Author Topic: Torture  (Read 7681 times)

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
Torture
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
Excerpts from ... Torture:

"Techniques described in the November 18 ABC News report?prolonged forced standing, sleep deprivation, and exposure to cold?are illegal and may possibly amount to torture. These techniques were used by Soviet and North Korean interrogators, and have been reported more recently in Egypt, Burma, Iran and Turkey. This backgrounder provides descriptions of these techniques and their effects ? both historical examples and accounts from the State Department?s own human rights reports."

"The Washington Times reported last year that ?some of the most feared forms of torture? cited by survivors of the North Korean gulag ?were surprisingly mundane: Guards would force inmates to stand perfectly still for hours at a time, or make them perform exhausting repetitive exercises such as standing up and sitting down until they collapsed from fatigue.? (?Nightmares from the North; Korean son recounts life in dictatorship,? Benjamin Hu, The Washington Times, April 30, 2004.) "

"In The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksander Solzhenitsen describes Soviet interrogations including cases of forced standing and sleep deprivation: ?Then there is the method of simply compelling a prisoner to stand there.? Among other techniques used to break prisoners was forcing them to stay in a fixed position for an extended period of time."

"Pakistan: In the country reports, the State Department noted that prolonged isolation and denial of food or sleep were common torture methods."

"Tunisia: In the country reports, the State Department said that tactics such as food and sleep deprivation or confinement to a tiny, unlit cell were commonly used in Tunisia."

"Turkey: The State Department stated that torture is a regular practice in Turkey. According to the 2001 country report, some of the methods of torture employed by Turkish security forces included prolonged standing and isolation."

Just an excerpt from the relevant stuff.  Sounds alot like iso at WWASPS to me!  :flame:

-- [email protected][ This Message was edited by: trnsz on 2005-11-30 20:26 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 001010

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Do you have the link?

In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.
-- Richard Bach

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline Bola

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
"News report?prolonged forced standing, sleep deprivation, and exposure to cold?are illegal and may possibly amount to torture. "

hey i can honestly say "exposure to cold" was never an issue for those of us in samoa.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 06:43:00, Bola wrote:

""News report?prolonged forced standing, sleep deprivation, and exposure to cold?are illegal and may possibly amount to torture. "

hey i can honestly say "exposure to cold" was never an issue for those of us in samoa. "

It was (still is) an issue, however, for the kids imprisoned in Spring Creek Lodge, Montana. In the WWASPS vs. PURE trial, a parent described how his son was kept in isolation for nearly 8 months. The boy managed to sneak in an orange, so he'd have something to eat in there besides the limited diet given to prisoners kept in solitary confinement. That orange was completely frozen by morning. Other survivors of SCL described being forced to jump into a lake in the middle of the winter (after breaking the ice).

WWASPS is making big money out of torturing children. Where is their accountability? Why aren't they tried and punished for their crimes?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 06:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

""News report?prolonged forced standing, sleep deprivation, and exposure to cold?are illegal and may possibly amount to torture. "

hey i can honestly say "exposure to cold" was never an issue for those of us in samoa. "

It was (still is) an issue, however, for the kids imprisoned in Spring Creek Lodge, Montana. In the WWASPS vs. PURE trial, a parent described how his son was kept in isolation for nearly 8 months. The boy managed to sneak in an orange, so he'd have something to eat in there besides the limited diet given to prisoners kept in solitary confinement. That orange was completely frozen by morning. Other survivors of SCL described being forced to jump into a lake in the middle of the winter (after breaking the ice).

WWASPS is making big money out of torturing children. Where is their accountability? Why aren't they tried and punished for their crimes?"

This is so moving, so powerful---except that it's BS. The kid lied all the way. There have never even been any charges, in spite of the fact that the kid has been crowing about this for years. It's all attention for him, but so ridiculous that no legal entity took him seriously. It didn't happen.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
The months in the hobbit and the frozen orange as well as a busted up mouth, were sworn to in Federal court by his father.
Other SCL students have mentioned this young man and what he was made to endure. His name still pops up in student's accounts from time to time. They attest to the truth of the allegations.
It happened alright.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »

This is so moving, so powerful---except that it's BS. The kid lied all the way. There have never even been any charges, in spite of the fact that the kid has been crowing about this for years. It's all attention for him, but so ridiculous that no legal entity took him seriously. It didn't happen."

Really? It's BS, huh? How do you know this? From my personal experience because I was in one of these WWASPS schools a loooong time ago (and I doubt you were), I can tell you I had lots of bad shit happen to me. When I got out, I was almost 17, and tried to live out what little teenage years I had left. The last thing I wanted to do was go to trial. I even contacted a couple of lawyers, and sat down with them, and discussed my case. They thought I had a good case, but when they put things into prespective about all the time, and energy I would have to put into it, I said forget it. They had already taken enough of my youth away, I was struggling enough as it was finishing my high school (a lot of my credits from Cross Creek did not transfer so not only did I have a full schedule of classes at my local high school during the day I was taking 2 classes at night too), having a part time job lifeguarding at the club we belonged to, and my first real boyfriend I had ever had. So, what I am trying to say, is just because he hasn't brought a case against WWASPS, it doesn't mean he's "lying". So get a clue! Going to trial is very time consuming, and I admire those people out there who commit to doing it, and are trying to bring about change. I unfortunately was not one of those people, so I guess that means I am full of shit too? Hmmmm................
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »
Dont foreget to mention the new teeth the kid received due to the damage that was done to him by the director.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »
And let's not forget: most of the parents who do file lawsuits againsts these abusive so-called schools are attached from all angles. We are even attacked here on fornits for enrolling our child in a facility in the first place. Parents are seldom given the benefit-of-the-doubt that we were suckered in by the glossy brouchures, the "caring ed cons" and the belief that the facilities were actually "real accredited schools" that would actually provide the promised therapy and care we were paying for. We are attacked for NOT KNOWING. Then, when we remove our child, and file a lawsuit---we are accused of being money-grabbing, scheming, parents.  Not all parents who placed their child did it for the purpose of "getting rid of their kid, or to punish thier kid."  Some were actually desperate parents looking for help who made a huge, horrible choice. That's not an excuse, by any means. But it is how it happened for many.

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

Haha, Bola, no kidding, it wasn't.  But I hear it was for those in Montana and such.  

I think I might remember you, btw.  You were a pretty good volleyball player if I remember correctly. :smile:

Thankfully I never spent much time in iso - but I do remember Justin (?) from Alaska who did - went insane.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
On 2005-12-01 07:53:00, BuzzKill wrote:

"The months in the hobbit and the frozen orange as well as a busted up mouth, were sworn to in Federal court by his father.

Other SCL students have mentioned this young man and what he was made to endure. His name still pops up in student's accounts from time to time. They attest to the truth of the allegations.

It happened alright.

"

Buzz, you can't seriously credit something solely on the basis of the frequency with which it's repeated! The young man in question has no credibility. Neither does his father. Again, no charges, no damages, nothing but stories proliferated on the net, and given weight simply because they get talked about a lot. The fact is, the main parts of the story remain questionable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
On 2005-12-01 07:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Dont foreget to mention the new teeth the kid received due to the damage that was done to him by the director."

How quaint a way for things to grow and twist: even the boy never claimed the director hurt him.

Offline trnsz

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
Regardless of the disputed 'facts' of some individual case, it would be an outright lie to deny that forced silence, isolation, and prolonged periods in uncomfortable positions were used by many WWASPS.  You really believe that so many different people, without any previous contact, would be independetly telling such similar "lies"?  That defies reason.

This is a violation of basic human rights.  A few months difference in age shouldn't mean someone who is 17 and a half and not 18 can be abducted, isolated, or abused.  I don't care what they've done or what problems they had before they got sent away.  It's illegal in the USA to use these techniques on convicted criminals.  I'm not even gonna mention the cult techniques used in those "seminars".

WWASPS: "Welcome to your new life as an enemy combatant".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Torture
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
Maybe we are talking about a differnet kid who attended SCL ?

The one I know abour was HURT by the director.

That's a FACT. Another Fact many kids have been hurt by the Program.

You can think whatever you are TOLD. I know differently.

Dont you have a CULT meeting to attend? I mean "support" meeting.