Author Topic: I don't like that word, "dwelling".  (Read 994 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I don't like that word, "dwelling".
« on: September 29, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
It's a rather yucky word. It's too hard to say. From start to finish it is a clumsy word. First the dw. That takes too much effort, and it sounds dumb, like "duh". only worse, like you have a speech impediment. The shortened "eh" sound in the middle, it is not one of the prettier vocalizations of the English language. So, you've made past the awkard "dweh" part, then add the "ll", well, it's just not where anyone would think you'd end up. The "ll" puts you down at the back of the throat again. And THEN, as if things weren't bad enough already, you still have that "ing" to get through. You have to decide, am I gonna take it into "een", or pronounce that "ing"? Should I know this? Did I miss something in the second grade when they were teaching pronunciation? So, when all is said and done, quite literally, I really don't feel all that great.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »
try being a city planner and not use the word "dwelling".  It is  dang near impossible.  Actually, I like dwelling, as in a certain zoning district allows x dwelling units per acre.  "Dwelling" rolls off the  tounge better than "houses".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
No, see "houses" is an okay word. It's kind of funny, even if it is just a little bit tricky to go from the "ess" to the "zzz" sound at the end. But you really kind of fall into it with the "how" on the front there. "How" ends up being improved by the "sizz" on the end, it turns out to be the kind of fun little syllable you might want to say more than once, just for the fun of it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
This is the best thread ever.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »
Little boxes
On the hillside...

The Christian faith from the beginning, is sacrifice: the sacrifice of all freedom, all pride, all self-confidence of spirit; it is at the same time subjection, a self-derision, and self-mutilation.
--Freidrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

dragonfly

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »
Did Jerry Seinfeld start this thread?

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
On 2005-09-30 06:50:00, dragonfly wrote:

""Little boxes made of ticky-tacky....."

Ticky-tacky is the substance that holds shit together, they say atoms are pretty much nothing at all with the occasional proton, electron flying around, held together by some mysterious thang. But it's not so mysterious, it's just ticky-tacky. Ticky-tacky is not perceptible to the human nervous system, now this part I'm not making up. 90% of the mass in the universe is made up of ticky-tacky, which we cannot detect with our senses, but scientists can proove it's existance mathmatically and detect it with some other type of scientific detection device. It's all over the place, in everything, moveing through everything and we can't see, hear, smell, taste nor touch it.
"

:nworthy:

It all makes sense now...

Wow.

When a well-packaged web of lies
has been sold gradually to the masses
over generations, the truth will seem
utterly preposterous and its speaker
a raving lunatic.      

--Dresden James

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
I started it. I still don't like that word. You know what I do like though, those threads that start out with some straightling saying, like "stop dwelling in the past", it is funny shit watching all the newcomers motivate to get called on and scream the brainwashing out of their heads. That's some funny shit parallels the excorsist. Lunatics possessed. It's pretty funny how our parents like totally dropped us off for some long term babysitting. It's pretty funny all those Hare Krishnas with the boogedy-boogedy look in their eyes. It's pretty funny.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Honestly, it's not a big deal. "Dwelling" is another way of saying "getting stuck in" and a lot of us - who for the first time in 15-20 some odd years are finding out that we were tortured and brainwashed have got to grieve. The first stage of grief is denial, which has lasted many of us a decade or two because of our parents, teachers, media, clergy and/or ourselves. The second stage of grief is ANGER, and it's very easy (and typical) to get stuck in this one for a while... The trick is finding your way through it to acceptance.

It's then when you may be able to use your own experience to help others.

That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism.
--Thomas Henry Huxley, English biologist

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 08:23:00 AM »

It's then when you may be able to use your own experience to help others.
"

Kinda like the 7th step eh?