Author Topic: Comments from current Hyde students  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Comments from current Hyde students
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
Just to be clear on this last post, if a child is suffering abuse that is ILLEGAL of course they have the right to speech.  (It suddenly occured to me that this might be your point.)

SHORT OF THAT, however, for all intents and purposes, if they are at a private school, they don't!

See the articles I sited about.  That is just the law.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 11:15:00, Lars wrote:

"To the former parent who thinks a wimp's been writing this stuff:

Maybe your kid discovered himself there, but for others like myself, the true discovery and growth occured after we escaped from their repressive one size fits all program.

I became more outgoing and personable AFTER I left.

I discovered I was a top student AFTER I left.

I became happy and confident AFTER I left.

And by the way, I was a lot tougher, both physically and mentally, than most of the true believers there.  Believe it. :wink: "

See that's the thing about Hyde.  It doesn't always "work" right in the moment.  All change takes time.  If this is all true about you, I would argue that maybe Hyde DID work for you and you just don't realize it.  Or moreso, you don't realize where your life would have gone without that foundation.  I know you will dispute this, but your experience is similar to mine.  I was distraught at HYde, but deep down inside I knew they were giving me something that no one else ever had, and slowly later in life as I pulled things together, it was the Hyde teachings that I relied upon to guide me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 12:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Maybe your kid discovered himself there, but for others like myself, the true discovery and growth occured after we escaped from their repressive one size fits all program.

And by the way, I was a lot tougher, both physically and mentally, than most of the true believers there.  Believe it. :wink: "

See that's the thing about Hyde.  It doesn't always "work" right in the moment.  All change takes time.  If this is all true about you, I would argue that maybe Hyde DID work for you and you just don't realize it.  Or moreso, you don't realize where your life would have gone without that foundation.  I know you will dispute this, but your experience is similar to mine.  I was distraught at HYde, but deep down inside I knew they were giving me something that no one else ever had, and slowly later in life as I pulled things together, it was the Hyde teachings that I relied upon to guide me."

I'm glad to know that Hyde worked for you.  I don't question your sincerity.  But, are you willing to accept the fact that for many other students and parents, Hyde was a destructive, harmful environment that has left serious emotional scars?  This and other websites include testimonial after testimonial from thoughtful people who can identify some very specfic Hyde features that were very damaging (emotionally abusive staff, FLCs that were led by people who were not at all equipped to deal with the intense emotional drama, poor teaching, public shaming, etc., etc.).  This may not have been your experience, but, obviously, this was the experience for many others.  

There are lots of other boarding schools that serve struggling teens.  Interestingly, I've never heard these sorts of chronic complaints about most of these other schools, and I've looked (I'm not including the handful of schools that have been featured in the news because of their apparently abusive practices.)  There is something about Hyde that is very unique: It has managed to elicit some of the most vociferous, angry, vitriolic criticism you'll find anywhere concerning a school.  This should tell you something about the way many people experience Hyde.

I know what some Hyde fans and the Gaulds are likely to say: These critics are people who simply didn't commit themselves to the Hyde process, have attitude problems, etc.  The truth, however, is that many of these folks are thoughtful, principled people who understand Hyde and say it like it is.  That's a truth that Hyde fans simply have difficulty hearing.  Fortunately, many others ARE willing to hear that message.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 12:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

See that's the thing about Hyde.  It doesn't always "work" right in the moment.  All change takes time.  If this is all true about you, I would argue that maybe Hyde DID work for you and you just don't realize it.  Or moreso, you don't realize where your life would have gone without that foundation.  I know you will dispute this, but your experience is similar to mine.  I was distraught at HYde, but deep down inside I knew they were giving me something that no one else ever had, and slowly later in life as I pulled things together, it was the Hyde teachings that I relied upon to guide me."

Have you even listened to a word I've been saying?   What foundation?  What values - snitching on others?  Humiliating them emotionally?  Assuming you know what's good for all other people, regardless of what their problems might be?  Intolerance for dissent?  As time has gone by, I have come to realize that Hyde set back my emotional and intellectual development by at least three years.  It wasn't anything I learned at Hyde that got me going towards that success I've experienced.  Proper medication and therapy were critical. It was also the realization that I actually had some things going for me in terms of talent, character (yes, character) and personality that could never flourish in a place where others were trying to mold me into something I was not.

Why can't the folks who love Hyde realize that it's not the right kind of place or belief system for a lot of people?  Why can't they realize that some people succeed in spite of the place instead of because of it?

I've reflected on this for the last fifteen years, and I've come to the conclusion that it was not a very helpful or valuable experience (except to the extent that I learned to not be so judgmental towards others).  To put it another way, I'm a pretty successful person and I would NEVER send my kids there.  If they turn out to have serious emotional or educational problems, we'll look elsewhere.[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-11-06 13:11 ][ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-11-06 13:17 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
At this moment in my life, as a parent, I feel totally ashamed that I put my son at Hyde.  My son did not have emotional problems when he went.  (BTW, we keep hearing over and over again from the fans at hyde, that Hyde has a lot of kids with emotional problems.  If this is so, WHY do they advertise that they are an emotional growth prep school???)

Possibly Hyde is good for a small select group.  My guess is that Hyde is for WEAK families who are looking for a Cult Like Leader to guide them with their children. Most parents are at the end of their rope when they decide to place their children at Hyde.

Individuals who are prone to joining Cults have a particular characteristic which makes them vulnerable to these types of Leaders.  They need the crutch that Hyde provides.  What I am trying to say is that Hyde can be good for some, but not for most.  For that matter many people have gotten positive things out of joining the Hari Krishna or other Cults.  It is very common for people who are in Cults, to deny they are in a Cult. Most parents who are happy with Hyde, (there are very few each year) fit into this category.

My guess is that Lars is a very strong individual who wasn't going to fall and turn over his soul to Hyde and Joe Gauld.  Most grown adults and their kids realize after time at Hyde that it is only for the weak!  Did my son get something out of Hyde?  The answer to that is that everyone hopefully gets something out of everything they experience in life, but it didn't take Hyde to get him to where he is in life.  He too is a successful businessman and we all feel ashamed we got sucked into Hyde for a couple of years.  We NEVER talk about it to strangers for it is something we are embarassed about.  I find that most former parents try to hide the fact they were at Hyde.

You might ask why if Hyde is so bad are there posters saying positive things about the program.  You are always going to find someone who is happy with turning their lives over to someone else.  Look at all the Bush lovers, ha, ha!! As soon as Hyde found out about this website, they surely got the satisfied parents to help post on it.

My suggestion to some of you savy people who know the internet is to start some other websites about Hyde so that when perspective parents "google" Hyde, they will see more sites with information.  Right now this site is pretty far down below all the Hyde promotional materials.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 13:11:00, Lars wrote:

Why can't the folks who love Hyde realize that it's not the right kind of place or belief system for a lot of people? Why can't they realize that some people succeed in spite of the place instead of because of it?

Lars, it's not too dissimilar to battered spouse syndrome. In fact, an abusive romatic relationship is often called "a cult of one".

All of these comforting and reasonable things were taught by the ministers in their pulpits -- by teachers in Sunday schools and by parents at home. The children were victims. They were assaulted in the cradle -- in their mother's arms. Then, the schoolmaster carried on the war against their natural sense, and all the books they read were filled with the same impossible truths. The poor children were helpless. The atmosphere they breathed was filled with lies -- lies that mingled with their blood.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
At least you did not put your child in the Elan School :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared: