Author Topic: Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen  (Read 42520 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
Hey Fletch,

I enjoyed reading the unbiased posts of your first couple visits, but they are beginning to scew towards the neg...

It seems like the Fornits Koolaid is starting to take it's toll on you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
Nope... not negative at all.

In fact, I think I'm relatively balanced.  I have learned to take Hyde for what it is/was/will be.  And overall, it's not the place it purports to be.

As a result, it is not the right place for most people.  And because it's not the right place for most people, the people who it COULD be the right place for also lose out and don't get the help they need.

So, until Hyde corrects this problem (and my unfortunate guess is that they can't without significant leadership turmoil), Hyde won't be the right place for anyone.

This doesn't make me negative about Hyde.  Hyde has a desire to be a good place for a certain type of student.  Economics, leadership and other factors have a significant impact on their ability to succesfully meet this desire.  My sincere hope is that they will evetually get there and if the opportunity arose for me to have an positive change effect upon Hyde, I would take it.... because students like what I used to be need a place to get help.

But parents and students need help NOW.  They can't necessarily wait for Hyde to change.  So from a purely pragmatic point of view, they need to find something that is functional and not potentially additionally harmful.  Sorry if that appears negative towards Hyde.  It's really not meant to be.

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
So you are one of the guys Joe gave the boot to. No wonder you are bitter

Nope.  As I said before, I asked my parents not to send me back and since they didn't want to be part of the holistic approach, they agreed.

Joe, in fact, told my parents that they were making a huge mistake in not sending me back to Hyde for the rest of my HS education.

I'm not bitter at all.  I remember my Hyde experience with a combination of happiness AND sadness.  I hated being forced to participate in team sports... but I loved dory building.  I hated 2/4... but I loved help John Braun in the kitchen.  I hated being "schooled" by Joe in a game of tic-tac-toe in my interview... but I loved the encouragement of "brutal honesty."

And to be brutally honest is to state that Hyde isn't what it needs to be to accomplish their goals/promises/etc.

Again, if that appears bitter, then so be it, I suppose.  But I will always remember the fun that I had - the people that I met - and the life lessons that have served me very well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
On 2006-06-19 06:54:00, fletch699 wrote:

"

Nope.  As I said before, I asked my parents not to send me back and since they didn't want to be part of the holistic approach, they agreed.

Joe, in fact, told my parents that they were making a huge mistake in not sending me back to Hyde for the rest of my HS education.

I'm not bitter at all.  I remember my Hyde experience with a combination of happiness AND sadness.  I hated being forced to participate in team sports... but I loved dory building.  I hated 2/4... but I loved help John Braun in the kitchen.  I hated being "schooled" by Joe in a game of tic-tac-toe in my interview... but I loved the encouragement of "brutal honesty."

And to be brutally honest is to state that Hyde isn't what it needs to be to accomplish their goals/promises/etc.

Again, if that appears bitter, then so be it, I suppose.  But I will always remember the fun that I had - the people that I met - and the life lessons that have served me very well."

I saw that dory.  It was very nice.

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
I saw that dory. It was very nice.

Really?  I never saw it completed.  We were working on the hull with Ken Grant... I never knew what happened to it after I left.

I figured they were going to build a fleet of them - anyone else participate in dory building?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
On 2006-06-19 07:21:00, fletch699 wrote:

"

Really?  I never saw it completed.  We were working on the hull with Ken Grant... I never knew what happened to it after I left.

I figured they were going to build a fleet of them - anyone else participate in dory building?"

It was out on display in the SU.  I stopped by on the way to my summer place in Phippsburg,  and saw it there.  I do not know any of the details.  I was a nice piece odf wood working.

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
How long ago was that?  I want to see it... :smile:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
Mid to late eighties

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
Dang.  Probably destroyed by now. :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

"

I figured they were going to build a fleet of them - anyone else participate in dory building?"

Speaking of Ken Grant, there's another loser in the pack! How many jobs has he had in the last 5 years? Do they keep him around because of his wife Claire?  When has any of this family ever grown up and gotten a real job? It is one sick family who all live off of us and our parents who are too naive to see what they got us all into!  The money is much better spent on family counseling at home.  Most people realize this when they have already thrown $50,000 down the drain.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
On 2006-06-20 14:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Speaking of Ken Grant, there's another loser in the pack! How many jobs has he had in the last 5 years? Do they keep him around because of his wife Claire?  When has any of this family ever grown up and gotten a real job? It is one sick family who all live off of us and our parents who are too naive to see what they got us all into!  The money is much better spent on family counseling at home.  Most people realize this when they have already thrown $50,000 down the drain."

Ditto.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

"

Again, if that appears bitter, then so be it, I suppose.  But I will always remember the fun that I had - the people that I met - and the life lessons that have served me very well."

You have said it well: "And to be brutally honest is to state that Hyde isn't what it needs to be to accomplish their goals/promises/etc."  

What I have figured out about Hyde is that it's really good at creating an impression of its commitment to honesty, integrity and character.  But now that I've been around Hyde long enough to dig beneath its surface, it's obvious to me that Hyde is very good at creating a false image and that the school does not consistently live up to its publicity or rhetoric.  Hyde reminds me of a politician that stands in front of an audience and sounds polished, committed, and dedicated, and when the lights and microphone are off he lives a life full of hypocrisy and contradiction (accepting bribes, philandering, cutting deals).  The politician may do some good in the world, but it's overshadowed by his duplicity.  The public image and the hypocritical private life are in the same person.  

I often hear Hyde staff tell students and parents that need to avoid creating false images through their dress, behavior and attitudes.  It's the ultimate irony that Hyde does exactly that; it creates and survives based on a false image of its real self.

Hyde sounds great when the lights and microphone are on.  But when you get a glimpse of who really works there and runs the place, and the way the school operates, you can't help but feel duped.  Hyde is like the politician who needs to be run out of office for misrepresentation and fraud.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
On 2006-06-24 06:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

You have said it well: "And to be brutally honest is to state that Hyde isn't what it needs to be to accomplish their goals/promises/etc."  

What I have figured out about Hyde is that it's really good at creating an impression of its commitment to honesty, integrity and character.  But now that I've been around Hyde long enough to dig beneath its surface, it's obvious to me that Hyde is very good at creating a false image and that the school does not consistently live up to its publicity or rhetoric.  Hyde reminds me of a politician that stands in front of an audience and sounds polished, committed, and dedicated, and when the lights and microphone are off he lives a life full of hypocrisy and contradiction (accepting bribes, philandering, cutting deals).  The politician may do some good in the world, but it's overshadowed by his duplicity.  The public image and the hypocritical private life are in the same person.  

I often hear Hyde staff tell students and parents that need to avoid creating false images through their dress, behavior and attitudes.  It's the ultimate irony that Hyde does exactly that; it creates and survives based on a false image of its real self.

Hyde sounds great when the lights and microphone are on.  But when you get a glimpse of who really works there and runs the place, and the way the school operates, you can't help but feel duped.  Hyde is like the politician who needs to be run out of office for misrepresentation and fraud."

Well said

Offline fletch699

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
You have said it well:

Thank you.  I try.  :smile:

...Hyde reminds me of a politician that stands in front of an audience and sounds polished, committed, and dedicated, and when the lights and microphone are off he lives a life full of hypocrisy and contradiction...

Interesting.  Yes, I think you're probably right.  What's most scary to me, when I have the time to really consider it, is that Hyde believes their own hype.  Which is part of the trouble.

The politician may do some good in the world, but it's overshadowed by his duplicity.

And therein lies my greatest sadness.  Hyde does do good work for those of us that expressly fit the mold that Hyde was designed to affect.  But for those people who didn't come to Hyde already fitting that description, I really wonder what Hyde does to them.

Getting totally hypothetical, I suppose that it's possible that a child with drug/alcohol problems could ALSO have some of the character problems, as it would be argued that without such character problems, they would have the strength to not do drugs/alcohol.  But by the time they've got those dependencies, it is my personal opinion (and I believe this opinion is shared by many clinicians) that you have to "solve" the drug/alcohol problem first... and can then tackle the underlying cause(s)... which is the reason people go to detox first, THEN counseling.

Just my opinion, though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »
....and Hyde does that.  If the Drug/Alcohol get in the way of character growth, they are sent somewhere to take care of their addiction.  Hyde doesn't handle that themselves.