Author Topic: Straight is it, the freest place we\'ve ever found  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight is it, the freest place we\'ve ever found
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 14:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 10:17:00, starry-eyed pirate wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 09:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 08:46:00, starry-eyed pirate wrote:

"God dude, I don't want you to go away.  Please stick around so we can get down to some understanding.  I know that you were brainwashed by straight.  There were things I wanted to say to you way back when but I had no voice at the time.  Fuck.  You have every right to be on this board.  You have survived Str8 too.  You were my oldcomer until i escaped from your house that very dark night.  

It's like I want to be angry at you because in a way you represent that faceless institution to me. Aww... FUCK!

Do you remember how you confronted me when they brought me back into group ??"

How can you still be such a sucker? Did you want to hug all the child abusers that fucked you over? Fuckin get some balls already. God damn."

Fuck you. I am dealin' with this cat the way I see fit.  "

Funny how you can be like that to a random anonymous poster on a message board, but you can't cut to the chase with this other guy who actually abused you."

Actually I said the same thing to him too, only I capitalized the FUCK YOU for him.  Also I have a personal history with both of these people.  You assume way too much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Princess Bride

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »
When I started wondering why I still feared eventually being locked up again after so many years of being a good upstanding citizen, I started thinking I needed to finally look at this and get over it if that was at all possible.
Reading posts exactly like this one- describing the exact same phobias and compulsions that have been stinking up my personality for years proves the truth that the place effected me NEGATIVELY.
I would be interested in hearing more from an ex staff member in case it was someone I remembered from there. There was one staff above all others who I thought was the best to me and seemed to be less concerned with inflicting humiliation. He spoke about being epileptic which may or may not have made me feel the he tried to be more honest - who knows. Another friend of mine remembers things differently, she wrote a poem about this guy. I was 14 and up until that time only had experienced being screwed with on a very basic level, guys at parties, my mother and her vieolent ravings etc.
Until Straight I had no concept of real hopelessness and desperation. I was terrified that all the things they told me would happen when I left, however was convinced that I would never finish the program anyway.
I went to AA, drank on 6.5 years of sobriety when I turned 21.
I have not attend an AA meeting in over 10 years. Since I stopped all the "recovery"; I stopped smoking, graduated college, married, had a child, and have a career that I enjoy and my life is better than I would ever have hoped.
I am most interested in moving forward, being as positive, useful and productive as possible.
I resent the *&^% out of the fact that I still feel I am doomed to failure because I am not "in recovery" attending meetings every night and the like.
I could go on and on, suffice it to say that I have definately been affected by that place, negatively, not to mention the rest of my family.
I do believe in moving ahead and only want to finally get those negative thoughts out of my head - thoughts I know wouldn't be so deeply rooted if they hadn't been planted there when I was totally vulnerable and unable to fight back.
Until I started looking at these posts, it never occurred to me that all the unpleasant things about that place, absence of light, lack of sleep, and food at times, were intentional.
I have succeeded in life IN SPITE of that place, I have formed normal relationships IN SPITE of that place. My sisters are still talking to me IN SPITE of how much they hated me when I got out of there. One of my sisters, a straight A student - never did anything wrong before this, tried to kill herself less than a year after we left there.
I wasn't the only one effected, they had no choice about graduating or not.
I do sincerely hope to hear, however, that people who really believed in the place- enough to turn around and make their living there, are capable of seeing the truth at some point too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »
James Ficarro here.  Springfield 84-86, staff trainie, 7 stepper.  email me if your worried about your confidentiality.  [email protected]
I have some of the same problems that people have been discussing (anxiety, confrontational, etc), but sorry, I am not anti straight.  Maybe I am still brainwashed after all these years.  Of course it sucked, but I have mixed feelings about it.  Let me know who you are because we were obviously in group together.  I am dying to know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »
J.F.,I don't think you were there when I was, you are free to go. Unless someone else finds you guilty, then by all means stick around and hear them out, you may learn something  :cool:

I used the term guilty, because after all you were on staff of sorts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2005, 02:45:00 AM »
I must have been invisible in that damn place.  I 7 stepped the same day as Jim... the kid who got ran over on the beltway.  I was best friends with Sue and I have heard that karem is doing very well as an MD in San Francisco.  Come on... who are you?  [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2005, 03:01:00 AM »
Oh well, got to get some sleep.  I would love to hear from Springfield people.  contact me.  JF

In the mean time.  Here is my Christmas MI:

I feel really good about being able to watch The Never Ending Story in the carpet room today.  I could relate to the boy in the story who obviously had a drug problem because he was confused and yelled a lot.  I think the princess was like group, trying to get me to believe and do the right thing, and the darkness was drugs.  I especially liked the mountain character? but he may have represented being high because mountains are high and made of stone.  I have serious doubts about this movie.  Even the main character liked to get high; always riding on that dragon.  

I am powerless over having watched the Never Ending Story and liking characters that like to be high and are made out of stone.  I feel discouraged that I want to have a dragon so I can be high too and a druggie friend like that mountain guy who was so high.  I ask my higher power to give me strength to close my eyes next time there is a movie in the carpet room and hum straight songs loudly in my head throughout the show to block out the forces of darkness and mountains and dragons that would lead me back to drugs.  Next Christmas, if I am still on 1st phase, I will ask for a small group one-on-one during the movie so I can get all my feelings out and resolve these mountain/dragon fears.

I feel good about the fact that, even though I sat Indian style for 5 hours, my knees will be ok after surgery.

I feel good about getting a pair of underwear for my Christmas present.

I feel good about the Christmas dinner of a spoon full of tuna on a piece of lettuce with a dixi cup of water.

Short term goals

I will talk in group about my doubts about enjoying the intake room in mornings because the smell gives me a buzz.

I will not make eye contact with others, even though others is so cute.  I am not talking behind backs because I said ?others?.

I will report my oldcomer to a 5th phaser because he knows who others is and is still allowing me to write others in my MI.

Long term goals (6-9 months)

I will make T&R so I can vacuum others office

I will get up the courage to talk about the time that I threw a paper airplane that hit my cousin in the eye.  I will admit that if I hadn?t been a druggie, I would have never done that and my cousin wouldn?t have been forced to cuss and rub his eye.

I will learn to have more spit come out of my mouth when I yell so I can be more affective in close group therapy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »
Springfield Straight. A very frightening place. Look at all the proStraightlings coming out of the woodwork, just as suspected.

Mel Riddile. What do remember about this guy? Discuss.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »
Scary indeed.  James, I remember you.  Sorry to read you haven't got the big picture yet.  Of course you are entitled to your own mind, if that's what it is, and not Straight's mind which has been implanted into you like some kind of a freak in an old monster movie.  I wish you the best.

Wally- I went to bed last night not quite comfortable with some of the things you wrote yesterday.  I didn't much care for your "LOVE YA TODD" at the end of your pm to me.  In fact if you can find room up your arse, what with that ol' disassembled rap stool already takin' up space there, i reccomend you shove that part of your pm right up there too.  I thought Carmel did a really good job yesterday of trying to provide you with a proper perspective on where you are and who you are dealin' with on this forum.  I am tryin' to be cool about all this even though you were definately fucked up for bein' on staff.  I'm tryin' to give you a chance but you better wise up quick.  It's your turn to be humble now.  If you aren't gettin it, then maybe you better just keep your mouth shut until you've read up on other peoples experiences in that mind rape torture chamber we all know as Str8 Inc.  You hurt my friend Withdraw, among others here, and she is a beautiful soul.  You better open your eyes and get some respect.  

Wally, See the misery that Str8 inflicted on my brothers and sisters here.  See the pain that imprisons so many to this day.  Open your eyes, Open your ears,  The Jews have a sayin': "You have 2 ears and 1 mouth , you should listen twice as much as you talk".  I think this applies to you right now.  You were part of that monstrous organization.  You took money to oppress your brothers and sisters.  How can you even listen to any righteous reggae without guilt.  You would do well to be humble now.  Take in this forum and hopefully set yourself free in the process.  Get real my old oldcomer or FUCK OFF AND DIE.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline ex-prisoner

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
On 2005-12-08 09:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I was in Straight in the 80's and staff as well. I googled myself and came up with this column ,with I thought was interesting. Been some time since I have pondered ole' 5515 Backlick Rd and the sound your host families' tires used to make went they hit the gravel and woke you up to the realization that in less than 2 minutes you will be stuffed with 43 other rank, farting straightlings in a small room holding only your shitty lunch of one fruit and whatever your host family's dog didn't eat the night before . I have found the way I view some things is different from others because of my experiences at straight(i.e. what do you mean you got laid at the prom? what's a prom?) but overall I say I am okay with what happened and how things have turned out. I still have many friends from Straight that I see and interact with all the time, although none that I know are still "straight" and i cant remember the last time it even came up in conversation, including some of the mentionables in this column. While I am not casting any bad karma at all to anybody who did not complete the program, I certainly think that the psychological effects of not doing so have been very damaging to some of these people. Having been a staff member, I do not feel i owe anybody an apology, but would love to hear more from people about life experiences that they feel are outside of the norm due to the common time we shared together at "the warehouse". We should all get together for beers and ping pong regularly."

amscray