Author Topic: Looking for alternative to Hyde School  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Looking for alternative to Hyde School
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »
On 2005-11-17 19:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-14 18:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-14 17:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

You may call it whining if you wish.  I call it inappropriate, condescending, patronizing and manipulative behavior.  So do many, many others."

Here's my question:  How do you know if its many, many others?  Almost everyone who posts here is anonymous.  Attrition rate at Hyde is relevant but not determinative (since there are many reasons behind attrition).

Its always nice to know you aren't alone in an experience and/or perception, but extrapolating beyond "some (students/parents)" seems to lack an empirical basis.

"

You've asked a reasonable question.  Here's my answer:  This is the third year of our family's involvement with Hyde.  We've participated in the mandatory events associated with Summer Challenge, opening assemblies, FLCs, family weekends, regional seminars, and graduation.  My spouse and I have had "many, many" conversations with other parents during these events (for example, FLC roommates, informal chats after seminars and at graduation receptions) during which other parents have expressed their profound and intense anger, resentment, and hostility toward Hyde.  The issues they've raised are along the lines of points quite a few people have posted on this website.  The themes and issues are remarkably consistent: Hyde's arrogance, hypocrisy, mishandling of students' and parents emotional issues, the poor quality of much of Hyde's teaching, the inferior qualifications of some of Hyde's faculty, Hyde's lack of professional mental health staff, the unusually high admission AND attrition rate at Hyde, the number of kids who violate Hyde's ethics and run away from Hyde, Hyde's admission of many students who have serious mental health problems, Joe Gauld's patronizing and demeaning style, Hyde's failure to live up to its own professed "values," Hyde's poor reputation among many educational consultants . . . and on and on.  We have heard every single one of these complaints, multiple times, and from "many, many" other parents.  Most parents seem to feel compelled to remain anonymous for one major reason:  They don't trust Hyde and fear retaliation and undue pressure.  

Does everyone at Hyde express these concerns?  No.  Does Hyde have its defenders?  Yes.  Are there "many, many" parents out there who are enraged with Hyde and communicate that.  Yes -- absolutely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
You've asked a reasonable question. Here's my answer: This is the third year of our family's involvement with Hyde. We've participated in the mandatory events associated with Summer Challenge, opening assemblies, FLCs, family weekends, regional seminars, and graduation. My spouse and I have had "many, many" conversations with other parents during these events (for example, FLC roommates, informal chats after seminars and at graduation receptions) during which other parents have expressed their profound and intense anger, resentment, and hostility toward Hyde. The issues they've raised are along the lines of points quite a few people have posted on this website. The themes and issues are remarkably consistent: Hyde's arrogance, hypocrisy, mishandling of students' and parents emotional issues, the poor quality of much of Hyde's teaching, the inferior qualifications of some of Hyde's faculty, Hyde's lack of professional mental health staff, the unusually high admission AND attrition rate at Hyde, the number of kids who violate Hyde's ethics and run away from Hyde, Hyde's admission of many students who have serious mental health problems, Joe Gauld's patronizing and demeaning style, Hyde's failure to live up to its own professed "values," Hyde's poor reputation among many educational consultants . . . and on and on. We have heard every single one of these complaints, multiple times, and from "many, many" other parents. Most parents seem to feel compelled to remain anonymous for one major reason: They don't trust Hyde and fear retaliation and undue pressure.

Does everyone at Hyde express these concerns? No. Does Hyde have its defenders? Yes. Are there "many, many" parents out there who are enraged with Hyde and communicate that? Yes -- absolutely.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »
On 2005-11-18 04:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You've asked a reasonable question. Here's my answer: This is the third year of our family's involvement with Hyde. We've participated in the mandatory events associated with Summer Challenge, opening assemblies, FLCs, family weekends, regional seminars, and graduation. My spouse and I have had "many, many" conversations with other parents during these events (for example, FLC roommates, informal chats after seminars and at graduation receptions) during which other parents have expressed their profound and intense anger, resentment, and hostility toward Hyde. The issues they've raised are along the lines of points quite a few people have posted on this website. The themes and issues are remarkably consistent: Hyde's arrogance, hypocrisy, mishandling of students' and parents emotional issues, the poor quality of much of Hyde's teaching, the inferior qualifications of some of Hyde's faculty, Hyde's lack of professional mental health staff, the unusually high admission AND attrition rate at Hyde, the number of kids who violate Hyde's ethics and run away from Hyde, Hyde's admission of many students who have serious mental health problems, Joe Gauld's patronizing and demeaning style, Hyde's failure to live up to its own professed "values," Hyde's poor reputation among many educational consultants . . . and on and on. We have heard every single one of these complaints, multiple times, and from "many, many" other parents. Most parents seem to feel compelled to remain anonymous for one major reason: They don't trust Hyde and fear retaliation and undue pressure.

Does everyone at Hyde express these concerns? No. Does Hyde have its defenders? Yes. Are there "many, many" parents out there who are enraged with Hyde and communicate that? Yes -- absolutely."

This says it all.  Hyde loves to preach about how important it is for students to be accountable and examine their "attitude."  What these website postings are screaming, loud and clear, is that Hyde needs to take its OWN medicine.  Hyde needs to take a hard look at its own attitude and be held accountable.  Many people are now speaking out about Hyde's arrogant attitude and are holding Hyde publicly accountable.  This website (and others I've seen) are exposing Hyde; the school can no longer Hyde behind the veil that has protected it for decades.  The word about Hyde is out.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
On 2005-11-18 04:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

Does everyone at Hyde express these concerns? No. Does Hyde have its defenders? Yes. Are there "many, many" parents out there who are enraged with Hyde and communicate that. Yes -- absolutely

Very often, if you're the only one to keep you cool when everyone else is losing theirs, you just don't know what the hell is going on. Think about it.

May 12-13: Sowed Hemp at Muddy  hole by Swamp. August 7: Began to separate the Male from the Female at Do - rather too late.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington (Diary)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
On 2005-11-20 21:36:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-11-18 04:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

Does everyone at Hyde express these concerns? No. Does Hyde have its defenders? Yes. Are there "many, many" parents out there who are enraged with Hyde and communicate that. Yes -- absolutely

Very often, if you're the only one to keep you cool when everyone else is losing theirs, you just don't know what the hell is going on. Think about it.

Very often, when you think a lot of other people are with you but you don't know for sure so you just assert it since there is really no way to prove the numbers one way or the other....it means you may be delusional and need help.  Think about it.