Author Topic: Hyde is definately reading this board  (Read 16182 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde is definately reading this board
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 22:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yes exactly and each "member" was expected to send out a certain many invitations to this little event held in one of the members homes.  It might have been five or ten invitations required, I don't recall.  I felt like I was a hari krishna who was sent out to recruit more members!!  It was a very awkward situation to be put in.  We were paying over $30,000 per year, on top of this we were expected to donate for the annual fundraising, and then we were asked to recruit more families for them.  Does anyone else think this is odd for a "boarding school?""

I've never been associated with a school that had to push so hard to bring in new students.  Hyde's aggressive recruitment and marketing strategies provide additional evidence that the school cannot depend entirely on its reputation to replenish the supply of incoming students.  Hyde has become increasingly controversial and there are so many concerns floating around about mistreatment of students and families at Hyde that the school is probably worried about enrollments.  Organizations that market themselves as aggressively as Hyde does, and that push currently enrolled families to sponsor coffees and bring in potential families, tend to be organizations that are nervous about their enrollments.  I have a funny feeling that Hyde's increasingly negative reputation, fueled to some extent by this website, will lead to even more hand wringing at the school and more aggressive marketing tactics.  It will be interesting to see if there's evidence of this at the next family weekend when the masses are gathered in the auditorium for the usual "let's praise Hyde" testimonials.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
There are other schools and programs that market like this. WWASP, acording to what I've seen on the 'net, PAYS parents for referals. And I think that in this respect scAmway is a better metaphor than the Hare Krishnas.

say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile.
--Kurt Vonnegut, American author

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 11:54:00, tommyfromhyde1 wrote:

"There are other schools and programs that market like this. WWASP, acording to what I've seen on the 'net, PAYS parents for referals. And I think that in this respect scAmway is a better metaphor than the Hare Krishnas.

say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile.
--Kurt Vonnegut, American author

"

Ah, yes.  I don't think Hyde would want to be associated with WWASPS (the World Wide Association of Speciality Schools).  That's the organization that has had:

-- schools closed down and sued because of alleged abuses: http://www.helpyourteens.com/news/impor ... wasps.html

-- to refund tuition money because of misrepresentations to parents: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600156973,00.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »
The link for the tuition refund lawsuit does not work.  Can you provide this again or direct us in another way?  

This sure would have been helpful about a year ago as there was total misrepresentation when my son was admitted!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 14:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The link for the tuition refund lawsuit does not work.  Can you provide this again or direct us in another way?  

This sure would have been helpful about a year ago as there was total misrepresentation when my son was admitted!"

Sorry about the dead link.  I'm not sure why it didn't work.  I just found several articles on the tuition lawsuit listed on this other website.  I hope this works: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/WWASParticles.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Boarding school ordered to refund tuition

N.Y. academy has ties to St. George association

By Nicole Warburton
Deseret Morning News
      A New York boarding school for troubled teens that has ties to Utah has been ordered to refund more than $1 million to parents and stop misrepresenting itself, according to officials who Thursday announced the end of an 18-month investigation of the school.
      The investigation by the New York Attorney General's Office concludes that the school ? the Academy at Ivy Ridge ? was "grossly misrepresenting its academic credentials."
      The school had no authority to issue high school diplomas, yet since its opening in 2001, it awarded diplomas to 113 students, according to a statement from Eliot Spitzer, New York attorney general.
      "The Academy at Ivy Ridge marketed itself to parents who were seeking a solution to their teens' behavior problems and who were willing to pay top dollar for the school's programs," Spitzer said in a statement. "What these parents did not know was that Ivy Ridge's educational programs had not been authorized or approved by the State Education Department."
       The investigation also concluded that Ivy Ridge was not accredited, even though the school claimed it was accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools, based in Boise.
      Ivy Ridge, located near the Canadian border, is affiliated with WWASPS or the World Wide Association of Speciality Schools, which is based in St. George and founded by Utah resident Robert Lichfield ? a top contributor to the Republican party at local and national levels.
      As a result of the New York state investigation that probed allegations of fraud and other abuses, Ivy Ridge will be required to issue a 15 percent refund of tuition to each of its 113 graduates. Similar refunds will be offered to about 100 current and former students.
      Tuition at the school is about $50,000 per year.
      Ken Kay, president of WWASPS, says the agreement between New York state and Ivy Ridge has no connection to the services WWASPS provides to the school.
      WWASPS has affiliations with seven boarding schools for troubled teens ? including a facility in Randolph and schools in La Verkin. Several programs, including facilities overseas, have come under scrutiny amid allegations of child abuse.
      The investigation into Ivy Ridge was initiated after state police said a teenager was beaten while being transported to the school. New York State police said the transport service had ties to WWASPS, an allegation the organization has denied.
      Said Kay: "It's not my place to get involved in specific negotiations. They have nothing to do with the World Wide Association and the services we provide."
      "The World Wide Association doesn't deal directly with the kids," he said. "We're a service provider. What always surprises me is, of course, these allegations. . . .. There is nobody in this organization that thinks it's OK to abuse a child mentally or physically in any way."
      A statement by Spitzer had no mention of investigations into alleged child abuse at Ivy Ridge. In recent years, several schools associated with WWASPS have been closed after such allegations.
      In the 2005 legislative session, Utah lawmakers passed a bill instituting tighter controls over boarding schools.
--------------------------------------------------
E-mail: [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 21:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Boarding school ordered to refund tuition

By Nicole Warburton

Deseret Morning News

A New York boarding school for troubled teens that has ties to Utah has been ordered to refund more than $1 million to parents and stop misrepresenting itself, according to officials who Thursday announced the end of an 18-month investigation of the school.

The investigation by the New York Attorney General's Office concludes that the school ? the Academy at Ivy Ridge ? was "grossly misrepresenting its academic credentials."

The school had no authority to issue high school diplomas, yet since its opening in 2001, it awarded diplomas to 113 students, according to a statement from Eliot Spitzer, New York attorney general.

"The Academy at Ivy Ridge marketed itself to parents who were seeking a solution to their teens' behavior problems and who were willing to pay top dollar for the school's programs," Spitzer said in a statement. "What these parents did not know was that Ivy Ridge's educational programs had not been authorized or approved by the State Education Department."

The investigation also concluded that Ivy Ridge was not accredited, even though the school claimed it was accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools, based in Boise.

Ivy Ridge, located near the Canadian border, is affiliated with WWASPS or the World Wide Association of Speciality Schools, which is based in St. George and founded by Utah resident Robert Lichfield ? a top contributor to the Republican party at local and national levels.

As a result of the New York state investigation that probed allegations of fraud and other abuses, Ivy Ridge will be required to issue a 15 percent refund of tuition to each of its 113 graduates. Similar refunds will be offered to about 100 current and former students.

Ken Kay, president of WWASPS, says the agreement between New York state and Ivy Ridge has no connection to the services WWASPS provides to the school.

WWASPS has affiliations with seven boarding schools for troubled teens ? including a facility in Randolph and schools in La Verkin. Several programs, including facilities overseas, have come under scrutiny amid allegations of child abuse.

The investigation into Ivy Ridge was initiated after state police said a teenager was beaten while being transported to the school. New York State police said the transport service had ties to WWASPS, an allegation the organization has denied.

Said Kay: "It's not my place to get involved in specific negotiations. They have nothing to do with the World Wide Association and the services we provide."

"The World Wide Association doesn't deal directly with the kids," he said. "We're a service provider. What always surprises me is, of course, these allegations. . . .. There is nobody in this organization that thinks it's OK to abuse a child mentally or physically in any way."

A statement by Spitzer had no mention of investigations into alleged child abuse at Ivy Ridge. In recent years, several schools associated with WWASPS have been closed after such allegations.

In the 2005 legislative session, Utah lawmakers passed a bill instituting tighter controls over boarding schools.

E-mail: [email protected]

"

It's very interesting that, according to this article, "in the 2005 legislative session, Utah lawmakers passed a bill instituting tighter controls over boarding schools."  One of the things that's so distressing about Hyde is that it hasn't been held accountable by public authorities.  I'd like to know what state officials in Maine and Connecticut would think if they knew details about some of the practices that have been discussed on this website.  Does anyone know whether any state agencies in Maine and Connecticut have authority over Hyde?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 21:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Boarding school ordered to refund tuition

By Nicole Warburton

Deseret Morning News

E-mail: http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE62A/62A02.htm) seems to include schools like Hyde ("does not include a therapeutic school") and spells out specific penalties if there's evidence that regulations have been violated.  The penalties are:

62A-2-112.    Violations -- Penalties.
     If the office finds that a violation has occurred under Section 62A-2-111, it may:
     (1) deny, place conditions on, suspend, or revoke a license, if it finds:
     (a) that there has been a failure to comply with the rules approved by the board; or
     (b) evidence of aiding, abetting, or permitting the commission of any illegal act; or
     (2) restrict or prohibit new admissions to a human services program or facility, if it finds:
     (a) that there has been a failure to comply with rules approved by the board; or
     (b) evidence of aiding, abetting, or permitting the commission of any illegal act in the human services program or facility.

Does anyone know whether there's a similar law in Connecticut or Maine?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »
Hello, I currently work at Hyde School in Maine, what exactly is this place?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »
On 2005-12-03 19:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hello, I currently work at Hyde School in Maine, what exactly is this place? "

I don't understand your question.  Are you asking what this website is?  This website is providing a forum for people to express their opinions about the Hyde School.  What is your position at Hyde?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Thank you, I googled Hyde and I found this site, wasnt exactly sure what it was...As far as my position goes? No need for me to state any further information..Have a great weekend.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
By the way, this Hyde link is an absolute cesspool.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »
On 2005-12-03 19:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thank you, I googled Hyde and I found this site, wasnt exactly sure what it was...As far as my position goes? No need for me to state any further information..Have a great weekend." By the way, this Hyde link is an absolute cesspool.

I wonder why this "anonymous" would come on the board, comment that he has nothing to say and then call this link a "cesspool."  

What does this say about the staff who work at Hyde?  I would think that anyone who is truly interested in debating any of the comments on this board, would be mature and respectful to others who have differing opinions.

I think it is important to keep this board as it is, a place to inform and educate!  If you aren't interested in this "anonymous" then go back to your Cult at Hyde!

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
On 2005-12-03 19:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thank you, I googled Hyde and I found this site, wasnt exactly sure what it was...As far as my position goes? No need for me to state any further information..Have a great weekend."

Uh huh.  You just googled it.  That's why the administration had a faculty member contact me when they figured out who I am.  Where's your integrity?    But since the board is such a "cesspool," I'm sure you won't bother to post here anymore.  Good riddance!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
On 2005-12-03 19:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"By the way, this Hyde link is an absolute cesspool."

To parents who are considering Hyde School for their child: This little exchange between someone who claims to be a Hyde staff member and several people who post on this site is typical of what you can expect if you enroll at Hyde.  Notice the Hyde staff person's tone and language: "By the way, this Hyde link is an absolute cesspool."

This is exactly the sort of arrogant, dismissive, patronizing, judgmental tone you can expect to find at Hyde.  While some staff people don't stoop to this level of inappropriate behavior, I've encountered quite a few Hyde staff people who come across exactly like this.  When they encounter a comment or behavior they don't like, they're quick to judge, condemn, point fingers, and label.

In fact, this website is not a cesspool.  I encourage you to take time to read many of the postings.  Although some of the postings are not thoughtful or helpful, there's an incredible number of informative, thoughtful postings.  To describe this as a cesspool is the height of (typical Hyde) arrogance.

If you're comfortable with this sort of behavior, Hyde may be the right school for you and your family.  However, if you prefer a school where staff don't usually behave this way, and instead are supportive, responsive, helpful, and appropriately firm in a constructive way, spend time finding a well informed, principled educational consultant.  There are many terrific schools out there.  Hyde is NOT one of them, as this Hyde staff person's comments attest.