Author Topic: Wanna win the war on terrorists?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Wanna win the war on terrorists?
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
KING: We're back with Ambassador Joe Wilson. "The Politics of Truth" is his best seller. What do you make of the indictment of Scooter Libby?

WILSON: Well, I think the prosecutor was very clear that the indictment basically means that he was impeded in his efforts to get to the bottom of this matter and therefore is indicting on obstruction of justice. I think these are very serious charges. It's a sad day for America when indictments are handed up to the door of the White House.

At the same time, it seems to me, it's a reaffirmation of our system in which the rule of law is what our whole social contract is predicated on. No man is above the law, so I celebrate -- I celebrate Pat Fitzgerald's efforts and the efforts of the Justice Department and the FBI team and, in particular, my fellow citizens who sat on the grand jury for the last two years and looked at all the evidence.

That's what I'm clapping about! If we want to win the war on terrorism or terrorists or terrorist tactics and militant religious nuts, this is how we do it. We demonstrate a better way to deal with lawlessness, dishonorable behavior and betrayal in our elected public servants.

The mainstream in So Asia are not stupid, illeducated or unsophisticated. Especially Saudi Arabia. They've had free socialized education since the oil boom in the `60's, I think. Same w/ Iraq. It was about the most socially liberal country in the region for awhile.

These are really not people who can, or should, be beaten into submission. They've been beating each other pretty hard for a very long time. I think they can take a few blows w/o flinching. I don't think we have the stomach for that level of hostility and violence as a lifestyle. And I wouldn't like us very much if we did. Would you?

No, if we want to come out on the top (or at least not on the bottom) of that deal, we've got do use civility.

If, OTOH, we just want to win a war on people who live over our oil, well then that's going to have to be perpetual war on Terra. Agricultural oil fuels can't possibly be that expensive, can they? Even if it had to be cotton, which it doesn't, it would still be less destructive and cheaper.

The right to do something does not mean that doing it is right.
--William Safire

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
On 2005-11-01 20:15:00, Antigen wrote:

Agricultural oil fuels can't possibly be that expensive, can they? Even if it had to be cotton, which it doesn't, it would still be less destructive and cheaper.

Yeah, but Ag fuels could be produced anywhere, eliminating OPEC & Big Oil's near monopoly on production.  Give 'em time to figure out how to screw us on the deal, then we'll have alternative energy sources.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
No, I think this is one of those situations where we, the plebes, have to just take back our rightful liberty. There are actually some good signs of that developing. Around here, the local farmers (right wing red necks almost down to the man) are forming coops and competing rather well w/ the big grocery wholesalers. And the customers are, by far and away, supportive. It's only a matter of time before they own enough of the market to do wtf they want w/o fear of searious reprecussions.

It's in their interest as well as ours for them to grow some fuel crops, expand existing agrifuel processing facilities and distribution. The only thing stopping them this year is regulation. That regulation is absolutely meaningless w/o the will and ability of LOCAL authorities to enforce it. Look what's happening w/ MMJ out west. Sure, the feds can put on a couple of nice productions a couple of times a year. But they simply don't have the logistical or political clout to actually enforce federal laws in any meaningful way at the state and local level.

It'll happen, man. I'm convinced of it.

The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy.".
--George Washington, Revolutionary War General and U.S. President

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes