Author Topic: Today Dr. Phil makes a house call  (Read 5392 times)

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
Today Dr. Phil makes a house call
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 01:12:00 AM »
Yet another case of parents over reacting. I did more drugs when I came out then I did when I went in. Let's see....pot (hey, I think I hear something?, LSD (my favorite while attending Grateful Dead Shows, but god when will I ever get to sleep?), mushrooms (after I threw up it was a pretty good trip, XTC (Jerry Shows were great), coke (never lasted long enough, too expensive if I wanted to make it last forever), speed/crystal meth (oh god, that took me two times of doing before I learned my lesson), vicodin (the best drug in the world to numb your emotions), I have been clean off vicodin for 8 months. I love that drug, but you have to take more, and more to make it work. I was spending $500 dollars a month over the course of three years. I miss it, it was a horrible drug to have withdrawls from though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 01:26:00 AM »
BTW, I asked my doctor.......why can't they have an anti-depressent that models vicodin without the negative side-effects? He said something about it being an opiate.......blah, blah, blah! I only smoked pot once before entering these shit holes. And when I say once, I mean like one hit, out of this snake shapped bong, I'll never forget! I am no druggie, I experimented for a few years after my departure. My biggest problem was the pills . I wasn't introduced to them on the streets, or anything like that! I had a number of horse accidents where I was thrown, and was in severe pain. My last accident I broke a couple ribs, and at the same time was practically left at the alter by my fiance who I had been seeing on and off for the last 6 years. I remember, taking the pills, and the pain went away........physical, emotional, any, and every pain I had ever had. It was great. DO NOT try this at home. Have a glass of good red wine instead.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »
*** and I did raise a valid comment... that is they chose to walk out (which someone decried as making it so ineffective  ) I asked what happened then.

I don't know what happened then. I didn't mean to imply that that was MY opinion. The parents in the group I was in complained that they had tried LH and didn't like it because their kid could refuse 'treatment' and walk out. Can't remember the exact age that they can do so, but our kids were about 14-15 at the time.
To my knowledge, it is not the 'typical' program. It's a shorter-term rehab.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
I did more drugs when I came out then I did when I went in.

Same here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 05:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"*** and I did raise a valid comment... that is they chose to walk out (which someone decried as making it so ineffective  ) I asked what happened then.

I don't know what happened then. I didn't mean to imply that that was MY opinion. The parents in the group I was in complained that they had tried LH and didn't like it because their kid could refuse 'treatment' and walk out. Can't remember the exact age that they can do so, but our kids were about 14-15 at the time.

To my knowledge, it is not the 'typical' program. It's a shorter-term rehab. "

Parents in the group... Just what group is this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
A local 'drug' intervention group my son was required to attend with parents in tow. It was such a joke. So much lying and manipulating, my son bolted after the second or third meeting. Parents 'attacking' other people's kids. I attacked back a few times which really shocked some of them. The counselor leading the group just sat there and let the bullshit happen. Course, she was just fresh out of college, still green and living in a fairytale world. No ability to relate to the kids (all male ironically) at all. They were so terribly bored. It was not too different than ready ST board. I often thought our time would've been better spent playing a group sport or going bowling.
LH was one of their recommended facilities if the kid didn't respond to the group. At least half the parents had already tried LH and didn't think very highly of it for the reason stated previously.

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
The bottom line is that if someone doesn't want to change, nothing can force them.  Not abuse, not brainwashing, not even jail.  If a program will let people walk away, that doesn't make it ineffective.  They wouldn't succeed anyway, not in the long run.  That also means that those who do want change and are willing to stick with it are provided a positive environment!

This is true if you are 17 -- or 70 years old.  Locking somebody away in some remote camp is only going piss them off and strengthen their resolve to do as they please.

This is why a self-directed program like Rational Recovery is effective.  Those willing to give it a try are obviously not happy with their situation, desire a change, and will do what they can to follow through.

You have to be your own motivator.

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »
Anyone ever seen "Intervention" on A&E?  

The first step in recovery is to recognize that a problem exists and change is needed .  I've not seen anyone refuse, but I guess if they did, it wouldn't make good TV. =)