Author Topic: Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen  (Read 42690 times)

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
... they are sent somewhere to take care of their addiction ...

Hmmm... well, they weren't when I was there in the 80s, and from all recent accounts from other folks here, they aren't now, either.

So I would say that the truth is that they are not addressing those issues.  Granted, I'm not there today, so I'm not 100% positive.  But again, if today is anything like it was when I was there, those kids are suffering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
On 2006-06-26 11:34:00, fletch699 wrote:

"
... they are sent somewhere to take care of their addiction ...

Hmmm... well, they weren't when I was there in the 80s, and from all recent accounts from other folks here, they aren't now, either.

So I would say that the truth is that they are not addressing those issues.  Granted, I'm not there today, so I'm not 100% positive.  But again, if today is anything like it was when I was there, those kids are suffering."

I was there in the late 90's and believe me nothing has changed at Hyde nor will it ever change as long as the old guard is still there.  Kids are still suffering!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
On 2006-06-26 07:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"....and Hyde does that.  If the Drug/Alcohol get in the way of character growth, they are sent somewhere to take care of their addiction.  Hyde doesn't handle that themselves.

"

I don't agree. I think Hyde SOMETIMES exports kids who need to take care of their addiction or other psychiatric issue.  But I've met so many Hyde kids with serious addiction or psychiatric issues who managed to fly below that radar and didn't get the help they need.  Rather, they ended up floundering badly at Hyde.  Some of them had major problems complying with Hyde's rules and got into trouble (being put on 2-4 for extended periods of time and much worse); it was so obvious that these kids needed help that Hyde couldn't possibly provide them but they stayed at Hyde anyway.  

That's just another aspect of the Hyde tragedy, that is, all the students who could probably benefit from the right kind of treatment program combined with competent schooling.  I've seen many kids that Hyde couldn't serve properly.  The kids suffered mightily.  What seems so sad is that many parents at Hyde ended up there by default (the parents needed to find a school fast or they were misled by Hyde's public relations materials) and don't seem to know how many good and preferable alternatives there are.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
On 2006-06-26 16:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"....and Hyde does that.  If the Drug/Alcohol get in the way of character growth, they are sent somewhere to take care of their addiction.  Hyde doesn't handle that themselves.

"

I don't agree. I think Hyde SOMETIMES exports kids who need to take care of their addiction or other psychiatric issue.  But I've met so many Hyde kids with serious addiction or psychiatric issues who managed to fly below that radar and didn't get the help they need.  Rather, they ended up floundering badly at Hyde.  Some of them had major problems complying with Hyde's rules and got into trouble (being put on 2-4 for extended periods of time and much worse); it was so obvious that these kids needed help that Hyde couldn't possibly provide them but they stayed at Hyde anyway.  

That's just another aspect of the Hyde tragedy, that is, all the students who could probably benefit from the right kind of treatment program combined with competent schooling.  I've seen many kids that Hyde couldn't serve properly.  The kids suffered mightily.  What seems so sad is that many parents at Hyde ended up there by default (the parents needed to find a school fast or they were misled by Hyde's public relations materials) and don't seem to know how many good and preferable alternatives there are."

wow. you sound like an insider.  what is your job at hyde?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
No one from Hyde is going to identify themselves!  The "Great One", Joe Gauld will put them on 2-4!!!! :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
On 2006-06-28 06:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

That's just another aspect of the Hyde tragedy, that is, all the students who could probably benefit from the right kind of treatment program combined with competent schooling.  I've seen many kids that Hyde couldn't serve properly.  The kids suffered mightily.  What seems so sad is that many parents at Hyde ended up there by default (the parents needed to find a school fast or they were misled by Hyde's public relations materials) and don't seem to know how many good and preferable alternatives there are."

wow. you sound like an insider.  what is your job at hyde?"

I'm not a Hyde employee.  Honest.  We enrolled our child at Hyde, naively I might add, and discovered over time that Hyde has many very serious problems as a school.  We have not been impressed.  We have now met lots of parents who feel the way we do.  All of us have figured out that Hyde accepts so many students who don't belong there.  Perhaps this is due to Hyde's financial pressures.  In any case, it seems clear to us that Hyde is shortchanging many students and their parents.  Moreover, Hyde's staff is not impressive, overall.  I've met many staff who are obviously struggling with their own serious issues.  I'm also concerned about the large number of kids who don't return to Hyde and the high staff turnover rate.  

We decided to leave Hyde and transfer our child to another school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
To another school or another shitpit?

Out of the frying pan...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
On 2006-06-28 18:17:00, Milk Gargling Death Penalty wrote:

"To another school or another shitpit?

Out of the frying pan..."

HLA  love that electro shock!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
On 2006-06-28 18:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

I'm not a Hyde employee.  Honest.  We enrolled our child at Hyde, naively I might add, and discovered over time that Hyde has many very serious problems as a school.  We have not been impressed.  We have now met lots of parents who feel the way we do.  All of us have figured out that Hyde accepts so many students who don't belong there.  Perhaps this is due to Hyde's financial pressures.  In any case, it seems clear to us that Hyde is shortchanging many students and their parents.  Moreover, Hyde's staff is not impressive, overall.  I've met many staff who are obviously struggling with their own serious issues.  I'm also concerned about the large number of kids who don't return to Hyde and the high staff turnover rate.  

We decided to leave Hyde and transfer our child to another school."

I agree with you about the turnover in students as well as staff. It was disappointing to see so much staff leave each year. I do not think this is typical of good, sound boaring schools. Hyde must make a fortune on the tuition that people lose when not completing the year long program. Is there an organization that governs the boarding schools?  Who regulates them?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
who are the staff you were sad to seeleave Hyde over the years?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »
On 2006-06-29 09:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"who are the staff you were sad to seeleave Hyde over the years?"

First of all let me say that there are many Hyde staff who should leave, but don't. In fact most of the ones who have been there for years, (not too many stay)should move on with their lives.  Time to raise the bar for themselves.

I only know the staff at Woodstock although they send staff back and forth between the two campuses. I was very sad to see Tom Lord leave this year. He was probably one of the best teachers Hyde ever had and certainly one of the most qualified. In scratching my head I honestly can't think of anyone else who has left who was that inspirational to me while at Hyde.  Most of the staff are young students who graduated Hyde, and are back because they couldn't figure out what else to do with their lives. They have no business facilitating seminars when they themselves are so screwed up. The other ones who have been there a long time are mostly lost themselves so stay because they are taken care of with housing, food, and a small salary.  As I said, most everyone else leaves as soon as they see what Hyde is all about.

You would have to go to Hyde to understand how messed up of a place they are.  A really sick environment filled with psychologically sick people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »
Tom Lord was a great teacher after Bud Cox, one of the finest the school has ever seen, though he wasn't a Hyde teacher.  Kids got away with a lot of stuff because he didn't teacher character.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
On 2006-06-29 05:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-06-28 18:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

We decided to leave Hyde and transfer our child to another school."

I agree with you about the turnover in students as well as staff. It was disappointing to see so much staff leave each year. I do not think this is typical of good, sound boaring schools. Hyde must make a fortune on the tuition that people lose when not completing the year long program. Is there an organization that governs the boarding schools?  Who regulates them?"

The regional accreditation agency that oversees Hyde is NEASC (the New England Association of Schools and Colleges): http://www.neasc.org/cis/cis.htm.  Last year I heard that NEASC investigated Hyde and required a number of changes.  I'm not sure what has happened since then, but it seems pretty clear that NEASC knows there have been problems at Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
On 2006-06-29 10:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-06-29 09:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"who are the staff you were sad to seeleave Hyde over the years?"

First of all let me say that there are many Hyde staff who should leave, but don't. In fact most of the ones who have been there for years, (not too many stay)should move on with their lives.  Time to raise the bar for themselves.

I only know the staff at Woodstock although they send staff back and forth between the two campuses. I was very sad to see Tom Lord leave this year. He was probably one of the best teachers Hyde ever had and certainly one of the most qualified. In scratching my head I honestly can't think of anyone else who has left who was that inspirational to me while at Hyde.  Most of the staff are young students who graduated Hyde, and are back because they couldn't figure out what else to do with their lives. They have no business facilitating seminars when they themselves are so screwed up. The other ones who have been there a long time are mostly lost themselves so stay because they are taken care of with housing, food, and a small salary.  As I said, most everyone else leaves as soon as they see what Hyde is all about.

You would have to go to Hyde to understand how messed up of a place they are.  A really sick environment filled with psychologically sick people."

Most of the Hyde teachers I met seemed rather pathetic, like they depended on Hyde as a way to avoid feeling lost in life.  There seem to be an awful lot of staff at Hyde who would have difficulty functioning outside of the school.  

I thought some of the teachers I had were downright embarrassing and needy.  A few were good, solid people.  I liked Reuben Levy (Woodstock), for example.

Why did Tom Lord leave?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
I agree that Bud Cox was a great guy.  I don't think that he was a happy camper when he left. Does anyone else know?

From reading these posts it seems as though the reason Mr Lord left is because he did not buy into the Cult.