Author Topic: Mount Bachelor Academy  (Read 8515 times)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
On 2005-12-19 14:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Sounds like sour grapes to me.  All the kids know they can walk away from MBA at 18 so you apparently aren't telling the WHOLE truth about why you left the school.  
MBA is an outstanding choice FOR THE RIGHT KID and it is up to each parent to decide if it is right for them."

They really cannot just walk out at 18 and you know it. They may have the legal right to, but the choice often is between the program and homelessness at 18. That is not really a choice.

On the second point, there are plenty of parents that simply are not competent to make the decision about matching program with child. This takes professional qualifications. The child could very well have an undiagnosed mental illness and neither the parents or program staff is qualified to make the diagnosis.

It is a common complaint about programs that qualified intake procedures and staff with mental health qualifications and experience are sadly lacking.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 12:35:00 AM »
Whoever posted the comment about being a teacher recently at MBA, please get in contact with me. I recently ran away from MBA, made it to Prinville for three days, got found, but never returned again. Please get in touch with me, it would be great to talk to you. Thanks. My name's Nicole, and my e-mail address is [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
My son graduated from MBA. I know it was hard work. I know about mentoring and academics . I know about the restrictions. I know that is not magic but a lot of work from the kids, mentors, teachers and us the parents.
The  unhappy former teacher, Nicole , the alumni who's struggling, one advice: move on with your life, take accountability for your part and let MBA do their job.
 I know is not perfect but is far away from your implications. My son is the proof. Have a nice one!

Offline PA320H

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
It sounds like the teacher is just angry at the school.  But I had a child in ASR which is the east coast version of MBA and everything she says is true.  The size of the therapy groups are up to 20 or more.  Kids do all of the cleaning.  The staff is very disrespectful.  There is drug abuse going on.  Most of the kids are on challenges or self study.  All of the kids feel abandoned by the parents because you are not allowed to talk to them for so long and everything that was told to the parents is not true.  I'm sure not all experiences are bad but I would be very cautious about MBA and ASR.  They scare me.  At 6K to 7K a month parents and kids deserve better.

No citizen of a liberal and democratic nation profits from a victorious war.
--Ludwig von Mises

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Wait, you've already sent your kid away to ASR and now you're looking for another one to send him to?

Offline PA320H

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
Yes.  I am going on the assumption that not all therapeutic schools are bad.  However, I have not found one with a good solid reputation.  I think MBA sounds very similar to ASR in the way the kids are treated.  

Keep in mind that public school and many private schools cannot and do not provide what some students need.  I just have not found a school that I feel comfortable with.  

I turned to speak to God, About the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there.
--Robert Frost, American poet

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
On 2006-03-04 11:43:00, PA320H wrote:

However, I have not found one with a good solid reputation.

Hmmm, let's think about that for a minute.

Keep in mind that public school and many private schools cannot and do not provide what some students need.

No they don't, nor should you expect them to.  It's YOUR job to provide what your child needs.

I just have not found a school that I feel comfortable with.  

I've been looking into this for years now and I've yet to find one either.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 01:57:00 AM »
I went down to MBA in Prineville to see if it could help my son who's a serious substance abuser, chronic truant, failed 10th grade twice although his IQ is in the superior range, and one thing still sticks in my mind -- why can't we drive down and see our son on a Saturday or Sunday, why can't we call him?  Why are all these therapeutic boarding schools like this?  Why no contact?  Okay, my son will beg us to take him home and they don't want the disruption of parents coming to visit on the weekend, but if I can't see my child, talk to my child, the bonds will be broken.  I didn't want him to think we abandoned him, so we opted out.  One year later, his drug use is off the charts, he's destroying himself and right now he's on a wilderness trek and from there will go somewhere, but it won't be to MBS for 14 months...which leads me to -- why aren't any of these schools 9 months or 12 months?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
I have direct access to the INSIDE of Aspen Education Group and the concerns posted here are WELL FOUNDED.  You have no idea of how much is covered up and how many cases AEG settles at the courtroom door.  For confirmation check into the whys/whereabouts of why the infamous "Malea" was finally fired after over a decade of abuse.  And finally the truth about SUWS and the nutcase running it is under investigation for almost 7 near deaths.  If as a parent you are considering these programs, go spend the week watching; you will change your mind.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
On 2006-05-03 11:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have direct access to the INSIDE of Aspen Education Group and the concerns posted here are WELL FOUNDED.  You have no idea of how much is covered up and how many cases AEG settles at the courtroom door.  For confirmation check into the whys/whereabouts of why the infamous "Malea" was finally fired after over a decade of abuse.  And finally the truth about SUWS and the nutcase running it is under investigation for almost 7 near deaths.  If as a parent you are considering these programs, go spend the week watching; you will change your mind. "

The Who recently suggested SUWS to a StrugglingParent.  AEG is top of the line according to this guy.

Good job with the referral. :roll:

Can you provide some links for the information or expound on it for us?  Thanks.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
RTC (Residential Treatment Facilities) are shorter in duration, but are much more intensive.
Many are lock-down facilities and are geared toward kids with more severe mental issues and possibly serious drug abuse. I am not sure, but these may be stricter and could have more abuse potential (I am sure that the former programers will comment more on this topic).

They will suggest drug rehabs, but these rarely work, and usually if they do, the kid WANTS to give up the drug use (not likely).

Each TBS has different amounts of time required. AGain, RTC's are much shorter (3-6 month range). They are quite expensive, too.

Some programs are more open to visitation (perhaps they have nothing to hide?)

If his drug use is increasing, it can't be ignored. Wilderness can best advise you on where to go next (even home, but don't count on it).

Offline jbadams669

• View Profile
Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
I worked for about 6 months at MBA around 1999.  I am very curious to find out from people what's happened over the last several years there.  I do remember seeing an article about a student who hung himself in the woods--unfortunately it was a student that I knew fairly well, and it bummed me out to hear that it happened.  Any info about students, staff, happenings, whatever are appreciated--particularly from around that time period if anyone was there at that time.  Thanks!

(I'll share my personal thoughts on the place later...)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
'93
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
I too went to MBA in 93 and stayed until '95 and I gotta tell you that the teachers do care. They still call and check up on me. They are all around good people maybe not all of them but I would say most. Also look I read Maia's book I enjoyed it thouroghly but that stuff did not happen to us at MBA. There was no Physicall abuse what so ever.

One thing I agree with in the book is that if you put a sociopath in that situation it only worsens there condition. The problem is finidng out who is a socipath and who is not.

One thing I will also agree with is that it leaves a lasting impact. Ie: Dreams about it and the occasional feeling of fear. Doing the stuff we had to do there was hard but if I was 15 again and knowing what I know now asked to go back I think I would. The friends you leave with are worth the grief you go through.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
Please contact me - all of you who have Aspen Ed. prog. info
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 07:41:59 AM »
I am known around here to be a dedicated activist focused on uncovering Asp's mo. I have finally gotten together a working, albeit, loose, coalition of strategists working with me  I have been compiling data in them for over two years, from many angles and I believe we're close to critical mass. We have yet to determine what avenue would be best to take to break their precious wall of secrecy.  There are two reasons that we want to gather as much information as possible NOW - one has to do with their vulnerability due to the recent acquisition, the other reason can't be made public.  Whether you worked for them or were subjected to them we need to know. We all know what goes on in general in their programs. While lots of stories might not prove anything in court, they make a huge impact on the public, There are other things that can be done through the legal system.
[/b] Send me a private message, PLEASE!