Author Topic: Cowards!  (Read 11321 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
Ed, really, calm down ...You sound like you could use a xanax or three
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
On 2005-12-07 07:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-06 22:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"On 2005-12-06 21:28:00, Lars wrote:

"Wow, the place really hasn't changed much since I went there. I won't tell you not to go if you really feel you need to support your family, but I can assure you it's not a getting to know each other thing with fun activities. I call Hyde the "no fun zone." Read the threads on this board very carefully. There was nothing I hated more than family weekends when I there.  

Expect to get sucked into the drama. My advice (besides avoiding the place)? Stand your ground. Don't let any obnoxious, know it all jerks push you around."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw this board for the first time. I would just like to echo Larry's, (Lars) sentiments. I was one of those parents who was sucked into the drama of the moment, which thankfully I transended as the months went by and realized the hypocrisy and dishonesty that permeated the entire hierarchy of Hyde School.

The Ed's of the world can B.S. all they want, but the truth is Hyde is nothing but a Cult and unfortunately a dumping ground for children whose parents are desperate to find an answer for their various problems.

And for Ed's reference or anyone else my name is Steve Feig.

"

Thank you for having the courage to post your comment and name.  I understand why it's important for people to identify themselves, and I also understand that a number of people on this board are not comfortable doing so because of their deep mistrust of Hyde.  Parents whose kids are still at Hyde or who are contemplating or engaged in legal action against Hyde have very legitimate reasons for remaining anonymous here.  

Like you, after a number of months we figured out how much hypocrisy and dishonesty permeate Hyde.  We have encountered some caring and dedicated staff there, but, sadly, they are completely overshadowed by some frighteningly incompetent, harmful staff who seem to be meeting their own pathetic emotional needs by mistreating and judging other people.  The more time I spend around Hyde staff the more convinced I am that the school attracts some staff who have led very rocky lives themselves and are "working out" some of their own issues in this protective bubble and end up taking on Joe Gauld's destructive ways because this gives meaning and structure to their own confused lives.  As you suggest, the similarities between some classic cults and Hyde are powerful:  the God-like leader, the arrogance, the push to control and judge others, the scripted language, the troubled pasts of many adherents who end up in positions of power, the cliches that provide quick responses to all dilemmas, etc.  This package should scare off any parent who considers Hyde for their child.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »
another coward

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 05:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"another coward"

Another faculty member.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
Larry, you're a farce...move on.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 07:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Larry, you're a farce...move on."

You wish.   :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
Oh and Larry, I took the liberty of "googling" you and saw that most of the entries with your name were from the Hyde website.  About your you talked about being a public defender, you hsared the birth of your new baby.  I guess you haven't REALLY cut your ties.  There's more about you in those publications than most alums...hmmm, did someone hurt your feelings recently to make you so mad at the school?

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 07:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Oh and Larry, I took the liberty of "googling" you and saw that most of the entries with your name were from the Hyde website.  About your you talked about being a public defender, you hsared the birth of your new baby.  I guess you haven't REALLY cut your ties.  There's more about you in those publications than most alums...hmmm, did someone hurt your feelings recently to make you so mad at the school?"

Who said anything about cutting ties?  Believe or not, there's people there that I have respect for, and I'd like some of my classmates to know what's going on with my life.  Everything I've wriiten on this site comes from the heart and stems from the three miserable years I spent there.  No one there hurt my feelings there recently.  Is that so hard to figure out for you guys?  And by the way, if you're going to call me by my real name, do me the courtesy of telling me who you are.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 07:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Oh and Larry, I took the liberty of "googling" you "

I must have really touched some nerves up there.

As I told someone else there, you can contact me directly if you want.  That's up to you, at this point in my life I have no desire to confront anyone there.  Like I said, I saw this board one day, and I just let loose with some feelings that I'd had inside for long time.  That's it.

Well, gotta make breakfast for the kids and head out for court.  I'll check back at a later time.  Just try to be civil, civility was lacking in a major way when I was at Hyde, and based on what I've seen here recently, I'm not conviced that has changed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
I'm not up "there" I'm just an alum who's pretty proud of my high school...
And pretty pissed off that you got away with playing the"game"

And it's none of your business who I am.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 07:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm not up "there" I'm just an alum who's pretty proud of my high school...

And pretty pissed off that you got away with playing the"game"

And it's none of your business who I am."

I got away with nothing.  I EARNED my diploma, kiddo.  True character has nothing to do with acting like most of the people up there did.  That's a lesson you obviously haven't learned.  Character is LIVING those principles on that shield - and I've done a pretty good job of it in my life.  [ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-09 07:52 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
Just so the others on the site understand You "EARNED" your "high school" diploma...not your "HYDE" diploma.  Whether you are living a life of character now has nothing to do with you pulling the wool over everyone's eyes while a student at Hyde and "playing the game"!!  

Remember when you said this:

I did graduate with a "diploma" (only given to about 5 or 6 out of the 35 kids I graduated with, the rest got a "certificate" or a "document" - another screwed-up aspect of the program). But by the second half of my senior year, I knew how to play their game and did so while trying to be as humane as possible to the underclassmen

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 08:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Just so the others on the site understand You "EARNED" your "high school" diploma...not your "HYDE" diploma.  Whether you are living a life of character now has nothing to do with you pulling the wool over everyone's eyes while a student at Hyde and "playing the game"!!  

Remember when you said this:

I did graduate with a "diploma" (only given to about 5 or 6 out of the 35 kids I graduated with, the rest got a "certificate" or a "document" - another screwed-up aspect of the program). But by the second half of my senior year, I knew how to play their game and did so while trying to be as humane as possible to the underclassmen

"

Wrong again.  What you've quoted, that IS character.  Playing their game isn't the same as pulling the wool over someone's eyes.  Again, you're confusing character with acting in a certain self-righteous confrontational way.

And by the way, I actually did give my all to just about everything they had us do.  I just mentally rejected the techniques and philosophies that I found to be unhealthy.  There's a difference.  I know it's a subtle one, but I'm sure you have the ability to make that distinction.[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-09 08:13 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »
You are wrong...

The way you could have displayed character, is by saying that you didn't agree with what was going on at Hyde and refused to play the game.

What you did instead was conform to what you were supposed to do and then you walked away with a piece of paper that said you were truly living your life (at that moment) with standards of excellence.  Which you were not because you were not sharing how you really felt, and just took the paper and ran.
I would respect you a lot more if you had said "this place sucks, I don't want your stupid paper, just give me my transcripts...I'm outta here!" That would have been the character thing to do.

What you did was make the Hyde diploma mean less than is should. At least those in 1990.

Instead of pulling the lawyer thing and immediately rebutting, just sit back and try to hear what I'm saying.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Cowards!
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 08:26:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You are wrong...

The way you could have displayed character, is by saying that you didn't agree with what was going on at Hyde and refused to play the game.

What you did instead was conform to what you were supposed to do and then you walked away with a piece of paper that said you were truly living your life (at that moment) with standards of excellence.  Which you were not because you were not sharing how you really felt, and just took the paper and ran.

I would respect you a lot more if you had said "this place sucks, I don't want your stupid paper, just give me my transcripts...I'm outta here!" That would have been the character thing to do.

What you did was make the Hyde diploma mean less than is should. At least those in 1990.

Instead of pulling the lawyer thing and immediately rebutting, just sit back and try to hear what I'm saying."

No, you listen.  Telling them to shove it would have meant living on the streets.  My parents were under their control.  It was make the best of it or hit the road.  Not an option for someone like myself who actually wanted to achieve something in life.  When I took that piece of paper I WAS living my lfe by standards of excellence.  To say that I wasn't because I didn't share all of my feelings is just flat out wrong.  I took the diploma because I was living the principles - what those principles meant to me.