Author Topic: Whats the deal with King George?  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Whats the deal with King George?
« on: October 20, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
My mom is considering sending my brother to King George after he completes his wilderness program.  I wanted to know what the school is really like, both positive and negative.  Also, because I think my parents are going to send him to some "therapeutic" school, I wanted to know which of these schools are the best if you have to go.  My parents havent decided on a school yet and I want to make sure my brother goes to the best place. Furthermore, if anyone knows of any boarding schools (that people like) that have therapeutic elements to them, without all the restrictions and rules of the acutal "therapeutic" schools.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:24:00 PM »
Try Tranquility Bay in Jamaica. I hear it's a really neat place! Your brother will love it!

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
http://www.fornits.baremetal.com/wwf/vi ... 8&forum=11

Also, get yourself aquainted with this list, and the rest of the site, too.

http://isaccorp.org/watchlist.html

King George is on there.

Another good page out of ISAC:

http://www.isaccorp.org/cults.html

with yet another mention of the CEDU schools.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
You from Massachusetts?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 06:50:00 AM »
The "deal" on KGS is that it didn't shut with the former owner's bankruptcy, and was recently bought by a health care company that owns a lot of hospitals, and other institutions.  It's hard to say what or how much will be different, but somethings will, so history is no sure thing to be the future -- it will only suggest things.

I know of someone at KGS.  By reports, it is a fairly soft, possibly artsy place.  It is far from the most demanding of places.  Whether or not what they do is especially effective or worth the money is a whole different question.

I think well-run wilderness programs and therapeutic schools are good, despite what most posting here will say.  An allegation doesn't make a truth, and one person's reprimand may be another's abuse.  Good places have been hurt by ill-considered allegations.  Now that that is out of the way ... the choice of any school, therapeutic or not, is more than a matter of "the best place".  Best depends on the needs.  Georgetown University may be the best for studying international affairs or diplomacy, but not for astrophysics.

Tell your parents about this site - and also that there is a strong anti-program bias, just as some other sites are "pro-program".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Seeing as how every thread around here ends up with some pussy telling everyone to suck his cock and that they're a fagget, the guy is probably just gonna realize that CEDU actually degenerates you instead of developing you, and send his kid elsewhere. So I guess, in a way, mission accomplished.

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
If you're looking for good schools in Vermont that truly help kids, then please don't waste your time or money with a cedu knock-off like King George.  There are many great schools in vermont that truly help and prepare kids to succeed, and are tailored to meet each child's individual needs.

I can personally vouch for Rock Point School in Burlington, VT, having attended there after the nightmare of Cedu.  Unlike Cedu and it's knock off's, Rock Point School is Not-For-Profit, which means that their primary concern is your child's wellfare and education, and not how much Money they can gouge from you. Back when I attended, tuition at Rock Point was barely over 1/3 of what Cedu was charging. Having spent roughly the same amount of time in both schools, I can honestly tell you that Rock Point School is superior to Cedu in every way.

Additionally, Rock Point staff are ALL qualified top-notch educators,as well as some of the most caring people I've ever known.  Unlike the Cedu Knock-offs, at Rock Point you can rest assured that your kid won't be learning english or math from highschool dropouts.

Two other Vermont Schools I've heard good things about are the Gaylor School and Pine Ridge Academy, both located in the vicinity of Burlington. If I remember correctly, both of these schools accept day students and boarders.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »
Did you attend King George?

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »
On 2005-10-21 16:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Did you attend King George?"

Hell No!  I was at Cedu Running Springs, the original mind-fuck factory.  I am however familiar enough with King George's methods, to honestly say that it's as worthless as the rest of the Cedu scam shacks!  KGS isn't worth your money, trust me.

If you're looking for good schools in Vermont, try the places I mentioned, specifically Rock Point School.  You won't be disappointed, and your kid will thank you for it later.

Offline Defiant's mom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
One of my daughter's friends "transferred" from KGS to Rock Point.  I've only heard good things about the latter.

To be fair, KGS was a big help to my daughter for about four or five months, but then again, maybe some other small, highly-structured, hands-on school would've done the trick too.  Maybe even better.  I don't know exactly what goes on at KGS, but I do know that they have a "guilty til proven innocent" outlook that raises my shackles big-time!  Because I have been trying to brint this stuff out into the open, I'm now perceived as "the enemy."

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
If King George is run anything like CEDU, get her the hell out.  Years from now, she will realize it's even more coercive than she thinks now.  Of course many students will perform well in a highly structured environment where you are carefully monitored and coerced and badgered into submission.  Even the military can temporarily tame its free thinking recruits. But that is not authentic change. And it does not encourage individual thought, honesty (because your "story" must comply with their version of your past), or INDIVIDUATED support.  All the wacky lingo and "tools" do not translate into the real world.
hanlea

Offline Defiant's mom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »
Thank you, Shanlea, for your excellent points.  Of course, you're right....I would get her out, but I'm powerless to send her to a better school, because I don't have the funds, and she is reluctant to leave without a plan in place for her next step.  Her father and grandmother are not convinced that she shouldn't stay at KGS (which was a CEDU school until recently, and still use the same program).  We will be having a conference at the school later this week.  My daughter and I will be the only ones on "our side of the table" so to speak.  Wish us luck!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 02:21:00 AM »
I know from personal experience that these conferences are highly manipulated.  I am sure they are already "coaching" her father and grandmother.

My own experience was that they manipulated my parents with lies, had my parents--atypically--lie to me, and told me a bunch of crap about my parents to perpetuate the cycle of mistrust.  They also used the whole "dead, insane, or on drugs" line with my parents, telling them I was a druggie prior to CEDU. I was not a druggie prior to CEDU and in fact, that had nothing to do with why I was sent there.  The funny thing is you start to buy their bullshit as a survival mechanism from all the badgering.

Anyway, the important thing is to trust your gut. Also, I agree that it is helpful to have an effective exit plan. Serb mentioned Rock Point as a not for profit, and some schools have scholarships for those in need. Is there any way she could go home to you, and finish at an alternative school of some sort?

After I finished CEDU, I was lucky enough to find a small, private school run by high school teachers who were also college professors. The whole environment was more conducive to my learning style. I know this may not be an option in your case, but I also know there are many community resources that people don't even know about.

I wish you both much luck.  By the way, it may be helpful to come up with a strategy before the meeting so you will be assertive without being reactive. Sometimes people will push your buttons to put you on the defensive and undermine your confidence.  I'm sure you are much more savvy about these things than I am; I tend to be overly trusting and I'm always surprised when someone pulls a "fast one."

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 02:22:00 AM »
The above post was mine; I forgot to log in.
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »
i just was released from king george yesterday my parents and i came t oa conclusion after 5 months that it was a really bad place that was total brainwashing and not organised. the rules  changed on  a weekly basis they seemed to have a higher staff turnover rate then mcdonalds!! no body new what was going on. It is very much a cedu knock off but if you ask them they will tell you other wise. it fucked up my life. Ive seen kids there who were perfectly fine fuck up becuase of the oprresive nature of the program. True, it is very much a guilt based guilty untill proven innocent place. They have cedu style workshops that are exacly the same as the ones they used when owned by cedu now they are owned by universal health services and it has only gotten stricter you can only have 1/2 hour on the phone per week with your parents and that less then the average prisoner in a jail. who gets 30 minutes a day on the fone. its a half assed program and a half assed education as well. sadest part is is the kids who buy into it and are brain washed into believeing its evry mind rapeing trick. I know i was there just a day ago

-----max