hurt as well.  Helping others is a good value, but people like you like to portray it as "holding on to bitterness" or something stupid like that.  By the way, YOU sound like the bitter one.

On 2005-12-29 15:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"and now that you've started, what are you doing now?  blaming the world for your actions in the past, or leading a productive one.  Since you know from experience, where did you go?  Were you the rebellious type and still are, and are now sitting on mommas cushy couch bitching on the computer.  I think you know what I want you to do, it's just easier and cushier for you to bitch about your "hard time, and abuse".  Can you not actually get a life by yourself?

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
On 2005-12-29 14:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"re: truth searcher. First of all i disagree with the last poster in that sometimes I believe one's will must be broken down to a degree, then if done correctly, build it back up so they see a new self and willingness to persue that to make them happy and confident.

That!!  That statement right there should make you RUN and run fast away from places and people like this.

If your really wanting to know what to do, this board, which is a very minute group of hostile people who never got it, is not the place to contimplate or make decisions.

Why do you people always insist that we never "got it"?  We get it alright, we've been getting it for a long time now.  I hope the Searcher seeks out advice from all areas and then uses their deductive reasoning and CRITICAL THOUGHT process (something you DO have to give up in order to "get" these places) to make up their mind.

You should seek other neutral and knowledgable advise.

Good, we agree on something.  Hopefully they'll seek it from ALL areas.

She does not yet realize how much you care for her, what you've had to do, and how hard it is on you right now.

Right, she probably doesn't nor should she at this point.  Living life in the real world for a while seems to bring about vision and appreciation though.  Did with mine.  I was wonderful again after years of being called the bitch, out of touch, etc.

Second, you and her have a definite communication gap.  You MUST have regular communication sessions,and that is required to live in the house. If she's cutting herself, you'll have to decide if this is an attention thing, or does she need some real psychological help.  You talk to her eye-to-eye where she knows you mean business, then do what you have to do, and tell her that you will because you love her. She will respect that regardless of what she might say immediately.

Is there a Dr. Frist syndrome going around that I'm not aware of?  How is it that you people seem to be able to give a dx from a post on a web forum?

Lastly, I can fully understand your confusion and grief, and this site will only add to confusion. I'm on here anonymously because i do it for a laugh at the people crying about their "abuse"= had to work, had to look at wall, had to not talk, had to not look.
was starved, was sleep deprived extensively, was beaten, died.....yeah, those are real trivial things.

Searcher I hope you see the kind of mentality you're dealing with here.  The above quote is all to common.  Apparently they think its funny to laugh at others pain.

No, everything in life is about choices.

It should be about choices but that goes out the window the second their put in one of these places.

About a year later, my child is about to graduate, thinks he is 10' tall, loves his family, respects rules, and is very serious about not being around negative influences.

How can you propose to advise this person when you haven't even finished yet and have no idea what the mid or long term outcome will be?  Check around, many of these kids come home as good, compliant kids and the parents are in heaven.  Then reality hits them and more often than not, all shit hits the fan and the kid and parents have no idea what to do.  Of course the parents will say that the kid wasn't trying hard enough or had strayed from the 'group think' mentality and if they had only held onto that they'd be just fine.  Wrong.  It's the group think that fucked 'em up in the first place.

I think you have hope to get help for your daughter, but it HAS to begin with you putting your foot down. She WILL participate in your discussions and your decisions, because YOU are the parent. And she can CHOOSE what she wants to do from there. Being 17, if she refuses, she's on her own.  Then she'll be back, to go by your recommendations.  "

Of course you have to set limits but I sure hope you're not going to be as controlling as this parent.  It'll backfire, always does.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »

On 2005-12-29 15:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

but this is what I see your life is all about. Being on stupid forums like this, somehow trying to find your way...

Well, that's the big problem with the troubled parent industry. More often than not, they see things that just aren't there and then act on them. Honest to God, Truth Seeker, I wouldn't take advice about your daughter from anyone who thinks the above is a logical, well founded statement. And I trust that they do.

The other anon gave some good, general advice about young adults. It was extremely difficult for me to watch my oldest make mistakes. But, without doing more harm than good, there was nothing we could do but keep reminding her we were on her side and hope she'd come around before making any really permanently damaging decisions.

Don't worry about highschool. Ask any college admissions counselor or anyone of accomplishment. It just doesn't matter. If she takes an interest in college at some point, she can knock out the credits and get her certificate w/ very little trouble. If she doesn't, then what's the point?

Given a choice between your typical hs diploma and peace w/ the family, I'd take peace w/ the family any day.

Marijuana clearly has medicinal value.
 Thousands of seriously ill Americans have
 been able to determine that for themselves,
 albeit illegally. Like my own family, these
 individuals did not wish to break the law but
 they had no choice.

--Lyn Nofziger, former deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
1. Is your daughter hooking up with old friends? Could you find a relative at least a few hours away and ask your daughter if she wants a real fresh start?  Maybe she could live with family elsewhere while getting on her feet.

2.  The first thing I'd do is make it clear that you're not going to send her back to the program.  I wish my mom would've listened to the traumatic things that happened to me IN the program.  Maybe if you open a dialogue and begin by reassuring her that you agree the program didn't work and that since her stay you've researched that some teens have difficulty with what happened there and reentering the world, she may begin to see you as a resource in her life.

3.  I wouldn't let her sit around the house and drop out, but maybe she'd prefer other options.  Would you be willing to let her get her GED and then start jr. college or work full-time?  Honestly she can go to college at any time with a GED, it won't hurt her a bit.  

4.  She is almost an adult, and your relationship with her will change drastically.  You suggested that she is promiscuous and may end up pregnant.  I don't have enough info here, but are you upset that she's having sex?  Is she sleeping with multiple people or just within monogomous relationships?  I would suggest meeting her halfway and trying not to pass judgment as she becomes an adult.  As for drugs, does she smoke pot or is she a raging heroin addict?  I would definitely pick my battles.  If you hardly notice her smoking pot occasionally unless you've snooped, then maybe it's not worth fighting over.  My main point is that the tough love, threatening approach the program taught you will only lead to permanent alienation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »
Excellent advice.   :nworthy:  :tup:  :em:

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
I second (or third?) the advice given about high school.  It is not the end of the world if someone does not graduate from high school.  I graduated from high school at a program a year early, and was accepted at a university afterward.  I had to withdraw from all my classes during my first semester due to psychological stress from what happened to me at the facility.  I literally could not handle the real world and had a major breakdown.  Then, a year later, I started at a community college and did well.  I went on to the university afterward.

Anyway, I basically took the same route that someone who got a GED would have to take.  I went to community college, then university.  When I applied to law school, no one cared whether or not I had a high school diploma.

Also, all of my post-high school education (after the breakdown semester) was my own choice and I paid for it myself.  No one had to force me into it.  I don't think any teenager is different.  When you mature a little bit, you realize what I want you to do in life to be where you want to be.  Parents should just trust that.

I think the difference between me and other people is that I am the kind of person who could not learn from what other people told me about life.  I could only learn by my own mistakes and accomplishments.  I think that may be true for a lot of kids who get sent to programs.  They might just have a different path to take.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
Highschool is by and large bullshit. Youre forced to memorize and regurgitate useless information you forget over the summer until you start college anyway, and its mostly about enduring the social/mental bullshit and stress of all the conflicting deadlines, arbitrary or USELESS assignments and all the social bullshit, plus conforming to some stupid new dresscode rule or KNEE JERK THING TO FREAK OUT ABOUT OF THE YEAR.

I dropped out of HS, and the very next day I went to get my GED. Its true! They announced i had to sit in some classroom for 12 hours before I could take it tho, so I aced practice tests and just tutored other people.

I got 99th percentile on it, and Im now in the science major transfer program at Wake Tech. Im BROKE anyway so this is cheaper... :silly:  

I also work on my own cars, built every computer I've owned, myself, starting at 10, and I've networked my own house when I was 15. I also had to basically keep my highschool's computer network, er, working, on my own, including jimmying the lock to the server closet to turn it on because the guy who worked on it intentionally set the BIOS for default power setting to "off" so if the power flickered, we had to wait a week for him to show up and turn it back on :wave:

If you want to get together in any exclusive situation and have people love you, fine- but to hang all this desperate sociology on the idea of The Cloud-Guy who has The Big Book, who knows if you've been bad or good- and CARES about any of it- to hang it all on that, folks, is the chimpanzee part of the brain working.
--Frank Zappa, American musician

[ This Message was edited by: Nihilanthic on 2005-12-30 05:46 ]
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
P.S., so the trolls are happy, Ill leave a few hooks, and maybe let you just get a grasp on my intellect - my IQ is 146 per the stanford-binet scale (I took the Weschler test and got a 143, but its convertable to the stanford-binet scale which seems to be the standard) and basically everything I learend up until college I got from books, TV (discovery chan or PBS, etc) and now, the internet.

Nils  -  Your post was believable until you started to try to justify your position with posting your I.Q. (very strange).  You seem very insecure with your need to always relay this info.  If you simply be yourself and post what you feel to be the truth / your opinion, people will generally believe you.
No one is judged here based on their I.Q. or any other physical attributes.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
I am a natural blond (despite what others believe).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
P.S., so the trolls are happy, Ill leave a few hooks, and maybe let you just get a grasp on my intellect - my IQ is 146 per the stanford-binet scale (I took the Weschler test and got a 143, but its convertable to the stanford-binet scale which seems to be the standard) and basically everything I learend up until college I got from books, TV (discovery chan or PBS, etc) and now, the internet.

Im currently making my own frankensteined car from a 2nd RX-7 chassis and a ford 2.3Turbo powerplant (kind of an obscure powerplant) and Ill be using a "Megasquirt" ECU that Im going to tune myself with a wideband O2 sensor, all by myself. Breaking the mold is a good habit to get into.

I also work on my own cars, built every computer I've owned, myself, starting at 10, and I've networked my own house when I was 15. I also had to basically keep my highschool's computer network, er, working, on my own, including jimmying the lock to the server closet to turn it on because the guy who worked on it intentionally set the BIOS for default power setting to "off" so if the power flickered, we had to wait a week for him to show up and turn it back on .

None of that comes from just going along and doing as told, and learning a bunch of erroneous bullshit. It comes from learning about stuff you have an interest in and following through with it and specializing!

Oh, and guess what else? This experience will dovetail in a career as an engineer

Ummmm...hmm...  ::blushing::  ::troll::  ::troll::

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
On 2005-12-30 07:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

No one is judged here based on their I.Q. or any other physical attributes.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

OMG! That's so compelling! Folks, please understand this. THIS is the exact proprietary process by which these mindfuckers go about diagnosing their customers' children over the phone or by email. That anybody in this day and age is stupid enough to fall for this bullshit is just about beyond me. But then, some things never change. There's one born every minute.

You should be allowed to do whatever you want with your own person and property, as long as you don't physically harm the person or property of a nonconsenting other.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0931580587/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Peter McWilliams - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
I went into one of these programs in the mid 80's at age 16.  Pot and alcohol were the drugs I had used.
 I had not ONE SIP Of any alcohol for the following 10 years, nor did I smoke or do anything else.  At age 26, I had champagne with my fiance. Then didn't drink any alcohol again for 5 years.  I now drink maybe 3 drinks a year.
  My experience in the program was good.  No relapse, no arrest, better grades, a college degree. To each his own.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
'One of these programs' ... if you had a good experience, why not share the program you were in?

Could it be ... YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT... perhaps?