Author Topic: Cults  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
Wouldn't this website constitute a cult following?  You all, for the most part, have one shared agenda, one shared theme, one shared past experience that makes you want to convert others to see or believe what you believe. If they don't believe then they are being influenced by another "cult" to make them not see YOUR point of view.  Contradictory or is everyone a part of cults or cliques despite not wanting to be?  Can you have belong to more than one cult?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
No one is held against their will or manipulated with fear to stay or buy some dogma.
Big difference.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 11:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

No one is held against their will or manipulated with fear to stay or buy some dogma.

Big difference.

"

But as described here, not all cults do that sort of thing.  

However, fear IS promoted here by describing alleged governmental conspiracies and how we should fight the power OR ELSE.  It's the same fear the government uses to attempt to scare people from using drugs and it is effective both ways.  What goes around, apparently, comes around.  Fair is fair, I suppose, but let's not say that fear tactics are not used here.  Even describing horrific past events that happened to some here is both an attempt at healing and an attempt at scaring people to be on the watch for a straight-like cult that could control all of society.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 11:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-30 11:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Big difference.

"

But as described here, not all cults do that sort of thing.  

However, fear IS promoted here by describing alleged governmental conspiracies and how we should fight the power OR ELSE.  It's the same fear the government uses to attempt to scare people from using drugs and it is effective both ways.  What goes around, apparently, comes around.  Fair is fair, I suppose, but let's not say that fear tactics are not used here.  Even describing horrific past events that happened to some here is both an attempt at healing and an attempt at scaring people to be on the watch for a straight-like cult that could control all of society.

"

I see this as a real stretch and a generally unfair assumption for the sake of wanting to play the devils advocate.

This is a message board, a forum for posting written thoughts and opinions.  The moment your screensaver kicks in on your machine, this place has zero to do with your reality if you choose.

Its like saying the teletubbies are a childrens cult because they attempt to encourage laughter and other warm fuzzy feelings. Or your parents are leaders of a curfew cult for demanding that you go to sleep before 9pm every night.

You need to rethink what you want to define as a cult, like Ginger mentioned.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
See, technically you are a follower of Ginger.  You tend to side quite often if not always with Ginger and her assessment of things.  Has her agenda influenced you or did you have the same agenda and happen to find this site?  You're preaching the same ideas as her, thereby perpetuating the agenda (i.e. cult).

This website is far more than an alternate reality.  There has been organized physical efforts and demonstrations from this website.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
If society, preschool and all that is a cult, we need another word for Straight and the other child torture institutions.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 13:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"See, technically you are a follower of Ginger.  You tend to side quite often if not always with Ginger and her assessment of things.  Has her agenda influenced you or did you have the same agenda and happen to find this site?  You're preaching the same ideas as her, thereby perpetuating the agenda (i.e. cult).

This website is far more than an alternate reality.  There has been organized physical efforts and demonstrations from this website."

I dunno Ginger, havent we ever disagreed?  :roll:

I think you are technically in the cult of "Cult Paranoia".  Read the rest of my last post to clarify what it is beleive in Anon, rather than the last line.

And I STILL think this whole thing is a serious stretch.  Your are effectively avoiding real and valid discourse on the definition of cults in favor of paranoid deconstructions.

I said this site is not part of your reality if you CHOOSE. Pay attention here, stay with me.
[ This Message was edited by: Carmel on 2005-11-30 13:31 ]
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Cults
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 10:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Wouldn't this website constitute a cult following?  

Well yeah, in the sense that Robert Anton Wilson has a cult following. Except, of course, that he has, by far and away, more readers and fans than this site probably ever will. And he's the only author of his work, while this site consists of all kinds of contributions--from the droll and morose to hysterically comical satire--from numerous writers; you among them.

You all, for the most part, have one shared agenda, one shared theme, one shared past experience that makes you want to convert others to see or believe what you believe.

Then how come we can't have so much as a weenie roast w/o nearly coming close to blows and restraining orders? I dare you to try and find one point of consensus among Fornits users. Ga' head. I dare ya! Double dare ya!

Harmlessly passing your time in the grasslands away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
you better watchout,
there may be dogs about.
I've looked over Jordan, and have seen.
Things are not what they seem.

--Roger Waters 1977

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Oh god, Carmel, I can't remember and I won't remember what we used to fight about. I vaguely remember not liking you much early on. And I'm pretty sure it was mutual. But how can either of us be sure who's following whom? I mean, I can't think of anything offhand about which I really disagree with you strongly these days. But who's to say who's the cult leader here? Wouldn't it be a riot if the plebes finally found out that, really, they're not following me, I'm just the Judas Goat leading them to follow you?

To err is human; to forgive is simply not our policy.

-- MIT Assasination Club slogan

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
Yeah see? Ginger is just my lackey! :wave:

I feel like Plankton in the Spongebob Movie.
 :razz:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »

"See, technically you are a follower of Ginger.  You tend to side quite often if not always with Ginger and her assessment of things.  Has her agenda influenced you or did you have the same agenda and happen to find this site?  You're preaching the same ideas as her, thereby perpetuating the agenda (i.e. cult).

This website is far more than an alternate reality.  There has been organized physical efforts and demonstrations from this website."

Anon, check this out, please

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... 3&forum=43

Now, why is it so damned hard for you guys to believe that we might be competent, clear thinking adults who's views and opinions are valid? Having an uncomfortable boute of cognitive dissonance?

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
http://smack.accesscard.org/index/misc/atheist/' target='_new'>Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
On 2005-11-30 20:51:00, Antigen wrote:

"

Now, why is it so damned hard for you guys to believe that we might be competent, clear thinking adults who's views and opinions are valid? Having an uncomfortable boute of cognitive dissonance?

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
http://smack.accesscard.org/index/misc/atheist/' target='_new'>Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"

I never said anything about your views or opinions not being valid.  In fact they are very valid and needed in many respects.  My point is that we all belong to many "cults" and we all have our own agendas that overlap a great deal.  We need views like yours, and yes even yours Carmel ( :smile: ), and others that may differ to balance this country out.  Personally, I don't think if the country was run by all of your views that we would be very safe as a country.  On the other hand, it is clear we are not as safe as we could be with this moron as our president and his (or his dad's) agenda.  Balance.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 05:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-30 20:51:00, Antigen wrote:

"

"

I never said anything about your views or opinions not being valid.  In fact they are very valid and needed in many respects.  My point is that we all belong to many "cults" and we all have our own agendas that overlap a great deal.  We need views like yours, and yes even yours Carmel ( :smile: ), and others that may differ to balance this country out.  Personally, I don't think if the country was run by all of your views that we would be very safe as a country.  On the other hand, it is clear we are not as safe as we could be with this moron as our president and his (or his dad's) agenda.  Balance.

"

I think this makes sense.  However, I still think that you were squirming around this issue trying to create agitation.  

If this is how you really feel Anon, you should have just stated so to begin with.  Trying to manipulate the discussion into a revelation of your "point" is not needed.

I appreciate your approval in deeming my views "necessary", but wouldnt that make me a cult follower of you according to your viewpoint?  See, its things like this that I dont see as relevent. Just because I agree with Ginger or you or anyone does not make me their follower, by way of your own definition of balance Anon.

We can discuss things and agree/disagree without being part of any following.  There is no need to force the issue abstractly until it ceases to be meaningful.

[ This Message was edited by: Carmel on 2005-12-01 06:28 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
So are we like into an intense debate here or som3thin'?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cults
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 06:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"So are we like into an intense debate here or som3thin'?"

No, it's just Carmel taking herself too seriously again.  It's just a discussion the anon put out there.  If you don't want to talk about it Carmel, don't. Just shut up and get back on your soapbox.