Author Topic: Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx  (Read 26389 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »
On 2005-12-22 21:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-22 20:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

We need to monitor the decisions of our elected officals and put them on the next bus out of town if they are not protecting us."

In theory that sounds great but its rapidly becoming apparent to more and more of this country that money/dogma/politics speak long and loud in this country."

So true, always had and always will, that why we need to go to the voting booth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
Oh yes, voting is where we should be putting our attention. Can you educate us on which candidate DOES NOT SUPPORT THE DRUGGING AND WAREHOUSING of foster kids? This issue goes far beyond local politics.

Here?s a little gas for the fire?..
Things are out of control in Tx in terms of foster kids being over-drugged and placed in RTCs or wilderness programs. A recent report revealed that a foster child was 5 TIMES more likely to be killed or injured in out of home placements.

So, why keep up the illusion? If the state and the programs they use, can not provide this population of kids needs, then perhaps they need to admit that and get out of the business of ?protecting? kids.

Here's a list of TV news clips that reveal how TMAP (Bush/Pharmaco's baby) was hatched in Texas. How much $$$ the drug companies gave the MH Dept in Tx to create TMAP, which would require providers to use their expensive drugs. (Like $8/pill vs .08/pill

*Just a mom- you, I, Madmom, and other Texans are paying for these drugs and RTCs for foster kids, and neither are providing their needs.  Neither is capable. This young man alone, was on 5, and still no 'relief'. What's wrong with that picture? The level of ignorance amongst so-called 'helpers' astounds me beyond belief.

Kids in foster care (low income & kids of color) were the guinea pigs for TMAP. Some of their painful stories are included in the links. Texas taxpayers paid out $245 Million in 2004 for psych drugs for this group. Some kids on as many as 14- some that were not approved for use in children, some rx'd off-label.
Best to watch the investigative reports in the proper order.

http://keyetv.com/investigativevideo/

5/5/04- Failing Texas Foster Children
7/23/04- Psychiatric Drugs
9/30/04- Drugs and Your Tax Dollars
11/4/04- Medicaid Fraud
11/17/04- Texas, Children and Drugs
11/24/04- Children and Antidepressants
3/1/05- Money, Influence and Mental Health

The last really exposes the fraud perpetrated by state MH Dept employees and drug companies. The spokesperson for the Dept would not go on camera, but sent a letter which contained a blatant lie which the reporter uncovers. How can this continue? Darn, I guess we just don't have the right elected officials.

Other informative links on the issue of Tx foster kids being placed in squalid programs.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... um=9#69923
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... =9&start=0
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#59000
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... um=9#57566

The issue of over drugging these kids was addressed in a legislative hearing, in which a shrink who provides ?care? for this population of kids testified that multiple drugs were justified because foster kids came from a ?bad gene pool?.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/fx/av/comm ... 004a51.ram

You can hear Burkett's testimony re: the bad gene pool comment by advancing to hour 6:22. His resignation was called for.
Truth: they can't love and nurture these kids, so the drug and warehouse them, out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

One thing that is clear to those of us who have been following these issue for many years is that these kids needs are not being met. They could start by paying the most responsible parent or relative what they are paying the drug companies and RTCs. Kids desire and need to be with people who genuinely care about them. Drugs and RTCs cure nothing. They have, too often, killed.

In terms of justice. I won?t hold my breath. Are you familiar with the restraint death of Chase Moody? Brown Schools didn?t like the Med Ex autopsy report and hired Bexar County Chief Medical Examiner Vincent DiMaio to concoct a different cause of death--  ?excited delirium?. In other words, he was responsible for his own death.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... art=0#5473
And he was private pay, his father was an attorney, and had actually defended Brown against a restraint death in the past. The irony was uncanny.

You think they?re really going to ?investigate? this little guy?s death and bring justice for him. We can only hope. Historically speaking, you shouldn?t hold your breath either.

Are you remotely aware of how many restraint deaths ocur every year in RTCs- state and private? Read the Hartford Courant?s five-part expose "Deadly Restraint". And when you're done... thank CCHR. No other government agency or private organization has cared the least bit to track this information. Why? Will voting take care of that too. Why hasn't anyone else been interested or concerned? In the meantime, kids are dying unnecessarily.

We'll never know what actually happened that day, but based on historic events, I suspect the kid was provoked to distress, amplified by the drugs, and his punishment for refusing to shower was death by restraint. I have to second what Atomic Ant said- you know when a kid is not breathing. If you don't, you have no business caring for them, and certainly not using restraints.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2005, 04:48:00 AM »
Justamom,
There are no ?proven psych drug treatments? for children. I don?t know what you?re reading but you have been misinformed.

Second, are you aware of the ?black box? warning required for SSRIs? And the FDAs complacency in holding drug companies to ethical practices, namely releasing fraudulent research? Or that placebo works better than drugs for this age group?

You aren?t going to hear the actual ?facts? unless the responsible party happens to be a person of the highest integrity and gives an honest account. You will hear his/her rendition only, because Mikey is not here to tell his.

Chemical and physical restraints never have and never will ?heal? a broken heart.

"Acting out" due to abuse and a broken heart are not 'mental illnesses'. They don't require 'treatment'. Only love.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
A partial list of boot camp victims

Some of them died after placed in a »full basket restraint«, lasting up to an hour and a half.

Michelle Sutton, dead at age 15, Summit Quest
Kristen Chase, dead at age 16, Challenger
Paul Choy, dead at age 16, Rite of Passage
Aaron Bacon, dead at age 16, Northstar
Dawnne Takeuchi, dead at age 18, VisionQuest
Lorenzo Johnson, dead at age 17, Arizona Boys Ranch
Carlos Ruiz, dead at age 13, VisionQuest
Mario Cano, dead at age 16, VisionQuest
John Vincent Garrison, dead at age 18, VisionQuest
Bernard Reefer, dead, VisionQuest
Robert Zimmerman, dead, VisionQuest
Charles Lucas, dead, VisionQuest
James Lamb, dead, VisionQuest
Tammy Edmiston, dead, VisionQuest
Leon Anger, dead, VisionQuest
Charles Collins, Jr., dead at age 15, Crossroads for Youth
Jamie Young, dead at age 13, Ramsey Canyon
John Avila, dead, Rocky Mountain Academy
Danny Lewis, dead at age 16, VisionQues
Nicholas Contreras, dead at age 16, Arizona Boys Ranch
Edith Campos, dead at age 15, Desert Hills
Matt Toppi, dead at age 17, Robert Land Academy
Chirs Brown, dead at age 16, Robert Land Academy
Eric David Schibley, dead at age 17, VisionQuest
Chad Andrew Frenza, dead at age 16, Polk County Boot Camp
Robert Doyle Erwin, dead at age 15, VisionQuest
Lyle Foodroy, dead, VisionQuest
Gina Score, dead at age 14, State Training School (South Dakota)
Bryan Dale Alexander, dead at age 18, Texas Correctional Services
Michael Wiltsie, dead at age 12, Eckert Youth Alternatives
Tristan Sovern, dead at age 16, Charter Behavioral Health System
Robert Rollins, dead at age 12, Devereaux School
Andrew McClain, dead at age 11, Elmcrest Psychiatric Hospital
Anthony Haynes, dead at age 14, American Buffalo Soldiers Boot Camp
Ian August, dead at age 14, Skyline Journey
Charles »Chase« Moody, dead at age 17, The Brown School (CEDU affiliated)
Roberto Reyes, dead at age 15, Thayer Learning Center Boot Camp
Travis Parker, dead at age13, Appalachian Wilderness Camp

...and counting.

Do a search on "basket restraint" and you'll quickly see it is not an approved restraint for child care workers and that it kills kids over and over and over again.  Seriously, just google "basket restraint" and you'll see why it should be renamed "CASKET RESTRAINT."

Fucking sick child killers.  "Act right or I'll restrain (kill) you."  Scumbags.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline justamomintx

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Good morning.  First, Deborah, thank you for all the informative links.  I will be looking at and listening to them.  
The reason I've even found this site and posted here is because I was looking for more information.  I don't have all or even any of the answers.  I need to learn more.
That said, I will explain that my son had serious issues and that is why he was at Star Ranch last year.  We sent him and he had a good experience; that would not have happened at a regular summer camp.  They just wouldn't have been able to deal with his behavior.
No, I don't have experience with CPS, or out of home placement, or dealing with law enforcement regarding the housing of my child.  So I can't address any issues about that, and your links and information will help me understand that better.  We've had to make our own decisions regarding medication, and have made those based on the best information we could find, and based on what was in our son's best interest.
I had trouble sleeping as well last night, thinking of this entire issue, and wanting to remain open minded.  But I will admit to waking up a little cynical and jaded, and feeling a little less confident in my fellow man as regards how we care for our most needy.
I hope to learn more about this, and hopefully do something (however small) about it.
Merry Christmas everybody.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
Good morning, you must feel better after releasing all that info.  Deborah, I am not disagreeing with you, I just approach it a little different than you, I havent taken on the drug companies, or the foster care system, welfare system or had time to change our system of voting or have researched every type of RTC.  I am sure all that has happened as you say and much,much more.  I have found that if you try to take on too much you get nothing done (just my personal experience) and you have taken on quite a bit.

We'll never know what actually happened that day, but based on historic events, I suspect the kid was provoked to distress, amplified by the drugs, and his punishment for refusing to shower was death by restraint. I have to second what Atomic Ant said- you know when a kid is not breathing. If you don't, you have no business caring for them, and certainly not using restraints

Seems like everyone wants to just jump in and start hanging people, some people have already made their stand and it wont matter what the results of the investigation are (unless it agrees with their prejudged preclusion).  You mention one possible senerio and if that is true the punishment should follow, but I am not that type of person, I just cant help it, I need to hear from the people who witnessed the action and medical opinions etc.  I dont have knowledge in forensics, basket holds, medicine interactions etc.  I have never killed anyone so I wouldnt know what it feels like when someone stops breathing, especially if they are still kicking and fighting back etc.  Very few people do have all those experiences, so we have to depend on each persons report and then a joint conclusion will follow.  I dont see any other way.  We need to put our own personal grevences and baggage aside and start doing something for the kids out there, like listening to what happened and push for changes so it doesnt happen again.

I do see your frustration, though, deborah.  I have been there.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
On 2005-12-23 05:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"A partial list of boot camp victims

Some of them died after placed in a »full basket restraint«, lasting up to an hour and a half.

Michelle Sutton, dead at age 15, Summit Quest

Kristen Chase, dead at age 16, Challenger

Paul Choy, dead at age 16, Rite of Passage

Aaron Bacon, dead at age 16, Northstar

Dawnne Takeuchi, dead at age 18, VisionQuest

Lorenzo Johnson, dead at age 17, Arizona Boys Ranch

Carlos Ruiz, dead at age 13, VisionQuest

Mario Cano, dead at age 16, VisionQuest

John Vincent Garrison, dead at age 18, VisionQuest

Bernard Reefer, dead, VisionQuest

Robert Zimmerman, dead, VisionQuest

Charles Lucas, dead, VisionQuest

James Lamb, dead, VisionQuest

Tammy Edmiston, dead, VisionQuest

Leon Anger, dead, VisionQuest

Charles Collins, Jr., dead at age 15, Crossroads for Youth

Jamie Young, dead at age 13, Ramsey Canyon

John Avila, dead, Rocky Mountain Academy

Danny Lewis, dead at age 16, VisionQues

Nicholas Contreras, dead at age 16, Arizona Boys Ranch

Edith Campos, dead at age 15, Desert Hills

Matt Toppi, dead at age 17, Robert Land Academy

Chirs Brown, dead at age 16, Robert Land Academy

Eric David Schibley, dead at age 17, VisionQuest

Chad Andrew Frenza, dead at age 16, Polk County Boot Camp

Robert Doyle Erwin, dead at age 15, VisionQuest

Lyle Foodroy, dead, VisionQuest

Gina Score, dead at age 14, State Training School (South Dakota)

Bryan Dale Alexander, dead at age 18, Texas Correctional Services

Michael Wiltsie, dead at age 12, Eckert Youth Alternatives

Tristan Sovern, dead at age 16, Charter Behavioral Health System

Robert Rollins, dead at age 12, Devereaux School

Andrew McClain, dead at age 11, Elmcrest Psychiatric Hospital

Anthony Haynes, dead at age 14, American Buffalo Soldiers Boot Camp

Ian August, dead at age 14, Skyline Journey

Charles »Chase« Moody, dead at age 17, The Brown School (CEDU affiliated)

Roberto Reyes, dead at age 15, Thayer Learning Center Boot Camp

Travis Parker, dead at age13, Appalachian Wilderness Camp

...and counting.

Do a search on "basket restraint" and you'll quickly see it is not an approved restraint for child care workers and that it kills kids over and over and over again.  Seriously, just google "basket restraint" and you'll see why it should be renamed "CASKET RESTRAINT."

Fucking sick child killers.  "Act right or I'll restrain (kill) you."  Scumbags.

"
I did a search and it seems to be acceptable in some states but it does have a high risk of injury.  What other methods are approved if a child is harming themselves?  This must be looked at, before one method is terminated.
It is not apparent how many on your list were killed by restraint, is that info available?  It would be helpful in making a case against restraints.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm speculating based on historical events, just as you've speculated that I 'must feel better after releasing all that info' and that I may have taken on too much and get nothing done.  

It's like guessing the end of a movie when you've seen the same plot over and over.

Now if I were the one responsible for deciding the outcome, might be a different story.
My speculations/imaginings do not interfere with you waiting for the results of the investigation. By all means please do that.
Do I believe that the investigators and program owners are free of any speculation themselves?
No.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »
If you read all of the news articles and believe them then everything that could have been done for this poor child was done...his parents messed him up so bad that there was little that could have been done for him at this point.  That is the criminal act - not the restraint.

What exactly was the counsler supposed to do when the kid started banging his head on the ground?

Pour a cup a tea and chat about his future plans...

What I don't understand is why was this child not in a hospital with as troubled as he was and being on the drug coctail that he was on --

My son also took risperdal and depkote for mis diagnoised Manic Depression -- he also was on ritilan and adderal for years -- at the time I thought the drugs were a god send -- I was wrong.

We never got to the root of his issues and to the part that I played in them... after all these years it took a good Wilderness Program Counsler to spot that something organically was going on with my son.

We arranged the appropriate battery of intellectual and phyc tests and low and behold found he had a very serious processing problem that stunted his ability to learn to decode language and made school a hellish place to be.

He has no Phonics skills -- imagine being in 2nd grade with no phonics skills -- you are everything from lazy to stupid to defiant -- then you start getting kicked out of class since the principles office is better than being humiliated in the class.

Better yet you start doing things to get you suspended -- then you don't have to be there at all... etc...etc...etc...

He was not Bi-Polar and while he does have ADHD he is currently on zero medication and is learning to deal with his issues in a RTC in New Mexico based on the PPC Model.

I worry so much about Foster care in this nation and the kids out there who don't have anyone looking after them and have been subjected to system and system that let them down...

The counsler was doing his job.  Adrelinine was pumping though both of them and I'm sure the counsler was terrified as well...

This is just a damn shame no matter how you look at it...

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
Now if I were the one responsible for deciding the outcome, might be a different story.

Yes, I agree I wouldnt be sitting back and waiting.  I would be driving for as much info as possible from as many experts as possible.  I wish I had some say, its frustrating for me to be on the sidelines.  

Like you I wish I had some say or control.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
I would never even take this kinda of chance with my childs life. I will never understand why some parents think this could not, is not, will not be a possibility for their child, no matter which facility they choose.
We teach our children from the time they are born, "don't talk to strangers." Yet some parents just send their kid/s off to the hands of strangers, in the name of love. The irony just astounds me. No child is safe in the hands of any stranger.....No one will care for your child, like you can.....I'll just never understand.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »
On 2005-12-23 18:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would never even take this kinda of chance with my childs life. I will never understand why some parents think this could not, is not, will not be a possibility for their child, no matter which facility they choose.

We teach our children from the time they are born, "don't talk to strangers." Yet some parents just send their kid/s off to the hands of strangers, in the name of love. The irony just astounds me. No child is safe in the hands of any stranger.....No one will care for your child, like you can.....I'll just never understand."
I was the same way, I could not comprehend ever sending my child away.  But for some there is no other option to keep your child safe from themselves or others.  You work with them love them, exhaust every avenue and still your child is putting themselves at risk and you feel they may never come home again and all you want is for them to be safe and live another day.  At this point an RTC becomes an option.  Maybe not WWASPs but a place which will keep them safe and allow them to continue to grow and get them back on track.  You cant and I dont expect to convince anyone that they would feel this way unless they were in that situation themselves.  Some of these places are a haven for kids who are at risk.  Some, like everything else, dont need to be there at all.

Offline MADMOM

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
Justamom,
I was so glad to read your post today.  I wish that more people would at least attempt to see the truth behind this whole mess.  I hope that you will start asking question, demand answers, and insist that the laws change.  We will never be able to demand more transparancy with CPS, Foster Care Children, "Psyco" Psycs, and Rtc's abuse of children without numbers of voters bonding together.  I encourage you to explore the truth and then I challenge you to take action.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
THIS PLACE KILLS KIDS.  BEWARE.   :skull:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »
Bottom line here is these places Boot Camps, RTCs should all be shut down. Chrildren are being Killed! Vision Quist had over five children die in there care almost every year. Whats wrong with this world? Whats wrong these parernts? Do they think these stories are untrue. Do people really think these places help? Are people that Stupid that they can take a 50/50 chance there son or daughter will come out of one of these places Alive. I hate these places,and I hate the people that place these kids in these places. There lives are put at more risk then if they were out on the streets doing drugs. Most of the parents that send there kids to these places go to bed with a warm feeling inside at night thinking there child is safe, in good hands.Little do they know is that they too can still get that Dredful phone call in the middell of the night. We need to do something to help these kids. Someone has to STOP these kids from being MURDERED!