Author Topic: Service to others  (Read 35244 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
I already offered as much. My own experiences having known a number of openly gay staff members during my time there, as well as the testimony of others spanning almost the entire history of the school.

There has always been a number of openly gay staff members. If you add them all up it makes for a large number.

Now again your turn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
Service to others
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
Which ones were gay Robert? I want their names as proof

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmm lets see if I cant offer a few up from different times that would work.

Whatshis name the director of Education. Real tall skinny guy.

Amy-I believe she was an intake counsoler.

Shelly-one of the peer group counsolers.

The black science teacher.  

Cant forget the Buch.

Is five enough? I didnt have time to ask more people.

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »
Hmmm lets see....5 out of....how many employees over a 12 yr period??? Yea, thats a majority for sure

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
According to their website staff list, and who I know who still works there from when I was there also, only 3 are gay. The ones I know from back then or from other ways are:

Dr. B
Bill Gray
Amanda Gray
Jim Baker
Cheryl Ballow
Denny Beatty
Kristin Bell
Kees De Vente
Kathy Duff
Pam Garrett
Jeff Holloway (I think)
John McMillan
Lee Parham
Corky Prow
Richard Prow
David Reifenberger
Tina Roper
Bert Sanford
Gary Sorensen
And some others look familiar and might have been there shortly before I left as well.

As far as the ones who have left that I knew, only 2 of those were gay. Some of those names of people I knew fairly well or were at least acquainted with while I was there that are gone now were Rusty and Angie Ray, Mike and Pam Witherspoon, Greg and Julie Lindsey, John and Mary Ann Semley, Arnold Zilberkant, Cheryl (I think she is at Ridge Creek now), Robert in Maintenance, Meredith Burns, Kristin Illis, Steve *****, Patrick Reich(he was a high school classmate of mine), Lonnie in Maintenance (good friend of my father in law, died of cancer)from Ridge Creek, the former headmaster that used to be over Camp Frank Merrill, Tony Garcia, etc etc. Those are all I can recall right now. So...of all those people Ive known over the years I can only recall...5 total that were gay.

Once again, hardly a "majority".

[Admin note: Steve's last name dedacted w/ permission of the poster.]

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
The five I listed are simply off the top of my head there are many others and you know this.

The point still remains though how is HLA claims to treat homosexuality yet a large number (or any number) of the employees are themselves gay.

Namley the owner.

Offline SHH

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005, 03:58:00 AM »
Once again Robert, they dont "claim to treat homosexuality" as a disorder to be fixed. They treat it as an issue that should be discussed within the realm of accepting who you are and dealing with coming out issues and guilt and other things having to do with all that. It might have listed that somewhere as a topic to be dealt with therapeutically but thats not the same thing as fixing it.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
On 2005-12-13 00:58:00, SHH wrote:

"Once again Robert, they dont "claim to treat homosexuality" as a disorder to be fixed. They treat it as an issue that should be discussed within the realm of accepting who you are and dealing with coming out issues and guilt and other things having to do with all that. It might have listed that somewhere as a topic to be dealt with therapeutically but thats not the same thing as fixing it. "

Oh but they did didnt they? Further you have failed to address the fact that they often tried to make children believe they were gay even if they were not or force the ones who were gay out of the closet before they were ready. Also here we have an example of a student who was sent there to be cured of gayness.

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=80

If HLA doesnt treat homosexuality why would they accept him?

Also again since they did claim to treat it how do they rationalize it with a gay owner and many many gay employees?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
Posted by a physician in another thread...

"My experience with Hidden Lake Academy was also distressing.

In my opinion, and the opinions of the six other physicians in my practice who followed my HLA misadventure with me, HLA is a predator whose prey is the horrified parents of disturbed teens. It is an institution of opportunity, bringing home its bottom line at the expense of the desperate, frazzled families it exploits.

By the time most parents are introduced to HLA, they've already been through a costly and demoralizing gauntlet of police stations, court appearances, counselor visits, psychiatric evaluations...even hospital visits.

To say they are desperate is an understatement. They are trying to keep their families from self-destructing. In most cases, the only option is turning the child out onto the streets: most insurance policies won't cover mental health care, and even if a family is lucky enough to have good coverage, it is limited to short, individual events. Deeply needed inpatient care is rarely an option for most of these families.

So even considering a modality such as a therapeutic boarding school is a true extravagance. Actually sending the student may mean mortgaging a home, selling it, or even bancruptcy.

Enter Hidden Lake and its ilk.

I was asked by the parents of a young teen to evaluate HLA by its Web site. What stood out to me even more than the philosophy that medical therapy was discouraged were the many typographical errors and careless mistakes on nearly every page of the site. While my own writing is not perfect, I am not registered as a boarding school, responsible for the education of children, presumably overflowing with teachers more than capable of proofreading the very materials provided to the public for the purpose of attracting business.

When I brought my concerns to the attention to the school, they were received with, well, less than warm gratitude. My comments to HLA were meant to be constructive. I was gracious and self-effacing in my original letter because the last thing I wanted was to offend the school. Clearly such niceties were a waste of effort.

Given that the parents are expected to pay upwards of seven thousand dollars per month for the privilege of sending their child to a therapeutic boarding school, I actually expected a minimum of civility. None was evident.

My credentials were questioned?this from an institution whose methods are questionable, at best, from a medical (and psychiatric, I might add) point of view.

Fast forward a few months...and imagine how surprised I was to come across the story of the parent in the previous posts. Am I shocked HLA will not send the child's transcripts? Nope. They demonstrated their pettiness, immaturity, and curious vindictiveness to me, a peer and potential referral base a long time ago. Was I surprised that personal belongings, including necessary daily medications, were sent COD?by ground? Actually, yes.

Not only did that shock me, it caused me to pick up the phone and discuss this gross mismanagement of a patient's medications with a malpractice attorney, who recommends HLA check to be sure their insurance premiums are paid.

To the parent: my suggestion is that you alert your attorney to your experience. Gather all proof of your allegations, including the boxes the personal effects were sent in, the COD receipt(s), the condition of any damaged items, a list of missing items, if any, and proof of payments made to HLA. Regardless of any contract signed (as a previous Anonymous poster cryptically stated), a minimum level of responsibility to the patient's health is required by ANY institution. That minimum includes making reasonable arrangements for the patient to have access to their medications. COD shipping by ground is not, by any standard, "reasonable."

So guess what, parent? You may be getting a sizeable percentage of the "investment" HLA coerced you to pay them right back into your pocket.

I'll be cheering for you from this sideline."

UNBIASED OUTSIDE OPINION BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL SAYS HLA IS "PREDATOR" VICTIMIZING PARENTS AND CHILDREN.  WAKE UP, PEOPLE.   :skull:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline WestSideStud2430

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/westsidestud2430
Service to others
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
On 2005-11-13 14:46:00, aftenthurston wrote:

"think what you wish... i'll know what i know...you can believe that Dr. Len sent me on here to "breach" your comments, but it doesn't affect how i see things. HLA does good for many people, whether or not they realize it... I for one, look up to Dr. Len, and think that he is only giving desperate parents an alternitive."

You went there!!!! Did you going to HLA cause you to start smoking crack!?!?!?!?  Why the hell else would you make such an ignorant and stupid comment>?

Offline WestSideStud2430

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/westsidestud2430
Service to others
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
On 2005-12-01 19:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Homosexuality USED to be in the DSM II as a diagnosed disorder, i assume that when HLA opened up they used that as part of a criteria on their application for enrollment...as of about 2 years ago they took it off their applications...below is the quote from The A.P.A. Normalization of Homosexuality, and the Research Study of Irving Bieber:

The factors that determined the decision of the APA to delete homosexuality from DSM-II were summarized as follows:

Gay activists had a profound influence on psychiatric thinking.

A sincere belief was held by liberal-minded and compassionate psychiatrists that listing homosexuality as a psychiatric disorder supported and reinforced prejudice against homosexuals. Removal of the term from the diagnostic manual was viewed as a humane, progressive act.

There was an acceptance of new criteria to define psychiatric conditions. Only those disorders that caused a patient to suffer or that resulted in adjustment problems were thought to be appropriate for inclusion in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.

Just to clear up the whole homosexuality as not a dx disorder...

thanks

a staff member...but don't as me to answer any of your questions like you like to bombard other staff with...not my place to answer them and most of the questions you ask i wouldnt have a clue about  :wave: "

Well, once again, you're assuming.  I've seen the most current admissions applications to both Hidden Lake and Ridge Creek (who both are on the DSM IV now) and homosexuality is still listed as a disorder on page 3 (I think) of the application.  Try again.

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
I just looked at both applications for Ridge Creek and for Hidden Lake and neither one state anything about homosexuality.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
On 2005-12-17 08:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just looked at both applications for Ridge Creek and for Hidden Lake and neither one state anything about homosexuality."
Can you post a link or the whole document(s)?  Thanks.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »
Go to their websites to view or download both documents.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »
Robert Bruce- you really shouldn't get on here and pretend to be a doctor.