Author Topic: Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx  (Read 25851 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »
Perhaps this was seizure related - the constant head banging could have been seizure related rather than behavior related. Perhaps he was having seizures. I remember a child who always wore a helmet because she would bang her head because she had seizures all of the time as a result of being physically abused as a baby. Since this child probably was abused by his parents a seizure disorder should have been considered rather than a behavior problem.

Who would believe that a democratic government would pursue for eight decades a failed policy that produced tens of millions of victims and trillions of dollars of illicit profits for drug dealers, cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars, increased crime and destroyed inner cities, fostered widespread corruption and violations of human rights - and all with no success in achieving the stated and unattainable objective of a drug free America?

--Milton Friedman,  winner of 1976 Nobel Memorial Prize for economic science

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
I do not dispute that the facility is responsible, financially definitely, criminally perhaps, for the behavior of their employees.

My point is that the employee is *also* responsible.

Putting a tire on a car is qualitatively different from laying forcible hands on another human being, or becoming a truck driver, or a train conductor.

Joint and several liability.  They have joint and several liability and they deserve (IMO) to have joint and several liability.

Julie

Offline MADMOM

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
On 2006-01-08 07:53:00, justamomintx wrote:

"I would be very interested in copies of your information.  I would like to help.
"
justamomintx, thank you for your interest.  I really appreciate it.  Do you live near the Hill Country and how can you help?  I remember you said that your son was there in a summer camp.  Not sure if you would have the same paperwork that we had but my son was there in the RTC for three months.  Did you have any papterwork on restraints and the techniques they uses?  I am really interest in your input on the information that you got.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 12:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I do not dispute that the facility is responsible, financially definitely, criminally perhaps, for the behavior of their employees.

My point is that the employee is *also* responsible.

Putting a tire on a car is qualitatively different from laying forcible hands on another human being, or becoming a truck driver, or a train conductor.

Joint and several liability.  They have joint and several liability and they deserve (IMO) to have joint and several liability.

Julie"

I think we can agree here.  everyone needs to be accountable for their actions and what their intent was.

If the couselor was trying to save this boy from hurting himself or had planned to kill him, this needs to be determined.

If the counselor was trying to kill this boy (premeditated), the program will probably not be held responsible, there is nothing they could have done unless he had a history of violence etc. that the school knew about and ignored.  
  If it is a training issue and the counselor was trying to save the boys life then the program will probably be held responsible.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »
This is very sad about this little boy.  However, I had a relative child at the ranch and he was restrain by the same individual and his airway cut off.  The person that was doing the restraint was a young house parent stating that the child was "faking".  Nothing was done.  And yes the child was also a head banger!  This house parent is large in size as well....  I would not recommend an RTC to any child nor would I recommend CPS. CPS knew of this situation and did nothing....What a shame these children have to go through because of lack of training.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
There is a difference between house parent and counselor.....Have you ever been to Star Ranch and noticed how young these house parents are?  I have!  Overall it is a sad situation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Star Ranch should not be the only ones responsible here.  Think of the CPS Caseworkers who place children there knowing that this place has problems.  Severe Problems.  I have said many times about situations that are going on to a CPS caseworker and her reply is that I would not be satisified no matter where I place this child.  However the problems that I addressed to the caseworker was inappropriate clothing that this child was wearing.  A therapist outside of Star Ranch indicated that this was not a good sign.  The smell of order from the bathroom, you could smell from the minute you open the cabin door.  No wonder the child did not want to shower!  My child was placed there and I fought tooth and nail to get the child back into my custody by hiring a lawyer.  CPS sucks big time!  Why do the taxpayers have to pay for such service....Rick Perry needs to do more!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
I take it that you live in the Hill Country as well.... We were there also..... When was your child there?  CPS actually thinks Star Ranch is a wonderful place... so does Hill Country CASA.  As for Rick Perry.... Have you read the Comptrollers Report called the The Forgotten Child?  It is a wonderful report and it totally exploits CPS and Little Ricky.  Texas does a very poor job with the children in foster care.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
I saw a news clip that had Rand Southard on stating that the "staff member"  had worked there for 7 years and was well trained.  That would make him at least 25.  Most of the employees at Star Ranch are going to school at Schriner.  I would love to know the name of the person that did this.  Anyone know when this is going to the grand jury?  I just wonder if it will be presented by Bruce Curry.  Anyone know the CPS Case workers that were in the last two hearing they had for Mikey?  I would love to have more information....great news story.  We would love to keep this in the media and keep it alive.... we just need leads.........annonymous is great, we understand.... just get something posted out here and I will continue to check this site and look into any leads you throw out.  Thank you

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
Sorry, this post lost

No charges in Garcia death

By Gerard MacCrossan
The Daily Times

Published February 18, 2006

A Star Ranch employee won?t face criminal charges in connection with the December death of 12-year-old Christening ?Mikie? Garcia.

Kerr County Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer said Friday afternoon that the 216th Judicial District Grand Jury no-billed the 28-year-old man, who restrained Garcia in a ?basket hold? before the boy lost consciousness and later died. The counselor no longer works at Star Ranch, a spokesman said.

In Garcia?s autopsy, Travis County Medical Examiner Roberto Boyardo ruled the 12-year-old?s death was cause by suffocation as a result of physical restraint. Garcia had been a resident at Star Ranch since August, where he was placed by the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services.

The 12-year-old had been a ward of the state since January 2000 when he and three siblings were removed from their Kerrville family home. Parental rights were severed by the courts in 2004.

A Star Ranch spokesman said Friday that the ranch?s leadership is grateful for the way in which Kerr County Sheriff?s Department conducted the investigation and for the decision reached by the grand jury.
[ :tup: Don't ya know it!]

?We are grateful for the prayers,? the spokesman said. ?A lot of people have been very concerned for Star Ranch.?

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2006-02-20 06:17 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline MADMOM

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
:???: This makes me sick.  I know Cedrick Humphrey.  He was a Residential Coordinator at the Ranch.  This is truely a sickening story.  I can't believe it.  Whats worse is that there is nothing that anyone can do.  I am going to get a copy of the investigation and I will report back with what it says.  Keep checking this site for information.  I am truely concerned about how something like this could happen and they just let him and the Ranch walk away with no charges.

Offline Eyes on M.E.

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
Having read the postings since Mikie's death and knowing the Travis Co. Medical Examiners Office I think people in Kerr Co. should know the "Truth".

Mikie's body arrived at the Travis Co. ME's office at 7:45 a.m., the autopsy was began at 9:10 a.m. and his body left the morgue at 10:45 a.m.  

The Chief ME Bayardo performed the autopsy, had the autopsy report (3 pages) typed, signed, mail and billed by 5:00 p.m. the same day. All this was done before the Toxicology Samples were even delivered for testing.

Now if this were not enough, Bayardo signed and delivered to JP Ragsdale two different cause of death findings both signed and dated 12-5-05. One said Mikie died of "Cardiac Arrythmia" following physical restrain, the second said Mikie died of "Suffocation during physical restrain. Neither of these death findings is an amendment to the other. Both are signed as a final finding.

JP Ragsdale chose only to release the suffocation findings to the press, but this is not to say your local newspapers were unaware of this fact. I emailed both papers the autopsy report and related documents prior to the end of December 05.

In the suffocation finding JP Ragsdale released to the press, the conclusion is contradicted by other  findings in the autopsy report. In suffocation the brain is injured by lack of oxygen. If Mikie had a pulse and did not officially died until 2 hours later, then he should have had swelling of the brain. The autopsy report does not note any.

When the Toxicology Report came back two weeks after the autopsy reports final finding it showed Mikie was on two different anti-depressants and a drug prescribed for schizophrenia, which I am unaware he was ever diagnosised with. The levels of the schizoprenia drug in Mikie's system is described as "High Therapeutic Levels" in the Toxicology Report. This drug (Quetiapine) has numerous serious side effects including Cardiac Arrythmia.

In the Investigators Report it notes medical staff at Sid Pederson said it "Felt as if the decedents throat was flat". This could not be the case if Mikie was restrained in a "basket hold" as reported by staff at the Star Ranch.

The above are just some of the facts that have been with held from the public about what really happened to Mikie. I suggest the readers of the local papers demand the truth be published so they can make an informed decision on who they want to vote for in the comming elections.

Remember, You need the truth to correct a problem.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
On MAY 12, CPS removed all of their children from Star due to a near drowning.  The contract has been canceled from what I heard.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
http://web.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?e ... 11df8e4bdb
Boy nearly drowns in local creek

By Gerard MacCrossan
The Daily Times  

Published May 9, 2006

A 12-year-old San Antonio boy was in critical condition Monday after being swept away Saturday in Johnson Creek. The boy was in a group of four Star Ranch residents on a bike ride with a houseparent when the accident occurred, said spokesman Dave Vinyard.

Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer said Monday that the boy, who has not been named, was wading in the creek. Star Ranch employee Lisa Marie Mariana went into the creek after him as he was swept away by water moving downstream toward the Bluff Trail Road low- water crossing.

The current also carried Mariana downstream against the bridge, where she was pulled out by Donald Ehlers, who lives upstream from the property.

Ehlers said the boys were playing and riding their bikes through a shallow-water crossing for about 20 minutes before the accident occurred.

?It was a two-inch rain, and the water came up after the rain,? he said. ?I don?t know why they let those kids down there.?

According to Ehlers, the creek flows through culverts under the low-water crossing. He said he heard the kids screaming and ran out of the house toward them, while dialing 911 on a portable phone.

He pulled Mariana out of the culvert where she was stuck. He said she was very disoriented. The boy was found about 600 yards downstream, Ehlers said.

Hierholzer said the boy was in the water for more than 10 minutes before rescuers pulled him out. He was taken first to Sid Peterson Memorial Hospital, then was transported to Methodist Children?s Hospital in San Antonio.

Vinyard said he doesn?t believe there was any misconduct by the houseparent.

?I think it was purely an accident,? he said.

Hierholzer urged area residents to take particular care around rivers and creeks in the area.

?The recent rains have made the rivers and creeks in the area very dangerous places to swim or wade, especially near bridges or other places where undercurrents exist,? he said. ?While they give a calm appearance, there can be very dangerous undercurrents, and we are urging everyone to use extreme caution if they intend to spend time in natural bodies of water.?

The incident is being investigated by the sheriff?s office in conjunction with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

The incident is the latest in a series of difficult situations faced by Star Ranch, which provides residential treatment for learning disabled and abused boys. In December, a 12-year-old died after being placed in a restraining hold by an employee. A grand jury cleared the employee of criminal wrongdoing.

Another boy required hospital treatment recently after being stabbed by another resident. The injured boy?s family did not press charges, law enforcement officials said.

http://web.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?e ... bdc408be42
State pulls 19 from Star Ranch
By Gerard MacCrossan
The Daily Times  
Published May 13, 2006

Star Ranch had only three children left in care Friday evening following the state?s decision to cancel its contract with the West Kerr residential treatment facility.

Star Ranch spokesman Dave Vinyard said 19 children, placed by Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, were taken away Friday morning.

In a letter to Executive Director Rand Southard dated Friday, DFPS cited the death of Christening Garcia last December when he was restrained by a staff member and the near drowning last Saturday of another boy as cause for canceling the contract. The youth involved in the drowning incident, who has not been identified, remains in critical condition at Methodist Children?s Hospital in San Antonio, Vinyard said.

?It?s a very traumatic day for Star Ranch,? Vinyard said. ?Emotionally, it?s a rough place. Those boys didn?t want to leave. Some had been there for years. It was their home and family.?

Star Ranch was founded in 1989 as a summer camp by Rand and Colleen Southard to help children with emotional challenges and learning disabilities. The facility grew to incorporate a year-round residential treatment center, child placement agency and charter school.

?The decision is based on the frequency of serious incidents occurring at Star Ranch RTC and the failure of Star Ranch to maintain the safety of the DFPS children in care,? the letter stated.

DFPS spokesman Patrick Crimmins said Friday that Star Ranch had been under increased scrutiny by the state agency following Garcia?s death.

?We haven?t placed any new children there since the death,? he said. ?We did step up monitoring and were watching them closely and keeping in frequent contact with them.?

But it was the accident last week that triggered the decision to end the state contract.

I think it was the incident that convinced us there seemed to be a pattern of inadequate supervision,? Crimmins said. New placements had been found for all 19 boys by late Friday, he added.

Southard met with DFPS officials Friday when they came to remove the boys.

?Of course DFPS has the right to do this,? Southard said in a written statement. ?We disagree with the decision, and the agency acknowledges that these incidents are unrelated. We just wish we had more opportunity to prepare the boys for another traumatic incident in their lives.?

Vinyard said Star Ranch staff members remain committed to the work in which they are engaged. Rand Southard and the management staff have plans to implement residential home and school facilities for privately placed boys. Those plans are on-going, he said.

According to Crimmins, Star Ranch?s state license to operate a residential treatment center remains in place, but it still is under investigation by the licensing authority. The summer camp is regulated separately by the Texas Department of State Health Services, he said.

Gerard MacCrossan may be reached at gerard.maccrossan(at)dailytimes.com.  

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/14570828.htm
Earlier this month, a 12-year-old Star Ranch resident almost drowned during a bicycle trip along the Guadalupe River. The boy, who wasn't identified, remains hospitalized.

A grand jury found no criminal conduct in Mikie's death and the state placed the facility on probation.

State officials say a follow-up investigation found the ranch didn't comply with rules regarding use of restraints that impair breathing. Records also show the ranch wasn't meeting requirements on training and supervision for staff, said Patrick Crimmins, Family and Protective Services spokesman.

Although the state relocated 19 boys from the ranch, the facility still has three private clients, said Star Ranch spokesman Dave Vineyard.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/ ... d803f.html
Ranch officials say he was placed in "a basket hold" ? held from behind by his hands with his arms crossing his chest ? to stop him from banging his head on the ground.

A grand jury heard evidence in February and found no criminal conduct, officials said.

Crimmins provided records that indicate the agency's follow-up investigation found the ranch was out of compliance with state rules on adherence to written intervention policies, on maintaining adequate staff supervision and training and on using restraints that impair breathing, among others.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4899569&nav=1TjD
Ranch officials say the boy was in a basket hold to stop him from banging his head on the ground. They called the death a "terrible accident."
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
What would anyone like to know?  I was a high up at Star Ranch and with Star Programs.  I know most involved and have first hand knowledge of The Southards.  I have not worked for them in 9 years but still know them personally.  Most of what I have read on these postings is false.  Most of you truly do not know what you are talking about when you speak to the character of the founders of Star Ranch.  I know it is up setting to hear of a child being killed due to a restraint or at the hands of someone paid to care for the child.  Without a doubt it is a tragedy but you speak as though he did it with the intent to kill him.  I do understand your feelings as I have also seen the stories on Dateline and other news shows about children being killed in RTC's.  This one is just different for me because I know the heart and soul behind the Southards.  You won?t find a couple more loving and caring, without a doubt.  Most of you have never and will never fully comprehend the extent of abuse these children have been subjected to at the hands of their own parents or family members.  Most of the children at Star Ranch will never function normally in society as a result of the atrocious abuse they endured.  In many circumstances CPS had investigated the child?s home numerous times and continued to leave the child in the home to endure more abuse.  I have read a file where the State of Texas investigated 17 times from the time the child was a young infant and did not remove him until he was 7.  Now he is a destroyed child, never to function in society.  Hiring staff to adequately care for these children is a challenge.  But I knew the staffer involved in the restraint and he was a great employee.  Not an aggressive person at all, not a monster.  The State admittedly pays the RTC only 80% of what it financially takes to care for that child, so the RTC is left to seek donations for the remainder or find people to work for less money.  Are you willing to work with children who are very aggressive, act out on a by minute basis, get spit on, have your personal items destroyed, get cursed out for low wages???  I think all who bash the RTC should go get a job at one and see how cut and dry you think it will be then.