Author Topic: Dating other survivors. (insert scream here)  (Read 3788 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Dating other survivors. (insert scream here)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
I dated myself. We've just gotten back together for the 443rd time.

Did you have to get yourself drunk, as usual?  :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
Naw - I stick stictly to the paint huffing and sitting on my hand. Aka the perfect stranger.

Ok - I even creeped myself out on that one.

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »
Naw - I stick stictly to the paint huffing and sitting on my hand. Aka the perfect stranger.

Ok - I even creeped myself out on that one.

Wow. The things that must go on in your head. I'd love to sit in there for about a half hour. Or maybe not. But I think I probably would.
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 01:45:45 PM »
My shrink said my head is like a tanning booth that's been freshly painted (on the inside). He wouldn't advise more than a 10 minute session in there.

I hear there's a great sushi place in there and I think just down the street at Moe's Tavern happy hour goes from 4 pm to midnight.

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »
My shrink said my head is like a tanning booth that's been freshly painted (on the inside). He wouldn't advise more than a 10 minute session in there.

I hear there's a great sushi place in there and I think just down the street at Moe's Tavern happy hour goes from 4 pm to midnight.

Well that's going to take far longer than ten minutes. I think I'll take my chances, I love sushi. And happy hour from 4-12, please. Sold.
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
lorrispickelmire wrote:
I think it would be easier than trying to explain your nightmares and trust issues to someone who cannot understand and looks at you as if you had just grown another head when you try to explain it. At least another survivor knows that you aren't full of shit.

Forgive me for sticking my nose in on this topic, not being a survivor, but I think it's important to be in as healthy a relationship as possible, whether the person is a survivor or not. Doesn't seem to me that "survivor or not" is a helpful litmus test in the grand scheme of things.

They say that emotional baggage is okay, as long as it is properly labeled.

An emotionally healthy person/partner who is not a survivor might be shocked at what you tell them about these schools--it is truly shocking, after all--but that doesn't mean he or she is unable to learn and cope.

When I talk to people about the situation with my niece at BCA, some say things like, "That's insane--I would never send a child of mine away like that!" And then I'm aware how crazy I sound when I get around to saying, "It's based on cult practices of isolation from family, and obedience to the program." But to my surprise, many people are full of questions, offer sympathy and want to know what they can do to help.

So people may be able to handle more than you think. This kind of loops back to a discussion Castle started about "passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive" etc., and difficulty asking for what one wants or saying what is on one's mind. See http://http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=24192.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.