Author Topic: HYDE SCHOOL Questions about Finances  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
HYDE SCHOOL Questions about Finances
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 10:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-30 06:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That's fine.  Let them make their money, but stop lying about the financial condition of the schools and themselves to get more from the parents/alumni!"

And the lies again are?  

If Hyde only has a few years operating expenses and many schools have 2x, 3x or more, where is the lie?

And what if their infrastructure needs $50M of critical repairs and upgrades, again, where is the lie?

Anyway, given that all this information is PUBLIC in the first place, I just don't see the lie, so please fill us in!

Anyone remotely familiar with the finances of corporations knows that organizations can have a substantial asset base, significant revenues and still be financially troubled (or stated differently, in constant need), if indeed, that is what they are saying.

"

Put on your glasses. It is stated in this post what the lie is.  I agree with the poster that the Gauld's seem to cry poor mouth at every Family Weekend! This is not the case and as you have Because you challenged us to look at other schools and compare, (on Guidestar.org) I did just that.  Hyde's expenses for fundraising, travel, conventions is much higher on a percentage basis then the ones that I have looked up so far.  This is not to say that there aren't other Non profits whose expenses are excessive.

I am glad all of this has come out whether we disagree or not.  It is another way for prospective parents to look at ALL the research and make a smart decision on where to place their teen.

Good luck to all of you.  This board is terrific!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

"

"That's fine.  Let them make their money, but stop lying about the financial condition of the schools and themselves to get more from the parents/alumni!"

And the lies again are?  

If Hyde only has a few years operating expenses and many schools have 2x, 3x or more, where is the lie?

And what if their infrastructure needs $50M of critical repairs and upgrades, again, where is the lie?

Anyway, given that all this information is PUBLIC in the first place, I just don't see the lie, so please fill us in!

Anyone remotely familiar with the finances of corporations knows that organizations can have a substantial asset base, significant revenues and still be financially troubled (or stated differently, in constant need), if indeed, that is what they are saying.

"

Ok, lets turn this back on you to prove some of your statements.  

Where do you get your info that Hyde only has a few years operating expenses and many schools have 2x, 3x or more.  Show us your proof not only about Hyde, but the "many schools" you are talking about.  If you are right, then my hat is off to you.

You say that because this is public, you don't see the lie.  Is it truthful when Joe Gauld says to the whole student population that he is not a rich man and never will be because of the path that he has chosen?  Is it true that the school is in dire need of funds?  Please show us the proof.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 12:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

And the lies again are?  

"

Ok, lets turn this back on you to prove some of your statements.  

Where do you get your info that Hyde only has a few years operating expenses and many schools have 2x, 3x or more.  Show us your proof not only about Hyde, but the "many schools" you are talking about.  If you are right, then my hat is off to you.

You say that because this is public, you don't see the lie.  Is it truthful when Joe Gauld says to the whole student population that he is not a rich man and never will be because of the path that he has chosen?  Is it true that the school is in dire need of funds?  Please show us the proof."

Um, you or someone here asserted the "families" had made a "fortune".  I do not claim to have information that they don't, nor am I going to try and disprove something that you choose to believe--you can believe whatever you want.  But I do know that you can't make any real conclusions on the weak information provided.  The original poster needs to prove their assertions, and if you can't see that what they have provided is far from even suspect, well what can I say.  I look forward to your other posts on UFOs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »
The proof seems to be on Guidestar.org for Hyde Woodstock, Hyde DC and Hyde Bath.  There is no doubt that there are tremendous ependitures that are suspect on the 990 form!

As other posters have said, this is just the icing on the cake and is not as important as the neglect that exists at the school/program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
On 2005-11-30 16:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There is no doubt that there are tremendous ependitures that are suspect on the 990 form!"

Such as?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
To be honest,  I can't believe the headmasters' income is so low at Hyde.  I am surprised they make less than 100K.

Vanity Fair just did a report on St. Paul's old headmaster.  He was making $520,000 per year.  However, his contract also included:  Housing, membership to a yacht club, and even tuition for his childrens' colleges.

A few years ago I read in Money that it is rutine for a headmaster in a New England Boarding school to make over $250,000

Has anyone used that "what do they make" website to look at other boarding school headmasters' income? I am sure 90% of them will be making  more than the Bath and Woodtsock headmasters.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
On 2006-01-15 06:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"To be honest,  I can't believe the headmasters' income is so low at Hyde.  I am surprised they make less than 100K.

Vanity Fair just did a report on St. Paul's old headmaster.  He was making $520,000 per year.  However, his contract also included:  Housing, membership to a yacht club, and even tuition for his childrens' colleges.

A few years ago I read in Money that it is rutine for a headmaster in a New England Boarding school to make over $250,000

Has anyone used that "what do they make" website to look at other boarding school headmasters' income? I am sure 90% of them will be making  more than the Bath and Woodtsock headmasters.

"

I don't begrudge the Hyde administrators their salaries.  My impression is that their salaries are not out of line.

However, I am overwhelmed with concern about the way the administrators run the school.  That's the issue.  What I have seen and heard about Hyde during the past few years leaves me feeling more and more concerned, angry, perplexed, and disappointed.  There are so many problems with the way Hyde is run, its methods, and its ways of handling troubled teens.  For every "success" story at Hyde (the kind that the school likes to publicize in its public relations material) there are countless disasters and instances where Hyde students are harmed terribly.  How honest are Hyde administrators about the numbers of families that leave the school because the students aren't getting the help they need, the quality of the teaching staff is questionable, the staff often mistreat students and parents?  How honest are Hyde administrators about the school's drop-out rate?  Parents' complaints?  Lawsuits?  Those things are much more important to me than the size of the administrators' salaries.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
Lets cry about it...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
On 2005-11-29 20:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This is exact information taken from the 2003 "990" Form of the US Tax Return for Hyde Schools.  You can see the full Form in it's entirety by going to http://www.guidestar.org.  Anyone can sign up to view the 990's without any charge.  Type in Hyde School Woodstock and Hyde School Bath.  You can also look at Hyde School DC, which I did not post.  Also not posted is the total income from other sources!  

Do the math!  The "Families" are making a fortune!  I take back everything I have thought of the Gauld Families.  They are very bright and we are the suckers!!

The truth will set you free Malcolm, Joe, and the rest of you!  BTW, your eyes are not deceiving you and there are no typographical errors.

Bath Campus

Total Revenue      $13,360,916

Total Expenses       8,750,110

Excess end of year   4,610,806

Net Assets          18,750,422

Travel Expenses        $306,240

Conventions,meetings    180,315

Woodstock Campus

Total Revenue       $8,460,110

Total Expenses       7,917,536

Excess end of year     542,574

Net Assets           9,297,602

Travel Expenses        $165,644

Conventions, meetings   150,024"

These figures are truly amazing.  I have never seen a school where they do so much fundraising and crying the blues about how little the staff makes and how the only reason they are there is to make a difference in the world.  This sure looks to me like they also do very well financially, whether deserved or not!  Why not be honest about how well you are doing rather than begging parents, kids and teachers for their hard earned money after they've already paid $50,000 to go to a school where there is so little education?  Why not spend some of this windfall on better teachers who actually have teaching degrees and on professional counselors.  The food could certainly use a little help too!!  Don't we deserve this after paying such a high tuition?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
Never seen this before.  Take a look at Hidden Lake Academy.  $84,000.00 PER YEAR, minimum stay 24 months. So, $168,000.00 MINIMUM, but more than likely your kid will not be "ready" to leave at the end of two years.  Some stay FOUR YEARS PLUS POST-GRAD ($336,000.00 + undefined "post grad")

You got lucky by comparison.  Same results (shitty education, not prepared for the real world, no therapy, etc), but laid out less cash for it.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
On 2006-01-22 06:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Never seen this before.  Take a look at Hidden Lake Academy.  $84,000.00 PER YEAR, minimum stay 24 months. So, $168,000.00 MINIMUM, but more than likely your kid will not be "ready" to leave at the end of two years.  Some stay FOUR YEARS PLUS POST-GRAD ($336,000.00 + undefined "post grad")

You got lucky by comparison.  Same results (shitty education, not prepared for the real world, no therapy, etc), but laid out less cash for it."

Lucky?  Lucky that Hyde is only $50,000 per year plus a mandatory donation based on what they think you should "donate?"  You think that by giving another horrible example, (hidden Lake) is the way to prove that Hyde is better?  Get real!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
On 2006-01-22 14:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-22 06:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Never seen this before.  Take a look at Hidden Lake Academy.  $84,000.00 PER YEAR, minimum stay 24 months. So, $168,000.00 MINIMUM, but more than likely your kid will not be "ready" to leave at the end of two years.  Some stay FOUR YEARS PLUS POST-GRAD ($336,000.00 + undefined "post grad")

You got lucky by comparison.  Same results (shitty education, not prepared for the real world, no therapy, etc), but laid out less cash for it."

"

Lucky?  Lucky that Hyde is only $50,000 per year plus a mandatory donation based on what they think you should "donate?"  You think that by giving another horrible example, (hidden Lake) is the way to prove that Hyde is better?  Get real!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
They have another way of dealing with finances. they accept kids with mental health issues, then say the environment is unsafe, insist that the kid leaves and then keeps the tuition.  What do they do with the vacant space? Probably enroll another unfortunate kid.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
I would like to know how your case goes. My daughter was told to leave in early November and they also didn't think they had to return any money even though a local therapist and pyschiatrist also recommended it.  The contract reads that if the parents or child (who is a minor) withdraws, then they keep the money. We did not withdraw. We begged to stay.  After several letters etc, we did receive partial refund, but the stress was incredible.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »
On 2006-04-25 20:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would like to know how your case goes. My daughter was told to leave in early November and they also didn't think they had to return any money even though a local therapist and pyschiatrist also recommended it.  The contract reads that if the parents or child (who is a minor) withdraws, then they keep the money. We did not withdraw. We begged to stay.  After several letters etc, we did receive partial refund, but the stress was incredible."

If they kick you out you should get your tuition back.  This same thing has happened to many people at Hyde and some have fought back.