Author Topic: Ran into  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ran into
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »
I went to a Dr.'s office this week (my first time there), and when I was called back, the nurse was an old LIFER who immediately recognized me - and I, her.

She was happy to see me, and very friendly.  She talked and talked about those days, and how she so wished she had kept in touch with more people.  She mentioned all the fun memories she had, and said she wished there had been a yearbook made (somehow).  We chatted about those mutual people we knew, and who we'd run into over the years.

She gave me her number and asked me to call so we could go to lunch or something sometime.  It was so good to see her and talk.

Funny.  She never once said ANYTHING about abuse, torture or brainwashing. She was all smiles and fond memories.  She works successfully in the medical field (has for about 8 yrs), has a nice family.  No signs of PTSD.  HOW can that BE?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ran into
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »
LIFE wasn't really abusive to me. I mean we got to play games in the main hall. Do artwork. It was more like Kindergarden. Glad to hear you met another friend.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Ran into
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »
Three types of LIFE supporters I've run into:

1:  "I saw nothink" (insert Schultz accent - from Hogan's Heroes)

2:  "Well yeah, it was tough - they had to be.  It wasn't supposed to be a country club."

3:  "Nothing happened to me, therefore, nothing happened.

This pissing match has been overdone more than Petermann's abuse of AquaNet.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ran into
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
well, SOMEBODY needs to post here who isn't on the "abused band-wagon".

It's you poor torture victims who claim the abuse was WIDE SPREAD.  Most of who don't even know WHAT abuse really is.  Just a bunch of know-it-all teenagers, who need something to bitch about as an adult, and blame all their problems on Peterman, or anyone else they want.

Helena Handbasket should stay JUST there.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Ran into
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
On 2005-11-11 16:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

well, SOMEBODY needs to post here who isn't on the "abused band-wagon".

It's you poor torture victims who claim the abuse was WIDE SPREAD.  Most of who don't even know WHAT abuse really is.  Just a bunch of know-it-all teenagers, who need something to bitch about as an adult, and blame all their problems on Peterman, or anyone else they want.

Helena Handbasket should stay JUST there."

What gives you the right to tell me where I should be?  Can't stand anyone's opinion except your own?

So tell us, so we can all be perfect clear here:  What is abuse?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Ran into
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
Look, I'm sure you've heard how messed up the Seed was, right? I mean, that's established fact, isn't it? You probably even heard about it while you were in LIFE or during the brief time while you were still associating w/ 7th steppers while surreptitiously chewing your own ankle off to slip away.

And yet there are still people bouncing around who view the entire experience in glowing terms. Don't take my word for it, though, just browse on over to the Seed forum and look at posts by Thom, John Underwood, Ft. Lauderdale and a few others.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
--Albert Einstein

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Ran into
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
Care to enlighten us or exlain this?

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =40#148540
 That's funny. When I went to visit the LIFE program around 83 or 84 I distinctly remember two people being 'motivated'. The didn't want to and the kids on either side of him grabbed their arms and made them motivate.....hard!!! Shit, I thought one of their shoulders might dislocate. Seriously, it was that bad. I saw this pesonally, with my own two little eyes. And this was just one day that I dropped in. I was visiting a friend in Sarasota and she wanted to stop and see a few people. No calls ahead of time to warn them and say that we were coming by. Wonder what happened on a daily basis or did I just come one the ONE bad day???? Oh, and my friend must have just come in on the bad days too....

That friend visited LIFE between 82 and 83 (she was a Straight grad and wholeheartedly believed in the premise of the program and AA and all that (needless to say we're no longer friends, but I digress... ) but was abhored at the things that she saw going on IN LIFE and she reported similar things to what I saw and much, much worse. The degradation and humiliation, the isolation, the restraints (yes, they still used the 5 point restraints...for a while at least.

If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.

--President Bill Clinton

t. Pete Straight
early 80s