Author Topic: Service to others  (Read 35126 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
Homosexuality USED to be in the DSM II as a diagnosed disorder, i assume that when HLA opened up they used that as part of a criteria on their application for enrollment...as of about 2 years ago they took it off their applications...below is the quote from The A.P.A. Normalization of Homosexuality, and the Research Study of Irving Bieber:

The factors that determined the decision of the APA to delete homosexuality from DSM-II were summarized as follows:

Gay activists had a profound influence on psychiatric thinking.
A sincere belief was held by liberal-minded and compassionate psychiatrists that listing homosexuality as a psychiatric disorder supported and reinforced prejudice against homosexuals. Removal of the term from the diagnostic manual was viewed as a humane, progressive act.
There was an acceptance of new criteria to define psychiatric conditions. Only those disorders that caused a patient to suffer or that resulted in adjustment problems were thought to be appropriate for inclusion in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.

Just to clear up the whole homosexuality as not a dx disorder...
thanks
a staff member...but don't as me to answer any of your questions like you like to bombard other staff with...not my place to answer them and most of the questions you ask i wouldnt have a clue about  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
Isnt it the DSM IV the current edition?

So are you claiming that HLA no longer accepts students for simply being homosexual?

Also isnt there still the problem of for years claiming they treat it as a disorder, yet the owner and large number of staff members were themselves gay?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
In my time there in the early days is wasn't treated as a disorder in terms of something being wrong with the person as much as it was acknowledging the fact that some students struggle with this issue.  We never disuaded someone from being homosexual, we just tried to help them figure out their identity and helped them be comfortable with who they are.  There was never any preaching to students to be one way or the other.  It was all about helping them be who they are.  It was listed as something that we treated because it is a legitimate issue for so many teens who are struggling with whether or not they are homosexual.  To not address it would be irresponsible.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
On 2005-12-02 14:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In my time there in the early days is wasn't treated as a disorder in terms of something being wrong with the person as much as it was acknowledging the fact that some students struggle with this issue.  We never disuaded someone from being homosexual, we just tried to help them figure out their identity and helped them be comfortable with who they are.  There was never any preaching to students to be one way or the other.  It was all about helping them be who they are.  It was listed as something that we treated because it is a legitimate issue for so many teens who are struggling with whether or not they are homosexual.  To not address it would be irresponsible.

"

And of course HLA would never do anything irrespondsible. What of the practice of 1. Trying to force gay kids out of the closet before they may have been ready or 2. Claiming any student who had a problem with homosexuality was themselves gay. Are these respondsible practices still in place?

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
students were not accepted into HLA merely for being homosexual... they, at one point, claimed to treat it, but there is no "treatment" for it, seeing as though it is not a disorder...
aften

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 20:07:00, aftenthurston wrote:

"students were not accepted into HLA merely for being homosexual... they, at one point, claimed to treat it, but there is no "treatment" for it, seeing as though it is not a disorder...

aften"

So then again why did they claim to treat it, and how do they rationalize both the owner and a large portion of the staff being themselves gay.

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
Service to others
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »
less than 15% of the staff are gay. I wouldn't call that a "large majority".

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
On 2005-12-11 16:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"less than 15% of the staff are gay. I wouldn't call that a "large majority"."

Please cite where you are getting your numbers from. Also are you taking into acount the entire history of the school?

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »
You cite where you get your "large" number of gay staff with facts, instead of guessing. I for a fact know that a large majority of staff are married. So therefore, they cannot also be gay can they.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
***students were not accepted into HLA merely for being homosexual... they, at one point, claimed to treat it, but there is no "treatment" for it, seeing as though it is not a disorder...
aften

It sounds like i have had a "good" time since HLA, but seriously i still am gay so they did not do shit for me, which is why my mom sent me there. she wanted me to be cured of "the gay". ummm... righhhhttttt... anyway i guess all i can say is that, whatever doesn't kill you, in fact does, make you stronger.
http://tinyurl.com/ygrr6b

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »
On 2005-12-12 03:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You cite where you get your "large" number of gay staff with facts, instead of guessing. I for a fact know that a large majority of staff are married. So therefore, they cannot also be gay can they."

From the fact that there were several openly gay staff members when I was there, along with the testimony of many other students spanning almost the entire operation of the school stating that there were always a good number of openly gay employees.

Your turn.

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
they were not a large number; rather a select few... you are sooooo wrong in this case. Plus, the fact that a staff member's sexual oreientation has nothing to with their credentials nor the way they function on campus, with their job...  if they are an openly gay staff member, then it's just that they are comfortable with who they are, and are not willing to hide it...
there was a "large number" of heterosexual staff members, were there not? do you think that the married staff memebers should have pretended that their family did not exist?
 DIVERSITY dear boy, diversity... that's all it was.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
and the train has been derailed yet again.

it's neither here nor there, regarding the exact number of staff who were gay. whether there were two or fifty.....let's not lose sight of the primary issue:

"....why did they claim to treat it, and how do they rationalize both the owner and [some] of the staff being themselves gay.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
Thankyou for saving me the trouble of reminding aften to stay on task.

Aften honey when youre done nailing yourself to the cross come down and discuss the actual issue.

The school employs a large percentage of openly gay staff members, has a gay owner and yet claims to treat homosexuality.

Rationalize this for me.

Also Im still waiting for you to cite your source for 15%.

• View Profile
Service to others
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »
We are still waiting for you to cite your source for your statement that a large number of staff are gay. Where is your proof of this?