Author Topic: Pathfinders, Inc . and the *sshole Mike Parr  (Read 15537 times)

Offline juliek

• View Profile
Pathfinders, Inc . and the *sshole Mike Parr
« on: December 13, 2005, 05:26:00 AM »
Is there anyone else out there who was sent to and survived Pathfinders Inc., in New Mexico? It was owned and operated by a man named Mike Parr. If you were there, sent your child to it, or have information about it, please let me know. There are several people who are joining together to file a civil suit against Mike Parr and his program (which has been shut down, while operating in Utah; they were busted for not having a business license). Even if you are not interested in joining the civil suit, I would be interested to hear from you. I have some personal questions about my experience there that have been nagging me for 13 years, and I would like to discuss them with someone, to see if their experience was similar.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »
I remember Mike Parr. He used to be a hired goon that parents were told to use to take kids to RMA. All of the "Parr babies" at school despised him. I had no idea he had started his own school.

Offline juliek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »
That's so sick, that's its almost funny. He told my parents that he had been a therapist at RMA, and that he had been fired because they dissaproved of his psychological theories!!! What a bastard. The man who started Pathfinders with him was named Brad... he also claimed that he had been a therapist at RMA. Do you remember him, or hearing about him? He was a really tall, creepy looking guy.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »
On 2005-12-13 03:33:00, juliek wrote:

"That's so sick, that's its almost funny. He told my parents that he had been a therapist at RMA, and that he had been fired because they dissaproved of his psychological theories!!! What a bastard. The man who started Pathfinders with him was named Brad... he also claimed that he had been a therapist at RMA. Do you remember him, or hearing about him? He was a really tall, creepy looking guy."

What was his last name? I knew a Brad Throssel, but that was the only Brad I knew, and that was before RMA  had "therapists". He was simply a staff member, like everyone else. When a friend of mine and I played the "who was a pedophile at RMA?" game years later, his name definitely came up. he was married and had kids, and his daughter had a black lab dog named "She she".

He was tall, though. Did he say when he was there? I was there in the late 80s.

Mike Parr was never a therapist there, as far as I knew. Unless he became one after I left. He certainly was even less therapist material than any of the staff already there. He was the quintessential goon, and looked like a retarded Baby Huey.

Offline juliek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
I don't remember his last name, and it's been driving me crazy. I don't think that it is the Brad that you are describing, because the Brad at Pathfinders had two sons, but no daughters. Without a doubt, though, I can guarantee he was a pedophile (personal experience... I was 13 when I had the joy of meeting him and Mike). In regard to him claiming to be a "therapist" at RMA, I'm sure it was a lie, as it was with Mike. Mike Parr fed my parents such a line of bullshit, and even threatend my father with blackmail/extortion. A girl that was at Pathfinders with me, her father was a State Senator, and Mike Parr tried to blackmail him, too. I was sent to Pathfinders in 1991, and it hadn't been around very long. It was shut down in July, 1996, in Colorado (I made a  mistake with my original post, it wasn't Utah). His theory on "therapy" technique was extremely disturbing, and I'm interested in discussing it with someone else who knew him, and Brad. At RMA, though, you say he wasn't involved with the therapy?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:54:00 AM »
not while I was there. It could have happened after I left, though.

Offline juliek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »
I think he had a son, too. I feel sorry for that kid.

Offline erinmsadler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
let's get in contact juliek. i think i was there the same time you were. -erin from texas. [ This Message was edited by: erinmsadler on 2006-01-04 16:30 ]
rinsadler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Hi Erin, welcome.  Use the Search WWF function on the left hand side of the page.  It may help you.  :smile:

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »
Parr did have a son who he brought into the pathfinder business.  I remember meeting him once.  The other counselors when I was there was Hayes, Mariam, Willie, etc.

They closed a few weeks after I graduated in Colorado....due to a girl named Jennifer and what she told the media.  The media got involved once pathfinders had to take a student to the hospital because of an infection in the finger which was eventually amputated.  The last I heard was that he fled for Peru.  Who knows.  I would love to talk to anyone from pathfinder.  Please email me at [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
Hey, I was in New Mexico with pathfinders in '91. I randomly thought about it tonight and am looking for more info on what has happened to it. Mike Parr is an asshole.

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Hey there,

I am anxiously awaiting a contact from someone that also had experiences at Pathfinders and Mike Parr.  Please email [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »
I was sent on Pathfinders when I was 14 back in 1989. I was kickedd out of the Cascade School and dragged into the wilderness kicking and screaming. I admit that the first few weeks on Pathfinders seemed like a living hell.

But I can share with you that this was by far and away the most significant, wonderful life changing experiece.

I was a shit head little kid who thought I had life figured out. To the day... I remember being on Pathfinders, hiking on a ridge high above the snake river in Hells Canyon, Oregon. I remember just looking around, being in awe of what was before my eyes... mountains....river.. nature... At that moment all my silly teenage problems seemed so insignificant. To have the privelge of such a spiritual experience was humbling.. and a miracle at age 14!

Pathfinders changed my life. I went back to work there when I was in college because I felt so strongly about what it had done for me. I wanted to give this gift to others.

I was there in the Flat Tops Wilderness when everything went down. I spent the rest of that summer hiking 440 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail.

I must admit, the Pathfinders I knew when I was a kid is SO different from what it became at the end. Mike and Jan Parr are kind, wonderful people and sadly the program really strayed from its roots.

Willy, was the lead counselor, when I came to work out there. In my humble opinion he is the one who destroyed the organization. Willy was sadistic and cruel to the kids. Perhaps Mike is to blame for not noticing what was going on in the field.

Personally I only have good things to say about what the program did for me. To this day I find my peace and strength in the wilderness. I owe this to Pathfinders.

Ariel Fox

Offline brookekgray

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Willie was a horrible, mean man and i had nightmares about him for years. I went to Pathfinders in Dec 95-march 96...I remember Amanda as a counselor and Sarah...and Terri??? Hayes and Brad, of course..and Miriam (who i spoke with a few years ago).  It was so long ago but i will never ever forget that place. Im sure i would have straightened my act out without that place. what a nightmare. there were maybe a few good things that i learned there...but i dont know if i really needed that drastic of an experience.
brooke

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Looking for pathfinders people
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:37:45 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone is still checking this forum, but it is the only site that remotely resembles what I'm looking for.  I went to Pathfinders.  We'll leave it at that, but I'm actually looking for someone.  If anyone from the summer of 96' (when all the shit hit the fan) reads this, look me up on Myspace because I would like to get in touch with you.  I have no malicious intentions, just want to see what's up.  I'm the one who hit the fan.