Author Topic: Calls with our parents  (Read 2284 times)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
Calls with our parents
« on: September 06, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »
Betsy, do you remember how often you got to talk to your parents when you first got there?

Was it the same, can't talk for a few months, or maybe once but monitored for the longest?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline BarnardlyB

• View Profile
Calls with our parents
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »
Hey Kat,
yeah I remember. I wasn't able to have a first call till i finished my histories....3 months was the time frame.
Well when I left....the calls were earlier but they were confernce calls and than monitered by the staff.
You're day to call home was when The staff member assigned to you was on duty  or a secondary staff were always there to monitor.
We were than allowed only 15-30 minutes.
ou are you
I am I,
Two individuals dancing on our own two feet, & when were together...its beautiful

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Calls with our parents
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »
i think I had a chat once with my mom, but was wanred not to be manipulative.  More than a few times they insisted I was being manipulative, but I recall often John would insist someone else was being manipulative wiht their parents, as though I was really doing what I was asked to do and asked to acknowledge  to them how truly messed up I was and how much i needed to be there... i was really terrified and sad.  THe sadness went aways thought, but the thought of getting out of there as quickly as humanly possible never did.

Offline waggytail_lickydog

• View Profile
Calls with our parents
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
i attended mms from jan 2004 until june of 2005.  when i was there, i also was not allowed to have a call until i had finished writing my histories, and when i did, it was the conference call for my first history.  so the first time i talked to my parents in about 2 months was my drug and alcohol history call.  it was intense.  we were allowed 2 8-minute calls a week, but half the time we would run out of time, or my therapist would cancel my call because of "bad behavior".  at one point, i did not talk to my parents for 4 and a half months.
-kim
im C.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
Calls with our parents
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
On 2006-02-27 13:28:00, waggytail_lickydog wrote:

"i attended mms from jan 2004 until june of 2005.  when i was there, i also was not allowed to have a call until i had finished writing my histories, and when i did, it was the conference call for my first history.  so the first time i talked to my parents in about 2 months was my drug and alcohol history call.  it was intense.  we were allowed 2 8-minute calls a week, but half the time we would run out of time, or my therapist would cancel my call because of "bad behavior".  at one point, i did not talk to my parents for 4 and a half months.

-kim"

who was your therapist- did they actulaly have  adegree.  It's amazing what passes as therapy, to withold family involvment-  I'm assuming freedom of speech is still a problem- or did you feel it was ok to voice concerns, criticims, opinions or bleifs contradictory to 'the program'?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Calls with our parents
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »
Old school MMS was way more brutal. well, not old school... b ut the crazy years in the middle. We got 1 30 minute call every two weeks- b ut my parents were divorced so I had to split it up. Major suckage. I went 4 months before I got calls and it was 6 months before I got my first parent visit. It was 18 months before I got my first home visit. I missed all my college interviews becuase of that and I swear it's why i didn't get into the school i wanted. I still fight with my parents about this shit 4 yrs later everytime I see them. I live 3000 miles away now, thank god. and every time people talk about high school I have to explain why I was in montana, never had a graduation ceramony, and was in a tiny school with 35 students all female.

sometimes I get so pissed about this shit (usually after seeing my parents for more than 2 days) and need to vent. It's getting more sporadic these days, but after Blair died it's been pretty shitty.