Author Topic: NATSAP is such a joke  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« on: October 02, 2005, 02:57:00 AM »
http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/nat ... iller.html

I just cant get over NATSAP's- of which MMS is part of- objections to regulation.  Or rather, their desire to slash and cut some of the valuable provision like claiming b/c it would be an administrative nightmare, state standard from which a kid comes should not apply.  BS, that's not the truth, it's b/c they would have to change their strategy. Most kids, I have seen, are sent from Ca that seem to be more protective of kids from abuse.  
If NATSAP facilities had to follow these guidlines they would have to treat their kids well, with dignity and respect...hmm... there's a foreign concept.

"NATSAP would like to offer our resources to work with you on ways to approach the problem of defining the proper role of government and regulation for the private pay market. "  

So ridiculous- yes, we can not and should not let the best interest of kids get in the way of the private markets...  After all, our country is all about markets now, isn't it- can't interfere in the markets now can we.  and we call this freedom.  
freedom for who?  to do what?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
Yes.  Yes, it is.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
NAPSAP is what as known as a trade organization ... and yeah, it is a joke that parents think their kids are somehow safer because NAPSAP gives the thumbs up to some program.  This is an example of self-regulation and why many are advocating for federal regulations to stop trade organizations from making and playing by their own rules.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
With all due respect, this is not what is known as self-regulation. NATSAP has a mess of rules and regs, but they have no authority and don't enforce anything. Even if a program belongs to NATSAP, no one ever checks to see if they follow the rules. There are actually lots of examples of true self-regulation that works really well. NATSAP isn't one of them. NATSAP is just a well-established lip-service outfit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
examples where self- regulation works?  for instance?  I'm curious if only b/c I would think that there would be a clear conflict of interest at any attempts to self-regulate the industry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »
On 2005-10-06 15:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"examples where self- regulation works?  for instance?  I'm curious if only b/c I would think that there would be a clear conflict of interest at any attempts to self-regulate the industry."

American Bar Association. American Medical Association. All academic accrediting bodies. All medical accrediting bodies.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
On 2005-10-06 15:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"examples where self- regulation works?  for instance?  I'm curious if only b/c I would think that there would be a clear conflict of interest at any attempts to self-regulate the industry."

The conflict comes in NOT regulating. In most professions with self-regulation, there is some sort of government oversight. The good actors in any of these get it: if you do a good job regulating yourself, you get to keep doing it, and it actually helps everone to  A. Do a better job at their profession and B. Stay solvent. Let's face it: doing a poor job eventually will run you into the ground. I'm not suggesting we wait until then with something this important, but it is a point.    :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
I'm thinking more of trade organization, that are supposed to abide by ethical standards that, particularly, in many instances, would not be cost effective.

As I see it, NATSAP is like say Nike and...Gap (I know there was a lawsuit- but doubtful they have changed their sweatshop ways) stating they will attempt to treat their workers ethically, but w/o 'teeth' to enforce and a clear conflict of interest, as I understand it,given that its not cost effective to do so.  Given their industry and this industry, any industry, are very hesistant to hurt their bottom line...unless it's seen as thrwating future problems, eg. bad for their image and could result in loss of business...

So, as I see it, this is very much like the finincial cost involved in hiring qualified workers in this particular industry-or, in this instance the cost of becoming a qualified 'headmaster' who determines the course of the school, its' psuedo-therapeutic philosophy, and runs groups.
...I think John Mercer is just now getting his Phd after 'treating' hundreds of girls because he forsaw his interests threatened, and NOT becuase of any desire to create a more ethical environment by actually providing kids with REAL therapy.

I think he also know that the way he has treated many of us was wrong and is back-peddling.  He also is well respected by NATSAP, all of this indicates to me that NATSAP is a Joke!  easily swayed by some cowboy boot & hat wearing, ego driven, smooth talking... con man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
***NATSAP has a mess of rules and regs

Not technically rules and regs. They have 'Ethical Guidelines' that programs 'Agree' to comply with as members.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=0#115771
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#53026

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 01:52:00 AM »
While some service providers, including WWASPS, have publicly supported moderate state-based regulation, the industry group National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs has contended that bureaucratic monitoring could hinder innovation, and that the government should defer to the industry?s own internally developed guidelines.

But Robert Friedman, chair of the Department of Child and Family Studies at the University of South Florida, warned that given the evidence of mistreatment, "there?s a danger that if left to self-regulate? there may be the illusion that there?s adequate accountability. And that, in some cases, could be worse than at least not having any illusion."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
NATSAP is such a joke
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »