Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Hyde Schools

Hyde School, The Most Truthful Informative Post I have Seen

(1/52) > >>

Anonymous:
I found the below post on another thread.  I feel it is worth repeating because it is so on point!  I do not know how wrote this, but he/she covers the most important problems at Hyde.  This does not mean Hyde does not work for some, but please note, this is pretty much what you get when you attend Hyde................................................................................................

I sincerely appreciated your thoughtful message. Your concern about Hyde students responding on this site with perhaps inflammatory words is probably just age-appropriate, but may also truly reflect their frustration in being so very suppressed 24/7 and living in a fear-oriented atmosphere....this is just my gut reaction. This gives them a venue to vent without being (hopefully) put on 2/4.

I learned of this site recently from parents of a wonderful young man who spent two years at Hyde - He did NOT want to be a senior at Hyde - he was tired of it all, and was extremely frustrated that he was constantly being pulled out of academic classes to act as a "senior Proctor" for the kids on 2/4 when the school could not find enough available seniors.

He is happy with his transtion - but Hyde put his parents through absolute hell and agony when they chose to withdraw him - recommendations and school reports and all that stuff that is required to transfer ANYWHERE were just incredibly difficult to get.........Hyde didn't want to lose this student, but they did.

They also lost my son after just one year - My husband and I were totally "on board" with Hyde and totally committed to availing us of all opportunities...........participated fully and honestly at Family Weekends and FLCs. But it started to become apparent that we, too, were living in an atmosphere of fear and "Big Brother is Watching You" - There were often many HAPA parents strolling around with flat affect on their faces and "snooping" into people's private conversations, etc. - It was just so eery - My husband and I have made some really wonderful friends at Hyde - but our bond has been the genuine laughter we shared when we were allowed "off campus" for a meal during these weekends.

But backing up a bit - our son went to Hyde with our blessing for a few reasons. He is learning disabled, has two genetic brain anomalies which impact his auditory processsing and his word retrieval abilites. He needs the structure of a "shoe box" and NOT the structure of a "football field" - he was adopted at birth and has waded through immense attachment issues.

We thought the Hyde Message was great - (It turns out that the messenger is 180 degrees opposite...)

In our interview, we were told the following:

1. There were many adopted children at Hyde - and they were about to launch special programs for these adopted children with huge issues.

2. We were encouraged to sign our son up to participate in the "LEAD Program" - a nightly special ed study hall/classroom where their individual needs would be addressed - for this, we paid an additional 2/3,000 dollars each semester.

FACT-

Yes, there are many, many adopted children at Hyde - they never started any sort of help program - and when asked, they were dismissive - child's problems had nothing to do with adoption - we should just reach further into ourselves to ascertain that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" - In an FLC seminar, I mentioned that for our son, adopted at birth, the apple fell from a different tree in another orchard.........I got the evil stare from the facilitator - a divorcee and recovered (recovering?? - as are many...) alcoholic - she chewed me out literally after the seminar broke...

LEAD Program - we paid extra thousands of dollars so our son could get the extra academic help that he truly needs. Turns out that the LEAD program has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with helping kids with learning disabilities. It is just a mandatory study hall - staffed by whomever might be available - there was absolutely no help given to individual students - according to our son, whom we have chosen to listen to, most of the time was spent by the "proctor" critiquing, criticising and demeaning the kids.

I spoke to a few of my son's teachers periodically about his progress. Bear in my mind, it can be VERY, VERY difficult to reach a teacher - you might wait DAYS for a return phone call - not always, but often enough.

I was just blown away by one of my son's teachers - who, after several questions from me, finally admitted that her "teaching credentials" included ONLY studying a foreign language in HIGH SCHOOL and then spending a few weeks in Europe!!!! She had no certification at all!!

The other issue which transcends all of the above is the lack of adequate medical staff. I have talked to many, many parents at Hyde. Some of their children have huge medical/psychological issues. And Hyde has a nurse and nursing staff who basically distribute meds.........period!!

When my son was ill last Winter at Hyde, I was phoned to be advised that he would be taken to a local doctor. I asked for his symptons - was told what they were - and then I asked if they had read his medical history - They had NOT - My son had a life-threatening disease when he was 3/5 years old - it impacts ALL medical intervention for him - they couldn't find his records - I ended up driving to Hyde on a minute's notice to take him to their local off-campus doctor - we ended up in the local hospital for further tests - and he was much sicker than Hyde would EVER have known, because THEY DIDN'T READ HIS HISTORY or COULD NOT FIND IT. I was appalled, and this incident started to turn the tide against HYDE for us as a family.

I just thought that if they can't even take care of him medically, how on earth can they take care of his learing issues.

I don't know how many of you know that there is no doctor on the Hyde campus and there are absolutely no medical professionals on campus to help a myriad of kids with a myriad of issues.

But one tragic moment sticks in my mind - and will stick in my mind forever........and should make ANY prospective parent think twice about Hyde and its abilitiy to deal with an emergency....

A father of a Hyde-Woodstock boy collapsed outside the gym last Spring - Hyde had no doctor to help him, Hyde had no defribilator to help, Hyde eventually called a local ambulance. The father died where he fell. Hyde THEN had NO help for the many kids who witnessed this tragedy.....Hyde again had no plan...........

And they seem to have truly NO plan for much of anything, but the constant hype to solicit the almighty $$$$ at every possible gathering.

Shame on Joe Gauld - and shame on his pathetic family followers and other wierd followers.......

I have never been in such a negative atmosphere - smiles and "good stuff" is put down. Truly sad....

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2005-12-17 11:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I found the below post on another thread.  I feel it is worth repeating because it is so on point!  I do not know how wrote this, but he/she covers the most important problems at Hyde.  This does not mean Hyde does not work for some, but please note, this is pretty much what you get when you attend Hyde................................................................................................

I sincerely appreciated your thoughtful message. Your concern about Hyde students responding on this site with perhaps inflammatory words is probably just age-appropriate, but may also truly reflect their frustration in being so very suppressed 24/7 and living in a fear-oriented atmosphere....this is just my gut reaction. This gives them a venue to vent without being (hopefully) put on 2/4.

I learned of this site recently from parents of a wonderful young man who spent two years at Hyde - He did NOT want to be a senior at Hyde - he was tired of it all, and was extremely frustrated that he was constantly being pulled out of academic classes to act as a "senior Proctor" for the kids on 2/4 when the school could not find enough available seniors.

He is happy with his transtion - but Hyde put his parents through absolute hell and agony when they chose to withdraw him - recommendations and school reports and all that stuff that is required to transfer ANYWHERE were just incredibly difficult to get.........Hyde didn't want to lose this student, but they did.

They also lost my son after just one year - My husband and I were totally "on board" with Hyde and totally committed to availing us of all opportunities...........participated fully and honestly at Family Weekends and FLCs. But it started to become apparent that we, too, were living in an atmosphere of fear and "Big Brother is Watching You" - There were often many HAPA parents strolling around with flat affect on their faces and "snooping" into people's private conversations, etc. - It was just so eery - My husband and I have made some really wonderful friends at Hyde - but our bond has been the genuine laughter we shared when we were allowed "off campus" for a meal during these weekends.

But backing up a bit - our son went to Hyde with our blessing for a few reasons. He is learning disabled, has two genetic brain anomalies which impact his auditory processsing and his word retrieval abilites. He needs the structure of a "shoe box" and NOT the structure of a "football field" - he was adopted at birth and has waded through immense attachment issues.

We thought the Hyde Message was great - (It turns out that the messenger is 180 degrees opposite...)

In our interview, we were told the following:

1. There were many adopted children at Hyde - and they were about to launch special programs for these adopted children with huge issues.

2. We were encouraged to sign our son up to participate in the "LEAD Program" - a nightly special ed study hall/classroom where their individual needs would be addressed - for this, we paid an additional 2/3,000 dollars each semester.

FACT-

Yes, there are many, many adopted children at Hyde - they never started any sort of help program - and when asked, they were dismissive - child's problems had nothing to do with adoption - we should just reach further into ourselves to ascertain that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" - In an FLC seminar, I mentioned that for our son, adopted at birth, the apple fell from a different tree in another orchard.........I got the evil stare from the facilitator - a divorcee and recovered (recovering?? - as are many...) alcoholic - she chewed me out literally after the seminar broke...

LEAD Program - we paid extra thousands of dollars so our son could get the extra academic help that he truly needs. Turns out that the LEAD program has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with helping kids with learning disabilities. It is just a mandatory study hall - staffed by whomever might be available - there was absolutely no help given to individual students - according to our son, whom we have chosen to listen to, most of the time was spent by the "proctor" critiquing, criticising and demeaning the kids.

I spoke to a few of my son's teachers periodically about his progress. Bear in my mind, it can be VERY, VERY difficult to reach a teacher - you might wait DAYS for a return phone call - not always, but often enough.

I was just blown away by one of my son's teachers - who, after several questions from me, finally admitted that her "teaching credentials" included ONLY studying a foreign language in HIGH SCHOOL and then spending a few weeks in Europe!!!! She had no certification at all!!

The other issue which transcends all of the above is the lack of adequate medical staff. I have talked to many, many parents at Hyde. Some of their children have huge medical/psychological issues. And Hyde has a nurse and nursing staff who basically distribute meds.........period!!

When my son was ill last Winter at Hyde, I was phoned to be advised that he would be taken to a local doctor. I asked for his symptons - was told what they were - and then I asked if they had read his medical history - They had NOT - My son had a life-threatening disease when he was 3/5 years old - it impacts ALL medical intervention for him - they couldn't find his records - I ended up driving to Hyde on a minute's notice to take him to their local off-campus doctor - we ended up in the local hospital for further tests - and he was much sicker than Hyde would EVER have known, because THEY DIDN'T READ HIS HISTORY or COULD NOT FIND IT. I was appalled, and this incident started to turn the tide against HYDE for us as a family.

I just thought that if they can't even take care of him medically, how on earth can they take care of his learing issues.

I don't know how many of you know that there is no doctor on the Hyde campus and there are absolutely no medical professionals on campus to help a myriad of kids with a myriad of issues.

But one tragic moment sticks in my mind - and will stick in my mind forever........and should make ANY prospective parent think twice about Hyde and its abilitiy to deal with an emergency....

A father of a Hyde-Woodstock boy collapsed outside the gym last Spring - Hyde had no doctor to help him, Hyde had no defribilator to help, Hyde eventually called a local ambulance. The father died where he fell. Hyde THEN had NO help for the many kids who witnessed this tragedy.....Hyde again had no plan...........

And they seem to have truly NO plan for much of anything, but the constant hype to solicit the almighty $$$$ at every possible gathering.

Shame on Joe Gauld - and shame on his pathetic family followers and other wierd followers.......

I have never been in such a negative atmosphere - smiles and "good stuff" is put down. Truly sad....

"

--- End quote ---
I am so sorry you and your family had to go through that to really see the kind of place Hyde is. I also had to go through a horrible ordeal for my family to realize the kind of place Hyde is and how incredibly unsafe it is. I know that for a fact if you have a complaint about anything with them you are completely shot down. All the staff stand behind eachother (especially the lifers). The newcomers don't know any better and they all stood behind me at first, but it was clear that they were intimidated and completely backed off from me. I can honestly say that I would not send my worst enemy there. I wish you and your family the best and hope your son is receiving the help he needs.

Anonymous:
Oh plleeeeaaaase, you people are soooo dramatic.Find someone else to blame, its annoying. Hyde was a good school when I was there, a little tough, but hey what the fuck? We werent exactly angels to get sent there in the first place now, where we...So shut up already, wipe your tears :scared:  :lol:

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2005-12-18 14:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Oh plleeeeaaaase, you people are soooo dramatic.Find someone else to blame, its annoying. Hyde was a good school when I was there, a little tough, but hey what the fuck? We werent exactly angels to get sent there in the first place now, where we...So shut up already, wipe your tears :scared:  :lol: "

--- End quote ---

I am a parent who is interested in Hyde.  If you are a typical example of the kind of graduate who comes out of Hyde (with a cynical, judgmental attitude, etc.) you've done me a great favor.  This is not the kind of environment I want for my child.  I am much more likely to listen to the people on this website who who have described their bad experiences at Hyde in a mature and respectful way.

At this point it's hard for me to imagine sending my child to Hyde.

Anonymous:
Im not the poster who wrote the last post, but I went to Hyde for 2 1/2 years and I had a good time, and made some of the bset relationships I have ever had, and still in contact to this day! I dont agree with ALL of Hydes philosophy's, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a school that is "flawless"...Hyde is nothing but good memories for me.  

Jake 1995-1997
Hyde- Bath, ME

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version