Author Topic: Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx  (Read 25928 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Death due to Restraint at Star Ranch RTC- Ingram, Tx
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
Your prediction for ?these kids? is dismal- ?will never function normally in society as a result of the atrocious abuse they endured.?

When you hold that expectation, how can you possibly ?help?? How could the kids possibly progress?
Is that justification for more abuse?
So, what IS Star Ranch? A holding facility until they screw up bad enough to go to CYA?

If you can?t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If the state won?t pay to have these kids cared for ?well?, it?s not in the kids best interest for Star to decrease quality and hire people who are willing to work for little pay. 80%.... 50%.... of cost, what?s that got to do with what these kids need- which is more than warm bodies. And if the money's not there to do it right, find another line of work.

Ultimately, Star is responsible for training their employees. I will never be convinced that an adult can?t ?hold? a child until they have regained composure, without killing them. Even if this young man (most of their employees appeared to be 20something males) had not received adequate training, one would think that this would be common sense. And, perhaps these young males with excess testosterone, lack much common sense. Is it such a good idea to put them in charge of severely distressed kids? What in their lives has prepared them for such a daunting task? Three days...Two weeks, of program 'training'.

With kids 5 times more likely to be killed or injured in out-of-home placements, I?d prefer to see my tax dollars going to assist families who often abuse due to dire financial circumstances,
and/or to parent training. At least in Tx, and in spite of the ?attrocious abuse?, kids seem to have a better chance of surviving childhood at home.

You interested in posting what you believe to be false?.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
I live in the Hill Country and also know the Southards.... I personally do not agree with you.  There is no "good" RTC and anyone that supports them is, in my opinion, wrong.  I have been to the Star Ranch and I left with horrible feelings.  No child should be in RTC, even the ones that are difficult.  I hope our State Government opens their eyes to the cruilty and abuse that they are placing these children in.  I would rather see all RTC's shut down that see another child die in the embrace of "Christian Love", because as you know.... that is what they call it....

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Star Ranch ordered closed following the death of another child- Michael Ortega

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&0
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
your were a bad mother and now isnt the time to act good
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
mad mom you think your child is telling you the truth but you really have no idea how did you child end up in this RTC? that would obviously be your fault for not taking care of him or neglecting him i just think its crazy that you could show so much interest in who was responsible for the death? were you there? did you witness anything? let the court system work itself out and you can just sit back and watch you really have no imput on what happened or what took place! you really should shut your mouth take a couple advil for the hangout that you probably have from a drinking problem and go to hell!!

Offline FLCLcowdude

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »
My current science teacher used to work there.

Offline GOATFLAVOR

• View Profile
PASSION
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2007, 03:09:20 AM »
It is good to see folks passionate about child safety.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:39:40 AM by Guest »

Offline GOATFLAVOR

• View Profile
?
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »
I have yet to see a program dealing with severe populations that can be %100 restraint free.  It has been posted that they exist.  I would like to see the information on the program and the population they serve.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:12:52 AM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
:lol:

What about the programs that don't want to be restraint free? Wait.. wtf do I care?

Good bad.. makes no different. I'm the motherfucker with the flame thrower and I say burn em all down.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
Goatflavor, what behaviors at the Austin School for the Deaf would cause students to require restraints?
Would you mind naming the RTCs that you worked for in Texas?
You have worked in this industry since you were age 18?  Was this type of employment how you payed your way through college and Graduate Studies?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
you know those deaf kids.. fucking out of control little monsters.. they be signing like maniacs.. coming right at you with an extended middle finger.
am the metal pig.

Offline GOATFLAVOR

• View Profile
THE QUESTION IS
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
Where is there an example of kids that hurt themselves and others getting their needs met without ever using restraint?  The second you train people to do it there will always be danger.  

I don't get the relevance of how i payed for my education.
There are deaf children with behavior disorders the same way there are children with behavior disorders in other places.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Schools that use restraint often abuse it, I suspect that it's no different in your case Goat. You won't admit it until a kid dies, state won't care until a kid dies. Look at the latest restraint related death of Isaiah Simmons at Bowling Brook or check out the 23 deaths in 11 months thread. It's pathetic that some folks try to past restraint off as a necessary evil or even a benevolent service. When a child dies these folks(are you one) don't even apologise they just cover their asses like cowards
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline GOATFLAVOR

• View Profile
I SUSPECT
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »
I suspect much myself.  It does not make it relevant.  I have been around folks who have spent decades doing research, training, and being trained on how to descalate any potential situation.  It may only be 5% of the time that anything physical happens in their presence, but it is still dangerous.  Any time you are talking about holding someone that does not want to be held it is dangerous.  Any time you are talking about a group of kids that will spit, hit, punch, or kick it is dangerous.  So what do you do?  You don"t serve these kids needs?

Offline GOATFLAVOR

• View Profile
IM ALL FOR IT
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
Show me a group serving real needs without ever having to restrain.  I am all for it.  Show it to me.  I have looked.  I want it as much as anybody can.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2007, 04:10:39 PM »
Ok, so they *need restraint... You're just providing a noble service, right? If they happen to die or suffer mental/emotional damage that's just the price of doing business, collateral damage..  If a person happens to die would you accept responsibility and lock yourself in the clank?

Don't try to color your "service recipients" as out of control head cases that can only be kept safe if restrained. I've seen every kind of abuser justify their actions by using this tactic, disgusting. Perhaps if you were to treat these people who *need restraint like human beings they wouldn't be so angry and combative. The only danger around these kids are people, with your think, who only wish to control them and not understand them. Your path is not one with the best interest for the child in mind, your path is one of least resistance... The easiest and most convenient
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]