Author Topic: Academics  (Read 9911 times)

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
all of the students are not at reals everyday at the same time. Like I previously stated, it's an AB schedule... Friday's however, when everyone is in reals, the teachers have meetings, and planning time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
all of the students are not at reals everyday at the same time. Like I previously stated, it's an AB schedule... Friday's however, when everyone is in reals, the teachers have meetings, and planning time.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
Youre either full of it or its been changed. Im guessing youre full of it.

When I was there every peer group went to reals at the same time Monday and Friday in the morning.

On Wednesday we would have some sort of specific reals depending on whatever particular issue your counsolers felt you were dealing with, this was generally a waste of time as the counsolers would generally place you in a group without asking you what was going on, thus you usually ended up in a group that had nothing to do with you. I personally ended up in a divorce support group many many times having come from a home deviod of any divorce.

These groups took place later in the afternoon, so wednesday morning, tuesday and thursday were for class-if you want to call it that remember you cant fail no matter what you do. The rest of the time is for reals or sitting on the field.

Remembering again your child can be pulled out of class at any time for any length of time in order to work on issues of some sort. Not to worry though, your child is virtually garunteed to make honor roll, ,irregardless of whether or not they attend class.

Offline MCP

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
The schedule is different now. All students have class everyday and it is only in the afternoons that they have Reals. The students who are not in reals have Academic Support where every teacher is available to them for tutoring. There is not a no-fail policy. We have Academic Support time and we use it to make sure that students have all the resources they need to understand and pass each class. It is entirely possible to fail. We are all full-time and all have degrees in out respective fields. My students write research papers, do projects, analyze primary source materials and refine their abilities to write professionally. It is pointless to argue about different people's experiences; I am only telling you what HLA is like right now. By the way, I am not Matt. I am a teacher.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
This is funny because teachers like Marla disagree with you? You do remember her dont you? HLA and Marty have worked very hard to make sure her post does not rememerge. Let me see if I cant dig it up.

I also find it funny how you speak of all the teachers having degrees in their respective field. I personally had to teach spanish because the math teacher they gave it to barely spoke a word. Yet I myself was not a teacher.

Also you seem to be evading the fact that again kids can be pulled out of class at any time for any length of time, and it wont affect their grades. Tell me just off hand how many kids failed your class last semester?

Offline joe dirt

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
that is exactly what it was like when i was there a few months ago, and your sugar coating that quite a bit.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
who is?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
***The schedule is different now. All students have class everyday and it is only in the afternoons that they have Reals.

What was the catalyst behind the change?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
On 2005-11-11 08:01:00, MCP wrote:

It is entirely possible to fail. We are all full-time and all have degrees in out respective fields. My students write research papers, do projects, analyze primary source materials and refine their abilities to write professionally. It is pointless to argue about different people's experiences; I am only telling you what HLA is like right now. By the way, I am not Matt. I am a teacher. "

I'm sure you're a good and devoted teacher.  I just wonder how long you'll stay at HLA.  I'm the parent of a kid who was there for a couple of years (pretty recently.)  She should have failed at least two subjects.  They cut her way too much slack, which was very nice of them, but how much did my child learn? The school is more focused on therapeutics than academics. That's a fact. I lived it.  Problem is the therapeutics aren't always what they say they are.

And where are the teachers (not to mention all the other staff) who were there so recently? Why is there such a revolving door?  I'm talking about really good people - counselors - Chris Jones and others too numerous to name. There was a counselor named Crissy who could only take it for six months before she fled.  Teachers - Tony Sims, Domindor, and others. Senior Staff people - Arnold (amazing guy) I heard he was fired one day for no reason after being there for like 8 years.  There were some really nice staff people, a school communicator,etc, who one day were gone. And if a parent tried to find out why someone left, everything was a big secret. Where's the continuity for these kids (especially with the counselors)?

I just wonder why the good people leave or get pushed out.  That school could be an awesome place if they would let the real professionals do their jobs.

There really is so much good about HLA,but they seem to be self-destructive.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
its molly i think. the teacher i mean. and the school is VERY HARD to fail. it is incredibly easy, with the exception of maybe 2 teachers, like hawley, who most kids dont even have. If you try, you will pass. And HLA pretty much makes you try, so its wayyyyy hard to fail.

"And where are the teachers (not to mention all the other staff) who were there so recently? Why is there such a revolving door? I'm talking about really good people - counselors - Chris Jones and others too numerous to name. There was a counselor named Crissy who could only take it for six months before she fled. Teachers - Tony Sims, Domindor, and others. Senior Staff people - Arnold (amazing guy) I heard he was fired one day for no reason after being there for like 8 years. There were some really nice staff people, a school communicator,etc, who one day were gone. And if a parent tried to find out why someone left, everything was a big secret. Where's the continuity for these kids (especially with the counselors)? "

i agree with this completly. its all a part of the programs manipulation...and you know what that means. RESTRICTIONS!!! yah, but the staff was allowed to be hypocritiacl in this and other matters i guess.

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
if you put no effort, you can and do fail. i know, i was in mostly AP level classes, and they were not the easiest thing... yeh, the standard classes are wicked easy, but if the student chooses to apply themself, and wants to put in the work to learn something, they can

Offline aftenthurston

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
oh, and the teacher that is posting is Molly Parsons...it's not hard to go to the HLA website and match up initials

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »
Id be interested to see if ol Molly can tell us how many students failed her classes last semester, honestly now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »
they dont offer AP now, and honors is a joke-the same class as the standard and you do "extra work" aka nothing

Offline MCP

• View Profile
Academics
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Yes, this is Molli...spell my name right at least. That is no secret, I just assumed that most of you wouldn't know me. The whole point of academic support and all is to give students every opportunity NOT to fail. Students are required to study and apply themsleves, but those who refuse fail. The point is not to have "easy" academics. The point is that since students are on campus the majority of the time, there are fewer distractions and no real reasons to fail. Not only do they have all of their teachers available, our Learning Center is awesome and those who have real learning needs are more than cared for. Back to the issue: many fail simply because they want to. To answer your question, this is my first FULL semester at HLA so I do not have any who failed LAST semester but I have many who are failing or are borderline failing right now. My goal is not to have a lot of failing students...I spend a lot of soap box time trying to convince my students that college (life in general, really) does not give second chances like HLA.
I cannot argue with any of your experiences at HLA--I do not know you. But I can tell you this: the first reason that I love working at HLA is my students. They are all bright and capable (WILLING is a subject for another day). I think I have some of the most creative teenagers on the planet in me classes. The second reason I love working at HLA is because of the teachers I am working with. I have wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in highschool myself. For me teaching highschool was my goal NOT a back-up career. I know my colleagues feel the same. That is a great thing at any workplace.